My Complete Collection - One a Day

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gbelleh

My Complete Collection - One a Day

Post by gbelleh »

Sort of like my Ultimate EDC Rotation thread, I'm starting a new thread to dust off each of my knives that maybe hasn't gotten enough attention lately.

The plan is each day, to show a simple pic or two of each knife in my collection (one a day), with just a brief paragraph about each one, and a comment or two. Not a whole review like the other thread. Feel free to comment if you like. The knives will be shown in the order I received them, starting today with my first ever Spyderco...

The Tenacious. Purchased January 2010.

I bought this knife in January 2010 with an Amazon gift card (after doing a little research on YouTube and stumbling across a certain knife reviewer named Nutnfancy. Yes, he was a major influence in my giving Spyderco a try). I wanted a new knife to replace my aging Gerber liner lock folder I had been carrying for years (I was not really much of a knife guy before getting into Spyderco). This knife changed my entire perception of what an EDC knife could and should be. The Tenacious has been a solid performer, and still sees some use around the house.

Check in tomorrow to see the next knife...
Last edited by gbelleh on Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-red-white
Liquid Cobra

Re: My Complete Collection - One a Day

Post by Liquid Cobra »

The Tenacious was my first Spyderco as well. I'm not ashamed to say it was Nutnfancy's video that made me go out and buy it too. I look forward to reading your future posts.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Liquid Cobra wrote:The Tenacious was my first Spyderco as well. I'm not ashamed to say it was Nutnfancy's video that made me go out and buy it too. I look forward to reading your future posts.
I've got a Tenacious too......third Spyderco I picked up after the sabre ground s30v Manix 2 and the 2013 Forum knife.......great bang for the buck kind of knife!

Yeah, I've seen that vid as well.......as soon as you mentioned it I just couldn't get the sound of that whip noise that he kept making out of my head........the guy definitely marches to the beat of his own drummer. :rolleyes:

But love him or hate him.......you've got to admit that he was one of the very early pioneers pushing open the boundaries of Youtube reviews.

I do in general kind of like the guys video's but I have to ration them out over time since they usually run pretty long. String a couple of them along and you could have pretty well watched a feature length film. ;)
Last edited by ManixFan on Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Nice thread :)
The Tenacious is the knife I gifted my nephew.
timlara

Post by timlara »

Good idea for a thread, Gino! Looking forward to seeing what you've got in your collection.
ManixFan wrote: Yeah, I've seen that vid as well.......as soon as you mentioned it I just couldn't get the sound of that whip noise that he kept making out of my head........the guy definitely marches to the beat of his own drummer. :rolleyes:

But love him or hate him.......you've got to admit that he was one of the very early pioneers pushing open the boundaries of Youtube reviews.
Totally agree w/ you on Nutnfancy. His style probably rubs a lot of people the wrong way, but I like his knife reviews and actually really enjoy some of his "philosophy" videos as they are often surprisingly moving/inspiring.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I think the issue is that any of his videos can be watched by someone who's never seen any of them before, and you don't have to know anything about the topic. This is great if you actually don't know anything, but can be tiring if you do. He also was responsible for recommending me to Spyderco after a Cold Steel voyager didn't quite work as an EDC. Oh, and awesome concept for a thread, BTW.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Looking forward to this thread, Gino :).
juliusjammer

Post by juliusjammer »

I too purchased a Tenacious after Nutnfancy's video. I love the knife as a EDC and don't worry about it like I do when I carry one of my sprint runs. Great thread!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The Tenacious and Nutnfancy started me on the Spyderco path, too. Glad of it, even though I have since gifted the Tenacious to a neighbor and come to see Nutnfancy, in spite of his usually thoughtful gear reviews, as both narcissistic and politically extreme.

Thanks for starting this thread, Gino. It will be fun.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

My next knife was the Centofante 3, ordered just a few days after getting the Tenacious.

