2015 Forum Knife Freestyle Model Nomination

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PayneTrain

2015 Forum Knife Freestyle Model Nomination

Post by PayneTrain »

I'm sure there's a better way to word that, but I think it explains the idea. This is an alternate voting thread, just to see if there is enough interest in models not currently on the ballot to warrant some reconsideration of the decision process.

So have at it! What model do you think would make a great forum knife? Keep in mind things like price, feasibility, popularity...or don't! No rules, just throw your ideas out there and we'll see if there's a common theme anywhere that hasn't been picked up on yet.
Surfingringo

Re: 2015 Forum Knife Freestyle Model Nomination

Post by Surfingringo »

May I make one suggestion? I really like the way Manixfan did the poll, leaving it where you could change your vote up until the end if you saw that what you initially voted on had no real chance. I would suggest doing the same here as that might allow folks to get together and rally behind a particular model if it gathers steam. Just a thought.

My choice is:

FORUM T-SHIRT!
Last edited by Surfingringo on Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I don't want to start another poll yet. This is more to see which models should be in the poll. I believe this whole thing started with talk of a serrated Military, and I've also seen the Native, Delica, Michael Walker, Goddard, and other great ideas mentioned. Just seeing if there's enough interest in something different or if it really is going to between the PM2 and Caly 3.5. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'll take either!
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Ok everyone.......let's vote about voting.....or as was similarly described on another thread.....
......."argue about arguing" ;) :D

I'm sorry guys if your first choice is not currently represented in the two current leaders, or alternatively, you feel that the wishes expressed by Forumites within the current polling should just be thrown out in preference to a different set of options that you might prefer instead of the current range of options...... but that's the way the democracy crumbles.

I'm sure that this new thread is going to attract 109 people posting their individual preferences and then result in the subsequent nightmare of a World Cup elimination styled polling due to the maximum polling number restriction of 10 options. Then also having the initial poll voting as to what knives should be placed within each 10 unit voting group.

Edited
Last edited by ManixFan on Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

UKPK!

1. Made in Golden
2. Legal almost worldwide (wider audience)
3. Lightweight
4. Classic design (Caly 3.5's cousin)
5. Not very expensive
6. Sal's design
7. G10 or FRN are great scale materials
8. I don't think a lot of members here have one so it would be a new addition to your collection
9. Wireclip (seems popular)
10. Great ergonomics
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

Well since we are back to freestyle im all for michael walker c22 carbon fibre (similar to the blue domino but a different color red maybe) with superblue steel.
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.
Fred S

Post by Fred S »

Military with some kind of new steel S110V maybe
remnar

Post by remnar »

UKPK with G10 or CF scales and a good steel would be awesome.

I don't know how long that I'll stick with this but I've been contemplating the purchase of a UKPK for a long time.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Liquid Cobra wrote:UKPK!

1. Made in Golden
3. Lightweight
5. Not very expensive
6. Sal's design
8. I don't think a lot of members here have one so it would be a new addition to your collection
10. Great ergonomics

So we are now back to considering a non-locking knife that 70% of an 81 voter poll sample size has already indicated to be something that they strongly disapproved in the locking, non-locking poll that another Forumite organized?

Before the original poll revealed the opinions of other Forumites, I briefly thought that although not my first choice that the UKPK might be an option too. :) But then when I really thought about it, I realized that I don't really want a non-locking Forum knife and I expressed my wishes through this past voting.....the only "slippie" that I've seen so far that I might consider is the PITS. This same desire was also expressed by an overwhelming majority of voters 70% and the other 30% weren't even people that actually wanted a non-locking knife. They were just those that really didn't care one way or the other....with only 4% polled who strongly preferred a non-locking knife. I really think that considering a UKPK as the next Forum knife in the face of such a strongly expressed preference would be a true abandonment of democratic principles. :(

Oh, well......time for bed now......it will be interesting to see how this Forum knife selection process bears out. :confused:
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

ManixFan wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:UKPK!

1. Made in Golden
3. Lightweight
5. Not very expensive
6. Sal's design
10. Great ergonomics

So we are now back to considering a non-locking knife that 70% of an 81 voter poll sample size has already indicated to be something that they strongly disapproved in the locking, non-locking poll that another Forumite organized?
As the OP said..
PayneTrain wrote:So have at it!
I did just that. That's what I'd like to see, I'm not speaking for anybody else. We have those scientific threads, this one is the opposite I beleive.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

C22 Michael Walker, HAP40 blade (I'm fine with super blue as well). Antique ivory micarta scales (black G10 ok as well). Lum Tanto folder with the same options would also be stellar:D
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I think that to avoid the problem of flippers (which people keep flipping out about in other threads), we need to pick a knife that nobody wants. This will insure that only the most die-hard of Spyderco fans get one and that there will be plenty for everyone. I suggest:

