Long live the Pacific Salt!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Every self respecting spydie fan needs at least 1 salt! These knives are really phenomenal work knives. Everything about them. Tough handles, 100% corrosion proof blade and parts, no liners to accumulate gunk, lightweight, very affordable...what's not to love about the salt knives??

I was out on the ocean today fishing in the kayak and I looked down at my bloody pacific salt and was just amazed. This thing gets its A$$ worked off. 5-6 days a week sitting in saltwater and covered in fish blood from gilling big mackerel. Sometimes it gets scrubbed clean at the house but often I'll come in really wiped out and just throw it in the sink covered in blood and salt and not touch it again until I shove it in my waistband come daylight for another days work. I really should be a bit ashamed of how I treat this one but it doesn't seem one bit the worse for wear. Really amazing knives.

Here's a couple of pics from the kayak earlier this morning. Today was one of those days where it just got thrown in the laundry room sink. It's still there waiting for some more action tomorrow.

Here's a couple of today's victims. There was a thread going today where someone was asking about what kind of jobs serrated edges were good for. Imo, gilling and bleeding out fish is one of them. I try to bleed the mackerel as soon as I get them in the boat to get as much blood out of the meat as possible. Sometimes the fish are still hot and poking around at em with a knife can be a bit dodgy. The nice thing about a serrated edge is that once you slide the blade under the gill plate, the serrations just "grab" the gills and once you pull back the deed is done. You don't have to apply any real pressure and it's a quick and efficient movement. Quick is good when you've got a green fish, a sharp knife and a soft hand in the same vicinity. :)

Holland

Re: Long live the Pacific Salt!!

Post by Holland »

Well said Lance! Amazing line of knives indeed, and as always, thanks for the awesome photos! I need to get out fishing more
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Holy Mackerel! You should try this with other steels/knives in serrated edges and see how they hold up and post about it :D
Enduraguy96

Post by Enduraguy96 »

Sweet!
para military 2
Fallkniven f1
Endura 4 ffg
manbug superblue
tenacious x 2
manix 2 g10
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Wow, makes me want to go fishing. And to live somewhere with temperatures above zero.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Surfingringo,

I always love it when you post about your Pacific Salt. Since 2009, a Pac Salt has been my most-carried and used Spyderco knife; for the past few years, it's been the SE configuration. Although I have kept the original 'spear-pointed' tip on mine, I love the way it performs. I definitely feel the Pac Salt is vastly underrated by many people, maybe due to FRN handles, lack of liners, not the 'latest-greatest' steel of the month, etc. To me, the Pac IS a wonder knife. The SE rarely needs sharpening, and when it does, it's easy to restore. Of course, zero corrosion worries. A lot tougher and more durable than it appears. And for little $$!

Keep on posting the great pics!

Jim
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

As always the pics are terrific. Keep 'em coming. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

There's this thing in the car world that relates to this thread.

When you're building a hotrod or a street/strip car, at some point most people who don't have unlimited budgets end up at a place where the car looks like crap, or at least doesn't look like anything special, but it already has the monster engine and all the go fast goodies and it runs like a beast. Some people call them "sleepers", and most people never give them a second look because they don't look expensive or flashy. That's the Salt line. They perform like all business hotrods without all the flashy fancy carbon fiber, etc.

Personally I would LOVE to see more knives like the Salts, and the Manix 2 LW's. Premium steels in strong but minimalistic liners. I think next there needs to be a solid slab of Superblue in a solid FRN handle with no liners.
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

Great "real deal" endorsement, great pics, nice fish … awesome thread!

Thanks again!

~ edge
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Evil D wrote:There's this thing in the car world that relates to this thread.

When you're building a hotrod or a street/strip car, at some point most people who don't have unlimited budgets end up at a place where the car looks like crap, or at least doesn't look like anything special, but it already has the monster engine and all the go fast goodies and it runs like a beast. Some people call them "sleepers", and most people never give them a second look because they don't look expensive or flashy. That's the Salt line. They perform like all business hotrods without all the flashy fancy carbon fiber, etc.

Personally I would LOVE to see more knives like the Salts, and the Manix 2 LW's. Premium steels in strong but minimalistic liners. I think next there needs to be a solid slab of Superblue in a solid FRN handle with no liners.
I couldn't agree more. The hottest new steels shouldn't just be for sprints and collectors. Working guys ought to get to play with uber-steels too! That's why I felt the manix lw s110v was the coolest release of 2014.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Native5 LW is just begging for some premium steel.

Maybe lc200n too.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Haha oh man. I look at those pics, then I look out my window and see a snowy slushy mess. Ugh! Almost hard to believe you're on the same earth, LOL.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:The Native5 LW is just begging for some premium steel.
There were plans for production S110V N5 LW. Possibly 2015.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

bh49 wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:The Native5 LW is just begging for some premium steel.
There were plans for production S110V N5 LW. Possibly 2015.
Yup, I remember reading something about that. I would love to see some of the tool steels like cruwear make their way into some of those models to. And don't forget...they are supposedly doing a hap40 run in the japanese frn knives! Good ole Spyderco! :D
elena86

Post by elena86 »

One word: awesome ! Pac Salt is indeed a great allarounder.I am very proud of my Pac moded by you Lance.I need to get a yellow handle one ASAP. :)