Knife # 3 - Centofante 3 - January 2010. (knife # 2 was a Black/Black Paramilitary 1, sold a few months after purchase)

Another solid performer that exceeded my expectations. It's nice and thin in the pocket, with a versatile blade shape capable of excellent slicing performance.
Last edited by gbelleh on Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

The Cento 3 was my first Spyderco. I don't know what it is, but I still think it fits my hand better than just about any other knife..
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Next Spydie was the Native II. Actually, I bought a Paramilitary 1 (black with black blade) just before this one, but it's no longer in my collection. That Para 1 was very impressive though, and along with this Native, I was totally sold on Spyderco by this point.

Knife # 4 - January 2010.
Last edited by gbelleh on Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

So it took you about 4 knives to get hooked eh? That's pretty fast. Would you say you made a conscious decision to stick with spyderco from then on?

I would say I was hooked at my second knife which was the PM2. I didn't make a conscious decision to not buy other brands, it just worked out that anytime I had funds for a new toy, I would buy a Spyderco. Of course now, I'd never buy another brand lol. I'm tempted by Rick Hinderer knives though..

Nice Native btw.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

No, not at all. I still buy knives from many makers. Though now I have a much better idea of what a quality knife should be. And I still almost always end up with a Spyderco in my pocket most days.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

gbelleh wrote:My next knife was the Centofante 3
I like the looks of that model, I would like to see it scaled up to a 4" blade. Actually the Starmate is already pretty much there, but the thing I like best about the Cento is the sculpted scales and the Starmate has plain G10.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Liquid Cobra wrote:So it took you about 4 knives to get hooked eh? That's pretty fast. Would you say you made a conscious decision to stick with spyderco from then on?

I would say I was hooked at my second knife which was the PM2. I didn't make a conscious decision to not buy other brands, it just worked out that anytime I had funds for a new toy, I would buy a Spyderco. Of course now, I'd never buy another brand lol. I'm tempted by Rick Hinderer knives though..

Nice Native btw.
I got hooked on Spyderco while I was working in a small knife shop. At the time, I had access to a whole lot of knives to play around with, from Benchmade, Kershaw/ZT, CRK, CRKT, (including experienced users and fans of all of these knives) but the lightness, build quality, and steel choice in Spyderco's Japanese line in particular really called out to me. Looking for my first "nice" EDC, the Spyderco Stretch 2 w/ ZDP-189 beat out a Benchmade 940 for the space in my pocket. Funny enough, my first impression of the Stretch was that it was made foir hands smaller than mine; but after a few weeks of use it really felt like it was designed just for me. I think it was at this point that I was "hooked." It's not that I would never buy another brand, but rather like you, any time I have money to spend on a new knife there's another Spyderco I'd like to add to my collection more than a knife from another brand.

The Native, for whatever reason, has never fit my hand quite right (nor the Manix); maybe I just need to buy one and use it for a couple weeks! :p
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Next was the CF ZDP-189 Caly 3. This one really impressed me, with top notch fit and finish. And it was probably the sharpest knife I had ever handled. There was no going back at this point.

Knife # 5 - February 2010.
Last edited by gbelleh on Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Very nice.

My first Spydie, the Vallotton got me hooked.
That's a heckuva first Spydie if I don't say so myself lol. I was pretty much like "wow"....
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I've never connected with the Caly 3, but for some reason I love the UKPK and the Caly 3.5. It makes no sense, but there it is. I've been seriously thinking about getting a Caly 3.5 ZDP-189 but Spyderco keeps releasing models that bump it down the list.

Would you say that the laminate steel is as soft as they say? If it was a dedicated apple knife would it still scratch? It's not that soft is it?

@liquid_cobra
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I have the 3 and 3.5 CF Calys and I definitely prefer the 3.5 because it fits my hands better. The laminate is soft enough to show scratches from cardboard and other abrasive materials, but I think you'd be just fine cutting something soft like fruit.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden