Your Idea Of the Perfect Mariner's or Fisherman's Spyder

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Your Idea Of the Perfect Mariner's or Fisherman's Spyder

Post by JD Spydo »

With the release of the Tusk model and new stuff in the H-1 Salt Series I've been doing a lot of thinking about what an IDEAL FISHERMAN'S and/or MARINERS Spyder that you all in Spyderville would desire to see.

First of all I would love to see the Tusk model in full SE because there's a reason that the Harpy model was introduced in full Spyderedged>> and 90% of every Harpy made was full Spyderedge. Second I would love to see the Catcherman return in full plain edge and full Spyderedge both>> because I've had a lot of the guys tell me that the combo edge gets in their way filleting fish and so forth>> and most of them told me that a full SE or a full PE would be ideal.

We also need Spyders like the Harpy, Spyderhawk, Superhawk and Tasman in more grippy handles. I love the Harpy with all my heart and it's about my all time favorite all purpose Hawkbill have a handle with some "GRIP" because the Stainless handle is just a bit too slick for this old farm boy.

And all you Spyderville Brethren tell us what your IDEAL Mariner SPYDER is>> or what modifications you would love to see on present main line Spyders geared for fishing, mariner, seafarers jobs. And it doesn't have to be just Hawkbills>> just tell us what you would consider ideal for the fishing/mariner/seafarers cutting jobs
Last edited by JD Spydo on Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
JD Spydo

Re: Your Idea Of the Perfect Mariner's or Fisherman's Spyder

Post by JD Spydo »

[quote="JD Spydo"]Sorry hit wrong button
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I agree with your post, JD. I still think some form of the Caspian Salt should be reintroduced. I am glad the Aqua Salt is coming back, though it be in black-coated.

The SpyderHawk was a great one.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:I agree with your post, JD. I still think some form of the Caspian Salt should be reintroduced. I am glad the Aqua Salt is coming back, though it be in black-coated.

The SpyderHawk was a great one.
YES!! & AMEN!! to all 3 of those. I would love to see the Caspian salt come back in one of those newer nitrogen based steels. The Spyderhawk is just perfect the way it is but I wouldn't be opposed to seeing it reintroduced in one of the Supersteels>> and possibly a G-10 or Micarta handle.

I'm also wondering if it's time for a fixed blade Hawkbill to jazz up what they already have for fishermen?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

A folder somewhere around 4-4.25". That's about as big as you can go and still be comfortable to carry in pocket or iwb i believe. My number one requirement for a fishing knife is that it should be able to fillet a fish in a pinch. I don't think a folding fillet knife is the answer (those tend to lose utility function in other areas) but I do like a knife that is at least capable of doing that kind of work if you don't have the proper tool. This means it needs to have a nice point and ffg would be preferred. Ideally offered in both pe and se but as much as I like h1 for serrated knives I would want another option for pe...possibly lc-200n?

For me, I think the Military would make a very nice platform for this kind of knife. Right kind of blade, right size and it carries comfortably for a large knife. Maybe now that we have some rust proof options other than H1 this could be a real possibility. A "salt" version of the Military is about the only knife I can think of that could displace my Pacific Salt.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I'd be in for a LC-200N Military. Just throwing that out there.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

A 3.1-3.3 inch serrated blade Tusk would be great.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am a freshwater fisherman and I clean my fish when I get home. Sometimes I gut them in the field but not always so my needs are fairly simple. I also use monofilament and fluorocarbon line so I don't need much for cutting line. My Ladyhawk is good enough for that.

I have been enjoying my Swick4 this winter icefishing and I wouldn't change much. It is honestly all need when fishing. I would think many would enjoy a Salt version of it but based on sales of the regular version I am not sure.

I also bring a Cruwear Military fishing a lot and it has worked fine for me and hasn't rusted at all.

I will be buying an Aquasalt when they come out and would definitely buy a plain edge Catcherman and would be happy with any steel but something besides H1 is fine with me. I know it makes sense since many users are around salt water but corrosion has not been a problem for me.

Before I knew anything about knives I carried a Kabar fishing a lot, often wading in rivers with it on my belt and I never had any major problems. Corrosion resistance is pretty much at the bottom of my list of qualities when it comes to steel. I just clean them when I get home and put them away dry and have been fine.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

I hope a fillet knife makes it into the kitchen knife lineup.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

From my fishing experiences, I think the Catcherman is almost there. Bring it back in H1, update the clip to a screw on metal clip, and keep the same amount of serrations. That should do everything I've ever needed a fishing knife to do.

