** 2015 FORUM KNIFE POLL - VOTING HAS ENDED **

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What Spyderco knife model would you like to see as the next Forum knife?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:16 pm

Paramilitary 2
39%
Manix 2
11%
Caly 3.5
26%
Foundry
0%
Domino
5%
Southard
2%
Spyderco R (Solid Non-skeletonized Blade)
3%
SuperHawk
5%
SuperLeaf
3%
Persian
3%

Total votes: 203

ManixFan

** 2015 FORUM KNIFE POLL - VOTING HAS ENDED **

Post by ManixFan »

UPDATE AS OF Wednesday January 28th:
Voting Ends On Sunday, February 1st

So for the next 4 days, can people please keep bumping or posting to this thread so that it stays high profile for the short time remaining in the voting so that everyone has an opportunity to be reminded to either cast their initial vote in this runoff voting or change a prior vote.

As was discussed previously at the very start of the polling (see initial postings below) and again more recently, now that the vote has stabilized and there are hardly any new voters appearing on the scene, it is time for a "run-off vote". This is by no means mandatory as it is of course an open vote and no one can force anyone to switch their voting preference.

However, if your 2nd choice preference IS NOT the current poll leader and you would like your vote to be counted towards another worthy contender that you would prefer over the current leader then here is the opportunity.

Realistically, with the current voting this would mean aligning yourself behind the Caly 3.5 which has the best chance of overtaking the PM2 or potentially behind the Manix 2......which could also bring this knife into 2nd place. Or, then again.......the 38 remaining votes outside of the top 3 leaders (50+34+15 = 99) could all go directly to the PM2 and blow this knife past all others. Who knows.......it could be interesting though.

As I have stated numerous times before, and which I have to also sometimes remind myself of as well, is that this vote has to be taken with a few grains of salt since Spyderco has not promised to do anything as a result of any vote.........except "to watch".....as Sal put it. The next forum knife might not even come from ANY of the available models currently being polled. In any case, I am sure that whatever Spyderco and Sal decide to offer us Forumites as the next Forum Knife will be "a treat" and very well received.

I am still amazed at the 2013 S110v Diamond-cut Green G10 Native 5 Forum knife that was offered the last time around .......what an incredibly generous gesture by Spyderco to provide such a cutting edge exotic steel in such an attractive package with that level of fit and finish as their Forum knife.

So let's have everyone's voting count towards narrowing this thing down.......whatever the results are, hopefully the exercise and the data collected is of some use to Spyderco.

Regards All.......ManixFan

ORIGINAL THREAD POST

Hello everyone,

As per the following threads,
"2015 Forum knife request, by popular demand!"
"2015 Forum Knife Blade Length, Updated Poll, Simplified"
"2015 Forum Knife Poll: Locking or Non-Locking?"

The following results were voted for by Forumites as their hopes for the next Forum Knife (at the time this poll was created);

A Forum knife with:
- A locking blade (50 out of 74 votes - 68%)
- No preference (20 out of 74 votes - 27%)
- Non-locking (4 out of 74 votes - 5%)

A Forum Knife with:
- 1st Choice, "Blade length of approx 3 1/4" to 3 1/2" (inclusive)" (51 out of a total of 103 votes - 50% of the votes)
- 2nd Choice, "Approx 3" blade length" (23 out of a total of 103 votes - 22% of the votes)
- 3rd Choice, "Sub 3" blade length (15 out of a total of 103 votes - 15% of the votes)
- 4th Choice, "Greater than 3.5" (14 out of a total of 103 votes - 14% of the votes)

The blade models that I listed with the help of other Forumites in the "2015 Forum knife request, by popular demand!" thread are as follows:

Paramilitary 2
Manix 2
Caly 3.5
Foundry
Domino
Southard
Spyderco R (Solid Non-skeletonized Blade)
SuperHawk
SuperLeaf
Persian

Polling only allows for 10 polled options - so I've omitted both the Stretch as well as the Shaman since the Shaman is not even out yet at this time and the Stretch will also be having the new version released shortly.......... so we are already in for a treat on that front already. :)

I also specified a non-skeletonized Spyderco R blade so that it is more EDC friendly. If that model wins and the majority wants the skeletonized version then that can always be voted on at that time.

