JD's Top 10: Everything included

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

JD's Top 10: Everything included

Post by JD Spydo »

OK we just did this for the Spyderedges and I was just a bit disappointed with the turnout. But on this Top 10 list just put any Spyder with any blade steel, with any edge type. I don't care if it is a conventional folder, Hawkbill or one of Spyderco's specialty blades. Go ahead and put down kitchen knives of Spyderco's if that's what you like the best. Also please mention the blade steels and whether or not it's a Sprint model.

If you can't do 10 then at least try to do 5. Because I truly want to see a consensus of what we all here at Spyderville collectively like the best. OK here's the JD Top 10 list

(1) C-44 Dyad ATS-55 & VG-10
(2)C-60 Ayoob PE & SE
(3) Spyderhawk in H-1 or VG-10
(4) G-10 Harpy
(5) JD Smith SE & PE, VG-10
(6) Temperance 1 fixed blade, VG-10 in PE & SE
(7) C-111 Captain
(8) Native SE, 440V
(9) Military CTS-XHP
(10) C-50 Centofante PE & SE, ATS-34
Honorable mention C-46 Lum Tanto Folder, CE, ATS-55
Lil Temperance, Rhino Horn
Stainless Handled Rescue, ATS-55 SE
Catcherman AUS-8 full Spyderedge
Ulize
Well you see I have a lot of old school blades and I still tend to lean in that direction. But this go around I've also listed many of the blades I actually use a lot instead of admiring safe queens. OK let's see everyone's Top 10 for the New Year :cool:
MarcusH

Re: JD's Top 10: Everything included

Post by MarcusH »

My current Top Ten:

#1 C144 Caly 3.5 Superblue
#2 C52 Caly jr., micarta/AUS-8 and FRN/ZDP189
#3 C95 Manix 1, original and 2008 Sprint Run, both CPM-S30V
#4 C90 Stretch CF/ZDP189
#5 C55 Starmate original, CPM-440V
#6 C173 Hungarian Folder, CTS-XHP
#7 C58 JD Smith, second production variant with micarta/VG-10
#8 C70 A.T.R. Titanium, CPM-S30V
9# C83 Persian micarta/VG-10
#10 C56 Zowada, second production variant with micarta/VG-10

Honorable mentions:
C69 Lil' Temperance, C42 Viele, C54 Calypso, C75 Kiwi lockback, C124 Barong, C71 Salsa Titanium
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

This is way too hard to do, mainly because so many great knives don't make the list ... also, this is a "fluid" list as my tastes and preferences change continuously ... :cool: ...

1) Kopa (VG-10)
2) PM2 (Sprint, CTS-204P)
3) Kiwi 1 (VG-10)
3.5) PPT (S30V)
5) Caly 3 (Carbon Fiber, ZDP-189)
6) D-Fly 2 (Foliage G-10, VG-10)
7) Jester (Gray G10 Sprint, VG-10)
8) Native 4 (PE, S30V)
9) Cricket (Plain SS, VG-10)
10) Gayle Bradley Air (M4)

*honorable mention:
Solo SO05 (Button Lock, AUS-10)
Solo SO01PS (CE, Seki City ... steel?)
Cento 4 (PE VG-10)
Worker (G-10 Sprint, VG-10)
Superleaf (PE, VG-10 I think)
Baby Wayne Goddard
Manbug (ZDP-189)
Ladybug (all)

~ edge
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Domino 204p
K2 10V
Southard 204p
Gayle Bradley M4
Temperance 2 VG10
Mule K390
Caly 3.5 VG10
Vallotton S30V
Schemmp Rock VG10
Lum Tanto VG10
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MarcusH wrote:My current Top Ten:

#1 C144 Caly 3.5 Superblue
#2 C52 Caly jr., micarta/AUS-8 and FRN/ZDP189
#3 C95 Manix 1, original and 2008 Sprint Run, both CPM-S30V
#4 C90 Stretch CF/ZDP189
#5 C55 Starmate original, CPM-440V
#6 C173 Hungarian Folder, CTS-XHP
#7 C58 JD Smith, second production variant with micarta/VG-10
#8 C70 A.T.R. Titanium, CPM-S30V
9# C83 Persian micarta/VG-10
#10 C56 Zowada, second production variant with micarta/VG-10