HOWEVER, I really wouldn't mind having it be a fixed blade with a plastic Mora style sheath, especially if it's going to be a dedicated fishing knife. Then I can just carry my Pacific Salt in my pocket for backup.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Those that have cleaned many fish know you can do a pretty good job filleting even large fish with a 3 or 4 inch blade (if it's sharp) The process may be slowed somewhat but nice fillets can be had. Trying to skin with a short blade is another matter. Spyderco has designed a produced knives (thank you) that would work well for most of the mariner/fisherman's needs. Even though I have multiple fillet knives I would still buy a dedicated fillet
knife(s) medium flex with a blade around 8" in .125 stock. Needs to have a non-slip handle perhaps checkered G10, maybe CPM 154, S30v, or MBS-26 to hold down the cost . How about another Phil Wilson collaboration a la Shelter Cove? :D :D Pretty, pretty please :D Phil's knives just look...and work.... like they are supposed to. Hope we don't have to wait for spring to Sprig :p
Last edited by Tdog on Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
303_enfield

Post by 303_enfield »

Tusk Mariner in H1 would be the cats ***.
Always looking for the right one :)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Tdog wrote:Those that have cleaned many fish know you can do a pretty good job filleting even large fish with a 3 or 4 inch blade (if it's sharp) The process may be slowed somewhat but nice fillets can be had. Trying to skin with a short blade is another matter. Spyderco has designed a produced knives (thank you) that would work well for most of the mariner/fisherman's needs. Even though I have multiple fillet knives I would still buy a dedicated fillet
knife(s) medium flex with a blade around 8" in .125 stock. Needs to have a non-slip handle perhaps checkered G10, maybe CPM 154, S30v, or MBS-26 to hold down the cost . How about another Phil Wilson collaboration a la Shelter Cove? :D :D Pretty, pretty please :D Phil's knives just look like they are supposed to. Hope we don't have to wait for spring to Sprig :p

Funny you mention the idea of filleting with a shorter blade. I spend a lot of hours at the cleaning table and I actually much prefer working with shorter (and wider) blades. Between 5 and 5 1/2" is pretty much my length of choice, even on larger fish. Of course for skinning I like a long fillet with a good bit of flex.

I'm pretty sure I saw Sal make a comment recently about Spyderco having plans to make a shelter cove in two different lengths.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I missed that comment but yeeeeeeeeeehaw and wooooooohoooooo if he can make this happen. :eek: :eek: :D
If there would be 2 different lengths let's have one a 9" or 10" please :)
Last edited by Tdog on Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Tdog wrote:I missed that comment but yeeeeeeeeeehaw and wooooooohoooooo if he can make this happen. :eek: :eek: :D
Yup, I would love to see it happen! I have an 8 1/2" shelter cove right now that I'm working with and its just an awesome fillet knife!
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Surfingringo wrote:My number one requirement for a fishing knife is that it should be able to fillet a fish in a pinch.
Have you tried Japanese style fish work, it uses totally different blades and doesn't require the severe demands on what makes a "good" western fillet knife.
bearfacedkiller

A spyderco collaboration shelter cove would be a must buy for me.
-Darby
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

My request is still for an H-1 Full sized Dyad.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Surfingringo wrote:A folder somewhere around 4-4.25". That's about as big as you can go and still be comfortable to carry in pocket or iwb i believe. My number one requirement for a fishing knife is that it should be able to fillet a fish in a pinch. I don't think a folding fillet knife is the answer (those tend to lose utility function in other areas) but I do like a knife that is at least capable of doing that kind of work if you don't have the proper tool. This means it needs to have a nice point and ffg would be preferred. Ideally offered in both pe and se but as much as I like h1 for serrated knives I would want another option for pe...possibly lc-200n?

For me, I think the Military would make a very nice platform for this kind of knife. Right kind of blade, right size and it carries comfortably for a large knife. Maybe now that we have some rust proof options other than H1 this could be a real possibility. A "salt" version of the Military is about the only knife I can think of that could displace my Pacific Salt.
Brother I've got the absolute perfect blade for what you have in mind>> About a year ago there was a thread about H-1 blades and what you wish would be reproduced in H-1. The C-60 Ayoob model in H-1 is what you are looking for I can assure you. In that thread one of the guys from Upstate New York chimed in and said that his Ayoob is what he used to fillet all of his fish with. I will never forget that>> and wouldn't it make sense to have the Ayoob available in H-1 blade steel with a yellow G-10 handle and have it available in full PE and full Spyderedge.

I don't object to you wanting a Military model in the H-1 Salt Series but I can assure you that for fishing and cleaning fish the Ayoob model is much more ergonomically suitable for what you mainly use your blades for. I'm telling you an H-1 Ayoob would truly be a fisherman's dream folder.
jounce

Post by jounce »

elena86 wrote:A 3.1-3.3 inch serrated blade Tusk would be great.
Yes! I love the design (so much better than Davis or Myerchin sailing knives), but the blade is fairly small. Maybe a combo edge for us middle-of-the-road folks?