T-Mag
Non-drilled laminated K390/CPM-S125V liners
Chinese-made "stainless surgical steel" blade
CE blade with serrations at tip
Salmon pink Sermollan handle
Integrated clip for left-hand, tip-down only
Thumbstud instead of spyderhole
"Spyderco Forum 2015 Super Tactical Knife Xtreme" engraved on blade with a black widow instead of the usual Spyderco bug
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd like to see a Manix 2 with a custom interchangeable lock design that can be switched out from back lock, compression lock, CBBL, liner and frame locks at will so everyone can have their favorite lock, it would have a Damascus blade made up of 17 different steel types all melted down and mixed together to make a super alloy that anyone can sharpen, takes an edge down to 5 degrees inclusive, doesn't chip or roll, is rust proof and holds an edge like ceramic. For a handle I'd like Moby Dick whale ivory inlaid into titanium scales. Oh and I need it to weigh less than 2 ounces and still be built for hard use, may as well bring the blade in at about 1.21463mm with a full flat grind on one side and a full hollow on the back side, and let's do a tanto hawkbill recurve edge. Let's do a removable lanyard hole too. I'd reeeeally like to keep cost down on this one too so let's ballpark it at or under $100.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Evil D wrote:I'd like to see a Manix 2 with a custom interchangeable lock design that can be switched out from back lock, compression lock, CBBL, liner and frame locks at will so everyone can have their favorite lock, it would have a Damascus blade made up of 17 different steel types all melted down and mixed together to make a super alloy that anyone can sharpen, takes an edge down to 5 degrees inclusive, doesn't chip or roll, is rust proof and holds an edge like ceramic. For a handle I'd like Moby Dick whale ivory inlaid into titanium scales. Oh and I need it to weigh less than 2 ounces and still be built for hard use, may as well bring the blade in at about 1.21463mm with a full flat grind on one side and a full hollow on the back side, and let's do a tanto hawkbill recurve edge. Let's do a removable lanyard hole too. I'd reeeeally like to keep cost down on this one too so let's ballpark it at or under $100.
Now that's some good material sir! Your levity is much appreciated and welcomed as it seems we've gotten to taking ourselves too **** serious...again.

Fwiw: I would say the removable lanyard hole should be standard issue on all Spydies, but personally I wouldn't have just thrown that idea out on an open forum where anyone can steal it. Oh well...too late now.
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

I would like a UKPK or Urban a lot. I also think something unusual like the Dodo or Poliwog could be interesting. Their clever and innovative designs represent the company well.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

PM2 in M4, S110V, K390...come to think of it, I would take a Forum PM2 in just about any steel!

But as I have said in other threads, any Forum knife will be fine, and I will buy one no matter what it is.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Autonomy with an Odin's Eye Damasteel plain edged FFG wharncliffe blade and ivory scales. :D Honestly though, I'm about at the point where I'd rather have a Forum t-shirt.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

The Deacon wrote:Autonomy with an Odin's Eye Damasteel plain edged FFG wharncliffe blade and ivory scales. :D Honestly though, I'm about at the point where I'd rather have a Forum t-shirt.
I'm down for a forum shirt!

@liquid_cobra
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
The Deacon wrote:Autonomy with an Odin's Eye Damasteel plain edged FFG wharncliffe blade and ivory scales. :D Honestly though, I'm about at the point where I'd rather have a Forum t-shirt.
I'm down for a forum shirt!
Large PLEASE!! John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

As the most common requests are: "affordable" and "soon" I say leave the steel sprints to sprints/exclusives. While the PM2 is obviously the most popular knife, and will be the most agreed upon design, it will also generate the most "outside" demand, especially in a different steel. In general I think the forum knife should be special for it's own sake, be classy, and visually different from most of what's been done before. I think that previous forum knives were home runs in this respect, like the inset bug or the diamond milling on the last one. I think being made at Golden probably increases the feasibility. I think that it being an in-house design seems the most fitting, but I know collab models have been done and that's cool too. I go through all of this because I don't have a strong opinion on a single model/color/steel, but more a series of qualities.

Too long/didn't read? Here are my preferred qualities, in order:
Visually interesting
"Standard" steel (stainless)
Classic/niche design for the spyderco conneseurs
In house design
Golden made (mostly to control feasibility/cost)

Some ideas I previously threw out there (I now realize many are not Golden made):
Worker with natural G10
SE Police/Military with black G10 and a red spyder inlaid
Salsa with the "Forum Knife" engraved on the handle instead of the blade
Ocelot with something other than the paws cut out of the G-10
Cat with the silver fiber weave (from the Bradley Air)
Rookie with natural G10