Since this is a changeable vote poll the idea is to vote for your favourite model firstly and see how the polling runs. Then during and, most importantly, near to the close of the poll which is 23 days from now on February 1st (end of the day on a Sunday); if the knife that is your first choice has absolutely no chance of winning the vote and the one in the lead IS NOT your 2nd choice then you can switch your vote to a strategic one and to what you would prefer to see as a Forum model if your first choice has not gathered enough followers to be a contender. Technically this style of voting should (or could) mean that when all is said and done, the only votes counted at the end of the poll might align with only two or three models in contention. I have chosen a Sunday night to end the polling since most people will be home that evening and able to make last minute vote changes if they want. :eek: ;)

This method of voting will give everyone the opportunity to vote initially and hope that their first choice makes it to the end of the poll. But if not, then voters can also throw their votes behind their second choice, which will allow them to still have some say in the final result of vote. This way everybody will have a say in narrowing it down to the final selection.

But when all is said and done, I'm sure that Sal and the Spydercrew will chime in at the end of it all and let us know if our model wishes for the next Forum knife are even possible. Even if our hopes for the next Forum knife end up being something that can't be produced for various logistical reasons (i.e., an already unannounced Sprint or Exclusive already in the pipeline) then at least Sal & Crew can see how the voting went and make an executive decision on what Spyderco can realistically produce as the next Forum knife.

I will also post snapshots of the voting along the way at the end of every week (i.e, end of 1st week and end of 2nd week of the approx 3 week polling) which will provide a history of how the voting has developed. Of course anyone else is also welcome to welcome to provide a post with the daily tally as well in order to provide a better historical record of the voting as it occurs over the duration of the polling.

But out of respect for Sal, the Spydercrew and your fellow knife enthusiasts, let's all try very hard to keep the postings civil and respectful. I am sure that Spyderco will be monitoring the thread and if needed Sal, Taz or Mr. Janich are sure to ensure that respectful behaviour is enforced in the "House of Sal" (as they always do when things get out of hand).....and where we should keep in mind that we are all Sal's guests and no one ever likes to see their guests disrespect each other :(

But that shouldn't prevent any good natured lobbying and shameless plugging for your favourite model. :D

Once Spyderco lets us know what model might be possible for the next Forum knife then similar polls could then be held to narrow down the steel selected as well as the scale colour/material. If a popular regular production model like a Manix 2 or PM2 is chosen then perhaps Spyderco might provide further guidance at that time as to what steel or colour combinations might be possible given the Sprints and Exclusive that are already out or still unannounced and in the pipeline.

I've tried to be very objectively fair in how this poll is set up so that there is no bias towards my own initial preference or anyone else's.

:spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: LET THE GAMES BEGIN :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:

January 10th Edit:
A way to vote for your favourite model if it doesn't fall within the size range currently selected and you really hope to see it as a possibility would best be done by voting for the specific category size it falls in within the following polling thread "2015 Forum Knife Blade Length, Updated Poll, Simplified". But don't forget to also vote on this poll too.......because to quote a well known Stones Song.

"Oh, you can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes you just might find
You get what you need"

If the favoured size range changes within the duration of this model selection poll then the issue of blade size range might perhaps be revisited. After all the selection process should reflect the wishes of the majority of forumites.

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... =2&t=66301" target="_blank

If continuing voting changes the winner of the blade length category then the model polling thread may be updated to reflect those wishes.
The poll for locking vs non-locking was so far biased toward locking that I haven't bothered to link that poll.

To view the original thread discussion that started it all "2015 Forum knife request, by popular demand!" you can link to that thread below

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... =2&t=66265" target="_blank
Last edited by ManixFan on Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:21 pm, edited 32 times in total.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
paladin

Re: 2015 Forum Knife Model Poll

Post by paladin »

in first! :p
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

paladin wrote:in first! :p
Yup......good one, you even beat me on the poll I set up. I was too busy bumping the related polls :p
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I'm already confused. You are saying that near the end of the poll time if our selection has no chance then we can change our vote but ONLY IF our second choice is not in the lead? Why are we restricted from voting for our second choice if it is already proving to be the most popular? Makes no sense to me.

Also, what if folks want to vote for a knife that's not listed? I mean what if the caly 3.5 is winning the poll with 28 votes and there's 30 posts saying they would like the Millie? Hmm?

Ok, just wanted to try to do my part to immediately add as much confusion as possible to the process. Your welcome! :p :D
paladin

Post by paladin »

ManixFan wrote: Yup......good one, you even beat me on the poll I set up. I was too busy bumping the related polls :p
Let me guess...

