If You Own Both a Slysz Techno and a Slysz Bowie ...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Orlando De Free

If You Own Both a Slysz Techno and a Slysz Bowie ...

Post by Orlando De Free »

I would like to know your opinion of how the Bowie compares to the Techno. I consider the Techno one of the best knives I've ever owned regardless of price. I don't own a Bowie, but I'm considering buying one.

What are your thoughts in comparing the two?

Re: If You Own Both a Slysz Techno and a Slysz Bowie ...

Post by 1623 »

Studey did a really nice write up that you may find helpful:

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... lysz+bowie" target="_blank
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I have both, and the Techno is one of my all-time favorites. The Slysz Bowie is equally well made, but doesn't seem as beefy in its construction. The contoured scales feel thinner in hand, and the blade stock is thinner. But the Bowie still seems plenty strong. The only small complaint I have about the Bowie is the pocket clip, which is positioned so it catches pocket fabric. Other than that, it's almost the perfect EDC for my uses.

A couple pics from another thread...

:bug-red-white
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Those are some beautiful pieces.
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

The Techno I love for its uniqueness. It should be too short and stout, but surprisingly it really works very well, especially with a fob/lanyard. The Bowie, to me, is a more functional design...more traditionally functional that's for sure. Easier to one hand open/close, easier to grip, with a blade length I'm more used to using. I really like them both. A lot. Both are in my top 10. Probably in my top 5 right now.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

IMO both Techno and Bowie are the best Spydercos ever.Techno is a stout but beautifull EDC and Bowie is a terrific allarounder.Don't hesitate.Buy a Bowie and it will make you happy :)
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I also have both.

And i must say the Techno is the best EDC i have.
Now the bowie is to my conclusion the best of the 2 and now i say that i must say if it comes to almost all cuttings tasks i think the bowie is the best spyderco at the moment. Now if i would live in the us i would edc that one. But now the length of the techno is wiser. :)
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

The Techno is cooler and I prefer the styling on it, but the Bowie is better at almost every knife task there is. The Bowie is almost boring in it's non-flashy perfection. I haven't found anything it doesn't do well yet.

My only gripe was the Bowie shape of the spine, but a grinder made short work of that and it's perfect now.
Before:

Now:

I still carry the Techno a lot since most people think it is cute while the slightly larger Bowie can seem a bit much for some people. The Techno also carries very well in the watch pocket of most trousers.
LC Kid

Slysz Techno & Slysz Bowie: Best Ever Spydies!

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

I have been buying/owning/carrying/using Spydies as far as I can remember. And of course I have my All Time Favorites among them.

But since the very first time I saw the Techno I realized that something outstanding was about to happen in modern production cutlery. And it really did! :)

Now I own both the Techno & Slysz Bowie and I can tell you this: Spyderco achieved a way superior level of excellence with this designs. By Far. :spyder:

No doubt they truly are way over almost any Custom I have ever seen. :D

And certainly they belong between my All Time Top Five Spydies Ever. Like forever. :cool:
flash900

Post by flash900 »

In another forum, I once said the Techno was like having a small Les George VECP folder.

I'd also rank the Slysz Bowie up there with the Georges in quality.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

... Then you own two pieces of Spyderco near-perfection. 'Nuff said!

I ordered a +2mm black G10 backspacer from Luke at Cuscadi for my Techno (don't try to RIT dye the stock blue backspacer, the dye won't take since they've sealed the G10 somehow!). The added height gives it more to grab when drawing it from your pocket, plus I needed these knives to match each other! I'm OCD that way... The Techno is great, but the Slysz Bowie is just pure awesomeness. Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

If the Slysz Bowie had an orange backspacer and a 1/4" longer pocket clip, it might be perfection (for me). :D
:bug-red-white
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

gbelleh wrote:If the Slysz Bowie had an orange backspacer and a 1/4" longer pocket clip, it might be perfection (for me). :D
For me it's the profile of the handle. That little point at the butt of the Bowie's handle (highlighted below) pretty much ruins the ergos for me. If the Slysz Bowie had a little flat spot at the but of the handle similar to the Techno, then it would be the perfect knife for me.

SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

This forum is really going to break my bank account.
I have a Techno that I love, and really didn't give the Bowie much consideration.... Until now. I want one!
Going back to Caly.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

SpeedHoles wrote:This forum is really going to break my bank account.
I have a Techno that I love, and really didn't give the Bowie much consideration.... Until now. I want one!
Be onest ! You need one :)
PiterM

Post by PiterM »

Got both. Techno is perfect urban EDC (at least for me) but Slysz Bowie... man, it's just so versatile knife! For urban carry, in the field, to the camp etc. I'm die-hard Sebenza user and the Bowie is in my opinion finally the true "Spyderbenza", superb all-round EDC:

tk59194

Post by tk59194 »

My techno is by far my favorite spyderco of the many I own. I've been eyeballing the Bowie pretty hard for months now. The only reason I haven't bought it yet is because I'm afraid it will kick the techno out of my pocket. Yesterday I bought a BM 940-1 out of impulse, and now I am having a bit of remorse because I could have bought the bowie at that price point. The BM is very nice, but it doesn't have the quality feel of a Spyderco. The bowie is definitely in my future. Thanks for all the feedback in this thread.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

PiterM wrote:Got both. Techno is perfect urban EDC (at least for me) but Slysz Bowie... man, it's just so versatile knife! For urban carry, in the field, to the camp etc. I'm die-hard Sebenza user and the Bowie is in my opinion finally the true "Spyderbenza", superb all-round EDC:

Beautiful pic and I'm super jealous of you close friends and colleagues of Sal and Eric and those awesome personalized knives! I agree with everyone who's raving about this knife, I used it as my only EDC the last two weeks during my cross-country move and I couldn't have asked for a better and sleeker stand-alone companion. Not sure why anyone would be sitting on the fence on this one, heck it was my 2014 Knife of the Year (and I certainly have lots of other Spydies to compare it to! ;)). Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

PiterM wrote:Got both. Techno is perfect urban EDC (at least for me) but Slysz Bowie... man, it's just so versatile knife! For urban carry, in the field, to the camp etc. I'm die-hard Sebenza user and the Bowie is in my opinion finally the true "Spyderbenza", superb all-round EDC:

That's a dam nice pic....
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:

Beautiful pic and I'm super jealous of you close friends and colleagues of Sal and Eric and those awesome personalized knives! I agree with everyone who's raving about this knife, I used it as my only EDC the last two weeks during my cross-country move and I couldn't have asked for a better and sleeker stand-alone companion. Not sure why anyone would be sitting on the fence on this one, heck it was my 2014 Knife of the Year (and I certainly have lots of other Spydies to compare it to! ;)). Cheers, Radioactive :)
I think it's the price...
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra