Spyderco's Abroad

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Enigma

Spyderco's Abroad

Post by Enigma »

What knife do you take when going on holiday, either locally or internationally.
How did you decide which knife/knives to take with you?

I recently got married and my wife and i had the pleasure of going to Mauritius on our honeymoon.
I decided to take my combo edge delica IV for with me for the trip.
I chose that knife because of its relatively short blade, I couldn't find any knife laws on Mauritius so didn't want to take a chance with a big blade and risk having it confiscated, combo edge(best of both worlds), Light weight, easy to carry and the VG10 steel offers good corrosion resistance.

What do you guys carry when traveling?
GoldenSpydie

Re: Spyderco's Abroad

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I took a Delica 4 to Churchill, Canada, but sadly, I don't have any pictures of the knife on that trip. Most of my other international travel I have not taken a knife for fear of local laws in places such as India, Israel, etc.

However, traveling within the US, I always have a knife. I usually match it to the occasion: Salt 1 in the Florida keys and a Paramilitary 2 for backpacking 50 miles in Wyoming. I often like to try out a new knife on trips; for example, I carried a just-released Manix 2 Cruwear in Wyoming last summer and a Lil' Lionspy in Wyoming this winter.

PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Hey Enigma, I hope you enjoyed " my" island and the honeymoon (and congratulations). Nice to see one of Jason's stone / acid washes travelling! You won't find knife specific laws here, just vague weapon laws - short version is, don't flash it around and convince the cop that it is a tool rather than a weapon and you should be okay unless you have a blade that is obviously a weapon or self defence blade.

Back to the question though ... I travel internationally at least once a month and usually check in a SAK (Pioneer) and a Pingo or Terzoula slip-it just in case there are issues with locking knives. Travelling to South Africa is different, I take whatever tickles my fancy when I pack (but I also still have a stash of knifes there).
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Usually it depend on local laws. When i go to NYC, no spydercos just SAK. Florida - Caly3.5. When I am not sure about laws - Caly3. Recent trip to Dominican Republic - Orange Ladybug. By mistake I took it couple time for a swim in the ocean. I dried it right after - no stains at all. Old good VG10.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Usually I carry a smaller Spyderco that is also cheap so I don't get upset if it gets lost. I'm going to Vegas tomorrow actually and plan to bring my orange Dragonfly for that very reason, though having said that, if I only bring carry-on I won't be able to bring my knife. If that's the case (Not sure yet as I haven't packed) I'll buy one when I get down there to carry, and check luggage on my way home, or mail it back home to myself if I do just carry on for the return trip.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

3rdGenRigger wrote:.. if I only bring carry-on I won't be able to bring my knife. If that's the case (Not sure yet as I haven't packed) I'll buy one when I get down there to carry, and check luggage on my way home, or mail it back home to myself if I do just carry on for the return trip.
For flying I pretty much do this also. I don't generally check luggage, so carrying a knife is out. For the last several flying trips I bought a new knife, used it while on vacation, and then mailed it home. (When you don't check baggage, room is at a premium. The one price USPS boxes aren't a terrible expense, plus we often buy souvenirs. Shipping them home on the way to the airport is a breeze.) I usually buy a smaller knife. On our last trip to Seattle it was a Buck Lancer. Non locking knife about the size of a Case Peanut. A cute little knife that now reminds me of a wonderful trip every time I use it. I'm not too picky, as I just need to have a knife in my pocket, and small Swiss Army Knives are available just about everywhere. I'm not a advocate of knives for self defense. I'm not exactly young and have a slight back problem. If I feel the need for self defense, I just carry a cane. Nobody raises an eyebrow at a old fashioned crookneck cane.

Driving, I generally have my current favorite 8-10 knives with me, and choose my daily carry based on the days activities. This may seem like alot, but I am counting a Leatherman in the glovebox, a ladybug on my keys, a FB and SAK in my emergency kit in the trunk, etc.

I truly wish they had actually changed the carry on laws. I can see a roadie in my future nonetheless.

Grizz
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

For me usually a SAK (Pioneer), and a cheaper, regular production, and easy to replace Spydie around 3 inch.