You're gonna vote for a Super Hawk...I mean Super Leaf...

What's that you say? :confused: No? :confused:

Ok...ok...you're gonna go Para then! No? :o Wrong again?

Well, in that case you're gonna have to give me a hint... :p
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Being amply confused about this poll (thanks Lance!), I voted Caly 3.5. Between the PM2, Military and Manix 2 series, I am approaching 50 variants... I have the 3 Caly 3.5 variants, we need a lot more options for this beauty! It is one of Sal's favorites after all... :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Surfingringo wrote:I'm already confused. You are saying that near the end of the poll time if our selection has no chance then we can change our vote but ONLY IF our second choice is not in the lead? Why are we restricted from voting for our second choice if it is already proving to be the most popular? Makes no sense to me.

Also, what if folks want to vote for a knife that's not listed? I mean what if the caly 3.5 is winning the poll with 28 votes and there's 30 posts saying they would like the Millie? Hmm?

Ok, just wanted to try to do my part to immediately add as much confusion as possible to the process. Your welcome! :p :D
Hi Gringo!

You don't have to change your vote.....but if you look at the poll setup you certainly have the option to change it. So if say you are wanting the PM2 as your first choice and during or near the end of the poll it is at the bottom of the voting and the Caly 3.5 is leading :p but you would prefer to see a Manix 2 as the next Forum knife rather than the Caly 3.5 which is currently in the lead.

Then the logical thing to do would be to change your vote to a Manix 2 vote even though your 1st choice is the PM2 in order to knock the Caly 3.5 leader out of contention in preference to your second choice - the Manix 2. That way your vote goes to something that you would rather see than what might never be a possibility as your first choice. That means that the majority compromise wins out in the end and your vote isn't wasted by being locked in (unchangeable) to a model that has no hope in winning. I am joking of course with the model examples that I chose since I suspect that the PM2 will do very well in the polling and is quite capable of winning - and I was just kidding (too bad Spyderco doesn't have the emoticon smiley with the poking stick :D ) as know that you had previously indicated that the PM2 was your choice in another thread ;)

"Also, what if folks want to vote for a knife that's not listed? I mean what if the caly 3.5 is winning the poll with 28 votes and there's 30 posts saying they would like the Millie? Hmm?"

The Millie was excluded from the model choices because out of 103 voters only 14 wanted to see the next Forum knife be one with a blade size greater than 3.5" vs the 51 who wanted a model with a blade sized from approx 3.25" to 3.5" (inclusive). So apparently those 30 hypothetical posters wanting a Forum Millie didn't bother to vote on the blade length poll.....which they are still welcome to do. But every other blade length is so far behind the leader that there would have to be a substantial fraction of the current total voters (103 voters) be coming in as new voters. The voting has also stabilized about a week ago and only two more votes were cast in the last week......and they didn't go to the greater than 3.5" category. So I doubt that the current trends would change much......although there might be a greater sample size with about the same over all picture being seen, i.e., a bigger pie, but with pieces of the same relative sizes - if you want to picture the poll as a pie chart. ;)

This type of voting keeps narrowing down the options in the most democratic manner possible until we have a "Last Knife Standing" situation. :eek: :D

For example if Mr. Persian has no friends at the end of the day - or for example right now - then he could change it to the PM2 to bring the numbers to a tie with the Caly 3.5 which is ahead of the PM2 by one vote.

I hope that all made sense and clears up the confusion that you (and others who haven't yet seen the poll) might have had.

But despite whatever the early numbers are showing.......VOTE WHAT YOU REALLY WANT.....rather than jumping on someone else's bandwagon because you are disheartened that your favorite is not in contention. You can always changes things to a second choice preference before the last few days of voting which ends at the end of Sunday, February 1st (23 day length of polling period was selected)
Last edited by ManixFan on Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.
grewich

Post by grewich »

C'mon man. Tell me you dont want a forum pm2 cf m4. Paramilitary 2 carbon fiber m4!(s110v, k390, etc... !!
Last edited by grewich on Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

grewich wrote:C'mon man. Tell me you dont want a forum pm2 cf m4. Paramilitary 2 carbon fiber m4!!!
That's the spirit! :) :) :)

Keep the shameless plugging going........EVERYBODY wants/needs a HAP40 Caly3.5 in diamond-cut dark blue G10 :D :D :D
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

ManixFan wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:I'm already confused. You are saying that near the end of the poll time if our selection has no chance then we can change our vote but ONLY IF our second choice is not in the lead? Why are we restricted from voting for our second choice if it is already proving to be the most popular? Makes no sense to me.