Honorable mentions:
C69 Lil' Temperance, C42 Viele, C54 Calypso, C75 Kiwi lockback, C124 Barong, C71 Salsa Titanium
Brother Marcus you and I seem to be on the same page a lot these days :D The Micarta Caly Jr., The C-56 Zowada, The C-54 big Calypso and of course the Lil T ( but I like the Rhino Horn version)>>and the JD Smith>> I get the feeling that many of the newbies are going to want the JD Smith to return to the main line up. To me the JD Smith is like Spyderco's answer to the Buck 110. It's that iconic as far as I'm concerned or maybe more so. The JD Smith is just as great in PE as it is in SE>> but I don't have to tell you that. It and the Ayoob in PE & SE along with the JD Smith are 2 of my go-to in a pinch folders that I know I can rely on.

Great list Marcus!
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

From the recent "Members 2014 Top 10 List" thread:
GoldenSpydie wrote:Ok...this is going to be hard.

1. PM2 (Impossible to pick my favorite variation.)
2. Manix 2 Cruwear
3. Manix XL S90V
4. Poliwog SS
5. Salt 1 yellow/PE
6. Native 5 moonglow
7. Domino 204P
8. Lil' Lionspy
9. Yojimbo S90V
10. Native 1 XHP
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

GoldenSpydie wrote:From the recent "Members 2014 Top 10 List" thread:
GoldenSpydie wrote:Ok...this is going to be hard.

1. PM2 (Impossible to pick my favorite variation.)
2. Manix 2 Cruwear
3. Manix XL S90V
4. Poliwog SS
5. Salt 1 yellow/PE
6. Native 5 moonglow
7. Domino 204P
8. Lil' Lionspy
9. Yojimbo S90V
10. Native 1 XHP
Well I hope at least one of those NATIVE models is Spyderedged The Yojimbo in S90V is definitely on my want list. I've had many variations of the Manix but I grew weary of them because I'm getting away from overly wide blades for the most part>> but each to his own.

But overall it's a very interesting list. Does anyone know if they make a Spyderedged Native in XHP yet? If so I'll dive in head first.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

No...none of the knives on my list have serrations. I know you'll probably kill me through the internet, but PE is how I like knives. ;) :)

As for the XHP Native, I believe that it was an exclusive run for Knife Center in PE only. I always wanted one but never bought one and then they sold out...I was really happy to find one for $35 at the SFO Seconds Sale.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

GoldenSpydie wrote:No...none of the knives on my list have serrations. I know you'll probably kill me through the internet, but PE is how I like knives. ;) :)

As for the XHP Native, I believe that it was an exclusive run for Knife Center in PE only. I always wanted one but never bought one and then they sold out...I was really happy to find one for $35 at the SFO Seconds Sale.
NO!! I don't hate anybody who is Plain Edged Exclusive>> I have a few pals that are like that. But if you ever learn the immense tool value of a good one like the Spyderedged, 440V NATIVE you won't look back I can assure you ;) For some reason I got this huge desire to want to try out a Spyderedged blade made with XHP. I get a strong gut feeling that would be a great Spyderedge steel for some reason. Because it does remind me of some of the properties of 440V for some reason. My XHP Military model is the best one I've owned so far. I kind of missed the boat on the S90V MILLIE but I'll snag one eventually.

It's a darn good list you put up though Brother because it's really intriguing and unusual in a lot of ways. That's what I like about Spyderville it's a really diverse crowd with wild tastes in blades>> I'm not the only Spyderedged fool around :D
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

My top 10.

#1 Rubicon, CF , S30V , PE
#2 Slysz Bowie , TI , XHP , PE
#3 Slysz Techno , TI , XHP , PE
#4 Manix 2 , Sprintrun , G10 , CRUWEAR , PE
#5 Lil Temperance Rhino , G10 , 440V , PE
#6 Lil Temperance Leaf , G10 , S30v , PE
#7 Native 5 Fluted Ti, TI , S35VN , PE
#8 A.T.R. SS ,VG-10 , PE
9# Native 5 Forum knife 2013 , G10 , S110V , PE
#10 Harpy , SS , VG10 , SE

And since this one is a bit special because of the mod i do not put it on the list.
My Para 2 , Walnut wood , S30V , PE
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

This is tough. To get it done in a reasonable amount of time I am listing top 10 as a group and 1 doesn't mean my favorite followed by 2, 3 etc. All will be Plain Edge. Top 10 in no special order:

