stiff delica

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
redhawk44357

stiff delica

Post by redhawk44357 »

I have had a Delica, older model that has always been stiff to open almost as if the handle was pressed on too tight. I have worked it back and forth hundreds of times. I have used various oils, penetrating fluids, etc. to no avail. Now I appeal to the masses. Someone out there have a solution? The knife is blue handle model PE with V8-10 blade, Seki Japan made.
SpyderNut

Re: stiff delica

Post by SpyderNut »

Welcome back, redhawk.

If this is an older Delica, I'm guessing it is pinned instead of screwed-together. If so, I'd be hesitent trying to adjust the pivot tension on my own in fear of damaging it. I would personally send it in to Spyderco's Warranty Department and see if they can loosen it up safely.
araneae

Post by araneae »

If it's pinned there is little you can do other than use it and wear it in.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If it is tight due to tolerances you can do the old timer trick. Rinse it good, and then fill the knife around the pivot with old fashioned white toothpaste. Work the knife back and forth many times, then rinse it out real good (toothpaste is a mild abrasive and rinses cleanly with water). After that, apply a good lube and see what you have got. I have used this method on a number of overly tight knives, as have many people.
If this does not work, send it to Spyderco. But, I believe this will solve your problem.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

It's also a good idea to check and see if the tightness is actually the blade or the lock bar's pressure on the blade. Hold the knife in two hands, depress the lock bar while holding the blade, and move the blade open and closed. If it moves freely, the culprit might be the lock bar. A drop of oil on each side of the bar inside the handle at the pivot point can help this. This lubes the bar's movement in the handle. A drop of oil or grease on the contact surface of the tang--where it touches the lug of the lock bar--can also smooth things out.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

Doc Dan wrote:If it is tight due to tolerances you can do the old timer trick. Rinse it good, and then fill the knife around the pivot with old fashioned white toothpaste. Work the knife back and forth many times, then rinse it out real good (toothpaste is a mild abrasive and rinses cleanly with water). After that, apply a good lube and see what you have got. I have used this method on a number of overly tight knives, as have many people.
If this does not work, send it to Spyderco. But, I believe this will solve your problem.
[quote=" Michael Janich]It's also a good idea to check and see if the tightness is actually the blade or the lock bar's pressure on the blade. Hold the knife in two hands, depress the lock bar while holding the blade, and move the blade open and closed. If it moves freely, the culprit might be the lock bar. A drop of oil on each side of the bar inside the handle at the pivot point can help this. This lubes the bar's movement in the handle. A drop of oil or grease on the contact surface of the tang--where it touches the lug of the lock bar--can also smooth things out.[/quote]

Two ideas that I hope to file away if needed in the future.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Is the clip set for tip down carry? I had a Delica that the clip screws were a little long and acted as set screws on the blade.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

zhyla wrote:Is the clip set for tip down carry? I had a Delica that the clip screws were a little long and acted as set screws on the blade.
I don't think his Delica has clip screws, as older FRN-Delicas have molded clips or barrel bolt screws and are tip-up only.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

if its VG-10 its an older blue Delica3 with the barrel bolt and the bolt wont have anything to do with the blade, they never made any vg-10 in d1s and d2s are all stainless steel handle.

Im pretty sure its pinned too tight and maybe he needs to pry it open a bit but it could back fire and come apart.
redhawk44357

Post by redhawk44357 »

My knife is the "pinned" variety and I checked for the freeness of the blade as per Mike. Apparently the handles are pushed in to tight, so I am going to try the toothpaste idea and see what happens. Thanks to all for their posts.