Spyderco slip its are growing on me

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Re: Spyderco slip its are growing on me

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Jazz wrote:...and today it's the black G10 leaf UKPK in my pocket.
I just bought one of these off of Blade Forums. The guy said it has seen light use, but when I asked him about wear or scratches on the G10 or the blade he said there were none so i bought it. I'm hoping it arrives by the end of the week. I've been trying to find the black G10 version and the orange version. Looks like 1 down, 1 to go.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Donut

Post by Donut »

Here is the first we heard of the upgraded spring. It was in Wouter's report from the 2011 Amsterdam meet. I think it was almost a full year after the meet that it made it to the street.

http://spydercollector.wordpress.com/20 ... n-slipits/" target="_blank

I wonder what we'll see this year from the meet.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
SharpShooter901

Post by SharpShooter901 »

Thanks for the photo and explanation, PSquared, I appreciate it. I may hold off on acquisition of a UKPK for a while until I can handle one to decide if that spring is a problem for me. I much prefer knives I can open one handed anyway, even if I use two hands to close them. Some knives I have no issues opening with two hands, like the smaller knifes I keep on my desk for opening letters and packages.
I am a new collector! Finch, Dragonfly P&S, Cat, Robin P&S, Persistence, Delica, Tasman, Sage 1, Salt 1 P&S, Manix 2 Light.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The newest FFG black UKPK's have perfect springs.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Jazz wrote:The newest FFG black UKPK's have perfect springs.
Agree 100%
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

...and worth the wait ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
Mr. Shawn

Post by Mr. Shawn »

I have carried my FFG FRN leaf-blade UKPK so much since I got it 3 months ago that carrying my G10 Caly 3 feels kind of strange now due to its extra weight.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I hear you, but as my signature says, I'm still waiting on some China ones, Squeak, and Pingo with a split spring. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
SharpShooter901

Post by SharpShooter901 »

Just the black ones? I want to get a colored one if I get one.
I am a new collector! Finch, Dragonfly P&S, Cat, Robin P&S, Persistence, Delica, Tasman, Sage 1, Salt 1 P&S, Manix 2 Light.
Donut

Post by Donut »

SharpShooter901 wrote:
As far as I'm aware, the only UKPK's that ever got the upgraded springs all have black scales. The colored handled ones got discontinued before the upgraded spring went live.

The colored one I have has a very weak spring.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Donut wrote:
SharpShooter901 wrote:
As far as I'm aware, the only UKPK's that ever got the upgraded springs all have black scales. The colored handled ones got discontinued before the upgraded spring went live.

The colored one I have has a very weak spring.
Shortly after I got my orange-scaled UKPK a few years ago, I heard about the weak spring and, alarmed, asked for clarification here. The Deacon reassured me that mine was a newer release and did not have the weak spring. Perhaps he'll repeat this reassurance...
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
RobC2

Post by RobC2 »

I have grown to like them as well recently. Currently have a CF UKPK, Bob T., and a T-Mag.
Donut

Post by Donut »

wrdwrght wrote: Shortly after I got my orange-scaled UKPK a few years ago, I heard about the weak spring and, alarmed, asked for clarification here. The Deacon reassured me that mine was a newer release and did not have the weak spring. Perhaps he'll repeat this reassurance...
If you are talking about an Orange G-10 model, I would definitely agree. Only the FRN models had the weaker springs.

Well, the titanium UKPK has a somewhat less effective spring, but nothing like the first and second generation FRN models.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Donut wrote:
wrdwrght wrote: Shortly after I got my orange-scaled UKPK a few years ago, I heard about the weak spring and, alarmed, asked for clarification here. The Deacon reassured me that mine was a newer release and did not have the weak spring. Perhaps he'll repeat this reassurance...
If you are talking about an Orange G-10 model, I would definitely agree. Only the FRN models had the weaker springs.

Well, the titanium UKPK has a somewhat less effective spring, but nothing like the first and second generation FRN models.
G10, yes. Haven't really noticed that the Ti UKPK has a lesser spring.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Well I hope the blue, the maroon and the gray UKPK knives I just ordered have the updated spring. Oh and just for kicks all 3 are fully serrated spyderedge. The two black(drop point and leaf blade) are PE. I will have to check for that fork updated springs on them.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Sorry, the coloured ukpk's definitely have the older weaker springs.

@liquid_cobra
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Sorry, the coloured ukpk's definitely have the older weaker springs.
Could the springs just be swapped or there are some modifications to tang also. If its just swapping I could call Spyderco HQ to send me some.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I'd say they should be an easy enough swap, but I'd rather you tried it first and let us know. ;) I really like my blue and maroon ones, but the springs are so light.

Today I'm carrying my FFG black drop point.
- best wishes, Jazz.
PWork

Post by PWork »

I have recently "discovered" the Spyderco "slip joint" knives from a friend gifting me an orange Spy-DK. I can't say enough good about this knife.

I have carried a few Spyderco (and other) lock backs over the years, but have always favored a non-locking knife. These are opening a whole new and exciting world for me. Just added a Roadie to the mix and have my eye on the Pingo. I'm sure there are others to follow. :cool:
Paul
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Welcome!

Be careful, soon you'll decide you want them all then suddenly you'll find yourself searching the Internet day and night for a UKPK in Orange G10.

@liquid_cobra