1) Spyderco Endura Super Blue
2) Spyderco Endura VG10 FFG/FRN/PE
3) Military Cruwear *
4) Native S110V ( forum knife 2013?)
5) Farid Mehr K2 10V
6) Millie Ti CPM M4 *
7) Caly jr. ZDP 189
8) Manix S110V
9) Millie BG42
10) Mule 52100K390CruwearCTSB75CPMM4S90VSuperBlueTakefuCoSpecial

* Depending on what time of day one of these would be "favorite knife ever" with Super Blue Endure rounding out top 3.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Ok, here's my (very, very biased) top five.

1) Dragonfly ZDP
2) Stretch ZDP
3) Endura ZDP
4) ESEE 6
5) Manbug (or Ladybug) ZDP
Honorable Mention) Delica ZDP

The dragonfly is the go-to; this knife will wear out the fastest, as it will be used and sharpened more than any other. It's big enough for (almost) any job in an urban EDC situation. The Stretch is the next go-to; if the Dragonfly isn't big enough, this one will be. You love pulling out the Stretch; it fits comfortably in your hand and you feel confident using it; you often find excuses to use it, even when the Dragonfly is really more than adequate. The Endura you use as a beater; it's got a little wider angle on the edge, it's not quite as comfortable in your hand, a little less versatile, but incredibly capable; you'll use it for rough work, mostly, to save your other blades. The ESEE is your big boy, your heavyweight, your "there is nothing that will stand in the way of me splitting these atoms." Sure, you could sub a Schemp Rock in here, or a Bushcraft, but I felt that enough of us like the ESEEs that I could cheat here. The Manbug is your baby; you keep it razor sharp, with a thin microbevel (and a thinner primary); it's your lazer, your cutting tool when you need to perform microscopic surgery, your one true edge. Finally, our honorable mention: the Delica is a great knife. If you hate choils, you could probably replace both the Dragonfly and the Stretch with this one knife (but honestly who would?). Oh, did I mention they all match? :D
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Mastiff wrote:This is tough. To get it done in a reasonable amount of time I am listing top 10 as a group and 1 doesn't mean my favorite followed by 2, 3 etc. All will be Plain Edge. Top 10 in no special order:

1) Spyderco Endura Super Blue
2) Spyderco Endura VG10 FFG/FRN/PE
3) Military Cruwear *
4) Native S110V ( forum knife 2013?)
5) Farid Mehr K2 10V
6) Millie Ti CPM M4 *
7) Caly jr. ZDP 189
8) Manix S110V
9) Millie BG42
10) Mule 52100K390CruwearCTSB75CPMM4S90VSuperBlueTakefuCoSpecial
That's very impressive list there Joe>> I've just got to get something with a Cruwear Blade>> I've yet to do that. Interesting that you would rate the M-4 & BG-42 Military models above my beloved XHP Milie :o I know a lot of people love BG-42 for a lot of different reasons. If those Mules were the same exact design as my beloved TEMP 1 I would probably be all over them. Excellent List!!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

JD Spydo wrote:OK we just did this for the Spyderedges and I was just a bit disappointed with the turnout......................

If you can't do 10 then at least try to do 5. Because I truly want to see a consensus of what we all here at Spyderville collectively like the best. OK here's the JD Top 10 list
Well you see I have a lot of old school blades and I still tend to lean in that direction. But this go around I've also listed many of the blades I actually use a lot instead of admiring safe queens. OK let's see everyone's Top 10 for the New Year :cool:
I need to know....Top 10 from those we own ? May we sqeeze " wish to and need to own " ones ?
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

elena86 wrote:Top 10 from those we own ? May we sqeeze " wish to and need to own " ones ?
It might be better to list only knives that you really own.
Otherwise my Top 10 would be a little different, still hunting for a C27 Jess Horn and a C54 Calypso micarta/VG-10, both in NIB-condition.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

I'll start with what I have and add some past favorites:

1 Cruwear Manix
2 Native 5 Fluted Ti
3 Military Fluted Ti or Cruwear Military
4 Nilakka
5 Paramilitary 2 Blue M390
6 Native 5 LW
7 Southard flipper
8 Rubicon
9 Caly 3 Super Blue
10 Slysz Bowie
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I've just got to get something with a Cruwear Blade
It's not for everybody. I sure like it and it seems some others do too. Enough to make more than the initial one run needed. The second run sold out quickly too. I was extremely happy to see it in a modern high performing knife. It sure beats the old Gerber Sportsman 2 "V" steel Vascowear version which started this whole class of steels from 3V to the modern powder versions of the old Vascowear. CPM Cruwear ( also make an ingot version. The Mules were ingot Cruwear, the Millies were CPM ) , Zapp Z wear, CTS PD#1, and some more with pretty much the same composition.