If I go to the coast it will be stainless or H1.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

gdwtvb wrote:
3rdGenRigger wrote:.. if I only bring carry-on I won't be able to bring my knife. If that's the case (Not sure yet as I haven't packed) I'll buy one when I get down there to carry, and check luggage on my way home, or mail it back home to myself if I do just carry on for the return trip.
For flying I pretty much do this also. I don't generally check luggage, so carrying a knife is out. For the last several flying trips I bought a new knife, used it while on vacation, and then mailed it home. (When you don't check baggage, room is at a premium. The one price USPS boxes aren't a terrible expense, plus we often buy souvenirs. Shipping them home on the way to the airport is a breeze.) I usually buy a smaller knife. On our last trip to Seattle it was a Buck Lancer. Non locking knife about the size of a Case Peanut. A cute little knife that now reminds me of a wonderful trip every time I use it. I'm not too picky, as I just need to have a knife in my pocket, and small Swiss Army Knives are available just about everywhere. I'm not a advocate of knives for self defense. I'm not exactly young and have a slight back problem. If I feel the need for self defense, I just carry a cane. Nobody raises an eyebrow at a old fashioned crookneck cane.

Driving, I generally have my current favorite 8-10 knives with me, and choose my daily carry based on the days activities. This may seem like alot, but I am counting a Leatherman in the glovebox, a ladybug on my keys, a FB and SAK in my emergency kit in the trunk, etc.

I truly wish they had actually changed the carry on laws. I can see a roadie in my future nonetheless.

Grizz
Yeah, last time I bought a Caly Jr. and a SE Spyderhawk (There's a great store in Vegas with lots of discontinued and hard to find models), and this time I'll probably buy something discontinued to add to my collection once again. It'll be my birthday present to myself, but I've been rethinking my option of orange dragonfly...I think I'll bring my user ZDP Caly 3 with me because it's less conspicuous and cost the same as the dragonfly because I bought it used...if I bring a bag. When driving I also have lots...Leatherman, Ladybug/Jester, Spyderwrench/Byrdwrench, and 2-4 other Spydercos to vie for right front pocket.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

I've only traveled internationally one time. I went to Sofia, Bulgaria in March/April of 2014. I took my trusty Vic Super Tinker that I've had since senior year in high school. I didnt want to risk a Spydie. Traveling domestically, I travel with a D4 and a Vic if possible.

On a side note, Bulgaria was an amazing trip that I'm very much hoping my company allows me to repeat eventually.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

ASmitty wrote:I've only traveled internationally one time. I went to Sofia, Bulgaria in March/April of 2014. I took my trusty Vic Super Tinker that I've had since senior year in high school. I didnt want to risk a Spydie. Traveling domestically, I travel with a D4 and a Vic if possible.

On a side note, Bulgaria was an amazing trip that I'm very much hoping my company allows me to repeat eventually.

Did you see any traditional Bulgarian knives for sale or other knives for sale in the market places and stores there?
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I rarely travel abroad because of my medical condition(liver transplant).From time to time I visit my little daughter in Norway and I allways take my SAK(Camper) with me.I feel like naked.But when I visit my elder daughter who lives in London, is even worse.I am afraid to take even a SAK with me.I will never understand the Brits.They seem like nice people but their laws are...uhhhh...But soon, I will be able to travel long distances so I am planning a trip to Asia,Africa and Oceania.I decided not to care about local laws anymore and to take my beloved Slysz Bowie with me or maybe the Pacific Salt serrated moded by Lance.It's between these two for now.
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

PSquared wrote:Hey Enigma, I hope you enjoyed " my" island and the honeymoon (and congratulations). Nice to see one of Jason's stone / acid washes travelling! You won't find knife specific laws here, just vague weapon laws - short version is, don't flash it around and convince the cop that it is a tool rather than a weapon and you should be okay unless you have a blade that is obviously a weapon or self defence blade.

Back to the question though ... I travel internationally at least once a month and usually check in a SAK (Pioneer) and a Pingo or Terzoula slip-it just in case there are issues with locking knives. Travelling to South Africa is different, I take whatever tickles my fancy when I pack (but I also still have a stash of knifes there).
Thanks PSquared we had a great time and "your" island is beautiful :)
That delica was the first knife Jason ever Stone/Acid washed, I lent it to him to do a trial on.
It seems like the Mauritian knife laws are much like South Africa's.