Hi Gringo!

You don't have to change your vote.....but if you look at the poll setup you certainly have the option to change it. So if say you are wanting the PM2 as your first choice and during or near the end of the poll it is at the bottom of the voting and the Caly 3.5 is leading :p but you would prefer to see a Manix 2 as the next Forum knife than the Caly 3.5 which is in the lead.

Then the logical thing to do would be to change your vote to a Manix 2 vote even though your 1st choice is the PM2. That way your vote goes to something that you would rather see than what is currently in the lead. That means that the majority compromise wins out in the end.

The Millie was excluded from the model choices because out of 103 voters only 14 wanted to see the next Forum knife be one with a blade size greater than 3.5" vs the 51 who wanted a model with a blade sized from approx 3.25" to 3.5" (inclusive). This keeps narrowing down the options in the most democratic manner possible until we have a "Last Knife Standing" situation.

I hope that all made sense and clears up the confusion that you (and others who haven't yet seen the poll) might have had.
Nah, I'm still confused. And I apologize if it seems I'm trying to intentionally be obtuse...I'm not. Here's what makes no sense. If I vote for the pm2 and it has no chance of winning then why can't I change my vote to whatever I want? Why can I only choose a knife that "isn't already in the lead"? There could be a lot of votes to redistribute near the end of the poll. Why would you only allow the ones who were in opposition to whatever was already proving most popular? What about all the members whose second choice is the knife that's already in the lead? Don't their votes matter? The way it is sounds like a good way to create a situation where the most popular knife could get less votes than the second most popular knife.

And though I believe it is entirely likely that one of the knives listed in the poll will prove the most popular I would still encourage those who have a favorite that isn't in the poll to just vote for it in a post. You never know. And hey, a little chaos never hurts. ;)
Last edited by Surfingringo on Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Thanks for setting this up, Manix Fan. :)

I voted for the SuperHawk simply because (1) I love to see an older design come back and (2) we've seemed to have had a lot of renewed interest in SE blades in the recent past here on the forum. Call me crazy, but the SuperHawk has "Forum Knife" written all over it. :D
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Gringo, he is saying you CAN change it to whatever you want.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Gringo, he is saying you CAN change it to whatever you want.
Negativo.

Read here...

Since this is a changeable vote poll the idea is to vote for your favourite model firstly and see how the polling runs. Then during and, most importantly, near to the close of the poll which is 23 days from now on February 1st (end of the day on a Sunday); if the knife that is your first choice has absolutely no chance of winning the vote and the one in the lead IS NOT your 2nd choice then you can switch your vote to a strategic one and to what you would prefer to see as a Forum model if your first choice has not gathered enough followers to be a contender. Technically this style of voting should (or could) mean that when all is said and done, the only votes counted at the end of the poll might align with only two or three models in contention. I have chosen a Sunday night to end the polling since most people will be home that evening and able to make last minute vote changes if they want. :eek: ;)

Edit: though I guess if it is an open poll then I can just ignore the rules/wording and switch to whatever I choose.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Surfingringo wrote:
ManixFan wrote:

Hi Gringo!

You don't have to change your vote.....but if you look at the poll setup you certainly have the option to change it. So if say you are wanting the PM2 as your first choice and during or near the end of the poll it is at the bottom of the voting and the Caly 3.5 is leading :p but you would prefer to see a Manix 2 as the next Forum knife than the Caly 3.5 which is in the lead.

Then the logical thing to do would be to change your vote to a Manix 2 vote even though your 1st choice is the PM2. That way your vote goes to something that you would rather see than what is currently in the lead. That means that the majority compromise wins out in the end.

The Millie was excluded from the model choices because out of 103 voters only 14 wanted to see the next Forum knife be one with a blade size greater than 3.5" vs the 51 who wanted a model with a blade sized from approx 3.25" to 3.5" (inclusive). This keeps narrowing down the options in the most democratic manner possible until we have a "Last Knife Standing" situation.

