Shot Show 2015

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jazz

Re: Shot Show 2015

Post by Jazz »

Does he GB2 have a guard, or is it the same dip as the 1?
- best wishes, Jazz.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Another couple of videos from SHOT :)

Here Eric goes through a few models including the Squarehead and the new Chaparral 3

Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

Do they have any videos or discussions on new sharpening stuff coming out, ifmthere is any?
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Did any of you spoted the Spyderco Ion at Show ? Some say it reinterprets the Southard Tarsus....
JLS

Post by JLS »

On Friday, I did have the chance to talk with Ed Schempp. He walked me through some of his designs, including two folding kitchen/camp cook knives. The one was huge and was intended as a portable chefs knife so they could transport it safely. He also had a really neat horticulture knife that combined a hawkbill blade with a comfortable handle both edge down and edge up as you'd often use in horticulture. He also had some newer ethnic knives that were really beautiful and I'm anxious to see develop in the future.
Brad Southard showed me a smaller flipper of his, though I don't remember whether it was marked as a prototype or concept. It was a beautiful knife and had a recessed lock in CF handles, making it extremely lightweight. It was quite a bit smaller than the existing Southard and was incredibly smooth with a newer bearing set. Brad was a real pleasure to talk with and gave some of the finer points of flipper designs.

Since I was starstruck the previous day, I paid a bit more attention to the knives the second day I dropped by the booth. Phil Wilson had a smaller fixed blade that could serve as a EDC or small hunter. Gayle Bradley also had a smaller fixed blade that was incredibly light and thin. It had his normal drop point blade, about 4" long with very thin handles and would make a wonderful EDC for general use. He also showed me a Spyderco version of a smaller flipper folder that he also had in his pocket. It was very light and smooth and I hope it sees production. It would be a great little gentlemans/office EDC folder.

A personal favorite in my collection is the Lil’ Temperance. The LT2 prototype was in the case and was actually very nice. I love the original functionally and for its quirks, but I seem to be one of the few that like the original’s quirks. The LT2 has all of the functional of the original and is a worthy successor. It retained one of the indexing divots which is a neat nod to the original. I’ll always love the original color, clip w/indexing divots (once the “rails” were radiused) and the machining on the handle. The LT2 adds a 4 way spoon clip, a more refined Compression Lock and a refined overall presentation. Everyone who missed out on the original should be very pleased with the new one.

I also dropped by the OpFocus booth and shook hands with Mike and talked with Gene Viele about shooting, knives and all kinds of stuff. He showed me the Reverse and Mike chimed in for a few minutes about the design. It was really neat to be able to see and handle it and it’ll make a great defensive blade.

Shortly before I had to leave SHOT, I passed by the booth and Sal and Eric were at the prototype cases. I took the opportunity to shake hands with Eric and personally thank Sal for the Mule Team program. I’d interrupted him talking to a younger Spyderco employee at the booth and he took the opportunity to explain to her how nutty knife guys can be and how much he enjoyed supplying us with the chance to play with the different steels. I showed him the Mule I had on me (Cobalt Special handled with some black walnut) as well as a Swick 2 I’d done with some Koa and it felt pretty neat to have Sal inspect a couple of knives that I’d finished off. It was a real pleasure to speak with Sal and see that he truly enjoys talking with customers, educating his staff (on knives and the people that love them) and he’s truly passionate about cutlery and seeing it be used.

No pictures to share, but Everyone at the Spyderco booth was happy to be there and happy to share with the folks that approached the booth. I’m been a Spyderco owner and fan for somewhere about 20 years now. The knives have always been great and just keep getting better. The company and the people there make it easy to be a fanboy and the performance is able to back it up…all day, everyday.
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Thanks for the update, JLS!

Really looking forward to this (Southard Ion):
JLS wrote:Brad Southard showed me a smaller flipper of his, though I don't remember whether it was marked as a prototype or concept. It was a beautiful knife and had a recessed lock in CF handles, making it extremely lightweight. It was quite a bit smaller than the existing Southard and was incredibly smooth with a newer bearing set. Brad was a real pleasure to talk with and gave some of the finer points of flipper designs.
MCM

Post by MCM »

2 words: Bacon Donut............ (Really)...........
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Sounds good to me. :D
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

MCM wrote:2 words: Bacon Donut............ (Really)...........
And when will these be released? I'd like to preorder one...thousand.
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

You can often find maple bacon donuts in Canada.
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.
swigert

Post by swigert »

MCM wrote:2 words: Bacon Donut............ (Really)...........
What blade is that?
swigert

Post by swigert »

bradley bowie?
MCM

Post by MCM »

Just a Donut knife.
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

So that's where the inspiration for the Spyderhole came from...Doughnuts! mmmmmmmm doughnuts
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

swigert wrote:bradley bowie?
That's a Southfork.....you can just make out the two front pins and the choil is definitely looking like the one I am holding in front of me right now.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

ManixFan wrote:
swigert wrote:bradley bowie?
That's a Southfork....
or could it be the new Sprig? :D

Just like to thank JLS for his review and MCM for the behind the scenes pic (I hope you have a few more to share :p )
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Chaparral looks absolutely amazing!
And you can tell the action is just pure silk.
That's one nice knife fellas....
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

MacLaren wrote:The Chaparral looks absolutely amazing!
Waiting for the brass one, fo sho.

It's a true mark of craftsmanship that most people wouldn't even recognize the difficulty in achieving that level of fit and finish. Spyderco: making it look easy.
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

Yeah the new chap looked way better on camera than in the catalogue. At first I dismissed it but now I see the blue is so subtle I would really want one.
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

tvenuto wrote:
MacLaren wrote:The Chaparral looks absolutely amazing!
Waiting for the brass one, fo sho.

It's a true mark of craftsmanship that most people wouldn't even recognize the difficulty in achieving that level of fit and finish. Spyderco: making it look easy.
Brass.... Cool.
Yes, Spyderco does make it look easy.