Another full SE question....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Drew78

Another full SE question....

Post by Drew78 »

Hey guys-
I am also considering a full SE bladed folder. considering what I am hearing relative to H1's work hardened SE would you all suggest going with something like a Pac Salt over a full SE Delica or Endura? I would assume those are in VG-10?

As always, thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice!

Drew
araneae

Re: Another full SE question....

Post by araneae »

Go with a Salt 1 if you want delica size. H1 is great with teeth.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Drew78 wrote:Hey guys-
I am also considering a full SE bladed folder. considering what I am hearing relative to H1's work hardened SE would you all suggest going with something like a Pac Salt over a full SE Delica or Endura? I would assume those are in VG-10?

In the H-1 Salt Series I would recommend the TASMAN SE or the Spyderhawk SE. Any of the Golden Colorado USA Earth Native models in full Spyderedge to me are one of the best workhorse blades they ever made >> those are super good hard users for sure and can endure about any kind of punishment you can dish out.
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Can you share more information on how you plan to use it? There are lots of fans of the H1 bladed models in SE here, myself included, but depending on what you are looking to do folks may point you in different directions.

Are you set on an FRN handle? If not the Police model is also available in SE, and if you hurry you can still find a SE Police 3 out there although they are being discontinued.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't think you're really at a loss either way. I think H1 may be a bit tougher than VG10 but I think SE edge retention is about the same.
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Either H1 or VG10 will work great thats my experience, I like my Endura better than my pacific due to liners. But prefer the weight of the salt1 over the Delica. So its all just a matter of taste but I think you cant go wrong with either steel. Just recently got a serrated vg10 dragonfly and its awesome like it a bit more than my DHF H1.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
Drew78

Post by Drew78 »

Thanks everyone for the responses. The intended use would just be a supplement to my edc. I also just kind of want one to be honest. I live in the Midwest so rust isn't a problem. I was mostly curious on the differences between vg10 and H1 with the SE.

Thanks again fellas
drew
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:I don't think you're really at a loss either way. I think H1 may be a bit tougher than VG10 but I think SE edge retention is about the same.
I am finding it extremely interesting that many of the older blade steels that didn't have a lot of bragging rights with plain edges much at all but they do seem to perform well in Spyderedge>> AUS-8 and ATS-34 being prime examples. It actually surprised me when I heard that H-1 tested out so well in Spyderedge.

Again I've had the best luck so far with 440V serrations with my SE Native.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Evil D wrote:I don't think you're really at a loss either way. I think H1 may be a bit tougher than VG10 but I think SE edge retention is about the same.
I am finding it extremely interesting that many of the older blade steels that didn't have a lot of bragging rights with plain edges much at all but they do seem to perform well in Spyderedge>> AUS-8 and ATS-34 being prime examples. It actually surprised me when I heard that H-1 tested out so well in Spyderedge.

Again I've had the best luck so far with 440V serrations with my SE Native.

Do you think it could just be that older generation steels were tougher as opposed to harder, which just naturally works well with serrations?

Also it's interesting you don't see any carbon steel knives in full SE? Why no 1095?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

Do you think it could just be that older generation steels were tougher as opposed to harder, which just naturally works well with serrations?

Also it's interesting you don't see any carbon steel knives in full SE? Why no 1095?
YES!! on both points. Yes indeed I believe the older generation blade steels had more toughness than these newer supersteels like ZDP-189 that does indeed not have the properties desirable for a Spyderedge>> Sal even said as much.

Now 440V has the distinction of having a little bit of both of those properties>> because of it's vanadium content I believe it's close to being a perfect Spyderedged steel. Well I'll put it this way it has taken more punishment on a Spyderedge than any other steel I've used.

Good point on the carbon steels because I've not heard of any with serrations at all now that you mention it. And isn't it a coincidence that Spyderco from their inception has always used nothing but stainless blade steels for the most part.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I may have to pick up an Opinel and have it serrated, just to see what happens.
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Drew, given your use plan I would just go with whatever you like the look and feel of. All of the options mentioned here will perform great.

And in terms of the question of carbon steel and SE models, I would love to see something in cruwear.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Evil D wrote:I may have to pick up an Opinel and have it serrated, just to see what happens.
That would be tricky with the thin stock, but it would be very ineresting...
Drew78

Post by Drew78 »

Thanks again fellas. I ordered the Pacific Salt SE.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Besides the H1 the Salt's are essentially Endura/Delica3 handles. Volcano grip vs bidirectional (with exception of the Dragonfly2 Salt and Ladybug Salt), no liners vs liners, one-way clips etc. They are very nice knives and extremely durable, just a bit less "civilized" than the version 4's. Being light and not rusting though is a pretty awesome perk.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Drew78 wrote:Thanks again fellas. I ordered the Pacific Salt SE.
I thought of that too but I'm sure I have kitchen knives that are just as thin and are serrated. The bevel will just be pretty narrow, it should slice like a beast though.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Drew78 wrote:Thanks again fellas. I ordered the Pacific Salt SE.
I thought of that too but I'm sure I have kitchen knives that are just as thin and are serrated. The bevel will just be pretty narrow, it should slice like a beast though.
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

JD Spydo wrote:
Drew78 wrote:Hey guys-

In the H-1 Salt Series I would recommend the TASMAN SE or the Spyderhawk SE. Any of the Golden Colorado USA Earth Native models in full Spyderedge to me are one of the best workhorse blades they ever made >> those are super good hard users for sure and can endure about any kind of punishment you can dish out.
The Hawkbills with teeth are definite workhorses.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Lord vader wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
Drew78 wrote:
The Hawkbills with teeth are definite workhorses.
You got that right Lord Vader ;) When I don't have a Spyderedged Hawkbill as a companion blade I usually have either my SE Native 440V or my SE Ayoob or my SE Endura. Either way I got a blade with real teeth. If I had a C-111 Captain with the arch part full Spyderedged I might even give my Hawkbills a rest for a while. Because a serrated Captain would truly be a very versatile cutting machine. They will eventually cave in and do the Captain along with a couple of others in SE just to get us to shut up if nothing else :D
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

We need to start campaign for a full serrated captain, I would love to have one or two in my arsenal of workhorses.