I like it's balance of toughness, wear resistance ( Above D2 for both, below CPM M4 for wear resistance but maybe a bit tougher than CPM M4. Cruwear takes hardness's up to rc 63 without missing a beat.

Not that far off XHP in the performance actually which itself is a great steel with it's own fans. A Powder version of the old 440XH (stainless D2)

BG42 has been out done in most of the attributes we all like in cutlery steels but I still like it The Mules have been one of my favorite things I've ever seen in my over 40 years of knife use and collecting. A good design with all those different steels to have fun with and learn. I still have at least one of every one Sal has released so far and plan on keeping them as long as I have any life , strength and mobility in me.

Sal and Spyderco could have used the production time to schedule something that would have had a much higher profit margin. The fact that he didn't and made these, and keeps on taking the time, making the effort all for us steel junkies and performance seekers is another part of an amazing legacy with an outsize impact in the cutlery world. Back when Spyderco's to me were just ads for unusual looking knives I couldn't afford in magazines I read in the 80's I would never have known how much change Spyderco has brought to this industry with Sal as the primary driver behind the company. Him and those funny looking knives with holes in the blades that worked better than they looked and serrations that cut like heck! Here's to high performing steels and leaf shaped blades. :)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

1.Slysz Bowie
2.SlyszTechno
3.Para2 in M390
4.Delica in superblue
5.Domino blue G10 in CTS-204P
6.Southard satin
7.Caly3 in ZDP189
8.Military S90V blue G10
9.Pacific Salt spyderedge
10.Dragonfly ZDP189
Last edited by elena86 on Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

elena86 wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:OK we just did this for the Spyderedges and I was just a bit disappointed with the turnout......................

I need to know....Top 10 from those we own ? May we sqeeze " wish to and need to own " ones ?
No!! No!! No!! you don't have to own them at all. Myself and the rest of the Spyderville community just want to see how you all rate them so to speak. I don't care if it's old school which many are my personal favorites or if it's one of their specialty blades ( like the Maddox for instance) or PE OR SE or fixed blade. Just tell us what you like personally>> that's all
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Mastiff wrote:
I've just got to get something with a Cruwear Blade
Sal and Spyderco could have used the production time to schedule something that would have had a much higher profit margin. The fact that he didn't and made these, and keeps on taking the time, making the effort all for us steel junkies and performance seekers is another part of an amazing legacy with an outsize impact in the cutlery world. Back when Spyderco's to me were just ads for unusual looking knives I couldn't afford in magazines I read in the 80's I would never have known how much change Spyderco has brought to this industry with Sal as the primary driver behind the company. Him and those funny looking knives with holes in the blades that worked better than they looked and serrations that cut like heck! Here's to high performing steels and leaf shaped blades. :)
That's quite an interesting littany for blade steels and Spyderco history in general there MASTIFF :) Which leads me back to telling all our new members of the Spyderville community about the great book written and put together by Kenneth Delavigne entitled "THE SPYDERCO STORY". Luckily I still have mine in hardback. It's got so much vital Spyderco history and how Sal & Company really did revolutionize the cutlery industry. Many of his patents are sort of hidden in plain view>> take the pocket clip for instance>> many of the ninja wannabes that help us here where I work see my blades and immediately show off theirs. When I tell them that the pocket clip on their Rip-Mart, landfill destined piece of 3rd world crap was stolen from Spyderco they look at me like I need to be in a mental health ward. But the truth is the truth.

Even a lot of the premium cutlery companies that are in direct competition with Spyderco don't offer an array of blade steels and Sprint runs of Golden Oldies like this company does. Spyderco's standards are set extremely high in the industry and few realize it. Yes it's time for a sequel to the SPYDERCO STORY book. There was a lot that transpired in the last decade that needs to be documented.