Nah, I'm still confused. And I apologize if it seems I'm trying to intentionally be obtuse...I'm not. Here's what makes no sense. If I vote for the pm2 and it has no chance of winning then why can't I change my vote to whatever I want? Why can I only choose a knife that "isn't already in the lead"? There could be a lot of votes to redistribute near the end of the poll. Why would you only allow the ones who were in opposition to whatever was already proving most popular? What about all the members whose second choice is the knife that's already in the lead? Don't their votes matter? The way it is sounds like a good way to create a situation where the most popular knife could get less votes than the second most popular knife.

And though I believe it is entirely likely that one of the knives listed in the poll will prove the most popular I would still encourage those who have a favorite that isn't in the poll to just vote for it in a post. You never know. And hey, a little chaos never hurts. ;)
You CAN change your choice to the knife that is in the lead if that is what you want as a second choice ......and this will likely increase that lead and make it even more likely to be the winner.

I edited my 1st response to your initial question before I saw the last paragraph of your most recent post to which I'm responding.......as you can see I have encouraged the exact same thing....vote for what you want initially even though it might be far behind the leaders.....other people might jump on your bandwagon and bring it into contention over the next few weeks.(oops later edit: I misread your last paragraph - there is no option to vote for a favourite that isn't in the poll because there is no way to vote for it. I picked all the knives in the approx 3.25 to 3.5" (inclusive) range because that was the result of the blade length polling.)

VOTE WHAT YOU REALLY WANT INITIALLY......THEN AFTER A COUPLE OF WEEKS IF YOUR FAVOURITE MODEL HAS NO HOPE THEN SWITCH TO WHATEVER CHOICE YOU THINK STILL HAS A CHANCE OF CONTENTION THAT YOU MIGHT PREFER TO WHAT IS THEN IN THE LEAD. IF THE MODEL IN THE LEAD IS YOUR SECOND CHOICE THEN SWITCHING YOUR VOTE WILL ONLY PAD THE LEAD AND MAKE IT MORE LIKELY TO BE THE WINNER.

(sorry the all caps was not me "yelling" through my post but just an attempt to make clear an important point in how this kind of voting works)

I hope it all makes sense now......if not then I might not be as clear as I am envisioning in my own head and just ask more questions. I am always happy to answer......or anyone else "who gets it" is free to explain the process and strategy as well. :)
Last edited by ManixFan on Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Surfingringo wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:Gringo, he is saying you CAN change it to whatever you want.
Negativo.

Read here...

Edit: though I guess if it is an open poll then I can just ignore the rules/wording and switch to whatever I choose.
Sorry - I was just responding to your last post before I saw this one.....but NOW you've got the idea completely......it is an open poll so you aren't ignoring any rules as you ARE free to switch to whatever you want. I was just trying to illustrate the concept of strategic voting.....sorry if my initial choice of wording was confusing to you. :o
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I read that as, if your knife isn't going to win, vote for your second choice or third or whatever. If the knife that is winning is your second choice, vote for it if you like. Maybe I'm wrong lol. We need a referee to make the call :)
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I got it now. Glad we got that clarified. And hopefully I added enough confusion and chaos to keep things interesting!! ;). Anyway, I'm not worried about it...my knife is ahead 6-4. It's a landslide! Your goose is cooked Manixfan! COOKED I tell you! :p
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I read that as, if your knife isn't going to win, vote for your second choice or third or whatever. If the knife that is winning is your second choice, vote for it if you like. Maybe I'm wrong lol. We need a referee to make the call :)
Yup .....you got it! Vote whatever you want.....switch your votes strategically near the end if you like to try to get your compromise choice. But as I stated earlier - don't give up on your initial choices if that is what you truly want ......this is just the first day of voting and it could always swing back to your favourite model :D
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

ManixFan wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:I read that as, if your knife isn't going to win, vote for your second choice or third or whatever. If the knife that is winning is your second choice, vote for it if you like. Maybe I'm wrong lol. We need a referee to make the call :)
Yup .....you got it! Vote whatever you want.....switch your votes strategically near the end if you like to try to get your compromise choice. But as I stated earlier - don't give up on your initial choices if that is what you truly want ......this is just the first day of voting and it could always swing back to your favourite model :D
Don't be silly! The pm2 has 50% more votes! The trend is clear and now we are just wasting time. I make a motion to close the polls and move on to steel selection! Hehehehehe
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I like it, you did a good job putting this together, thank you for the effort Manixfan, my choice is listed and I am happy, sure hope this comes to fruition.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."