JD's Top 10: Everything included

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: JD's Top 10: Everything included

Post by JD Spydo »

The Mastiff wrote:
I've just got to get something with a Cruwear Blade
Sal and Spyderco could have used the production time to schedule something that would have had a much higher profit margin. The fact that he didn't and made these, and keeps on taking the time, making the effort all for us steel junkies and performance seekers is another part of an amazing legacy with an outsize impact in the cutlery world. Back when Spyderco's to me were just ads for unusual looking knives I couldn't afford in magazines I read in the 80's I would never have known how much change Spyderco has brought to this industry with Sal as the primary driver behind the company. Him and those funny looking knives with holes in the blades that worked better than they looked and serrations that cut like heck! Here's to high performing steels and leaf shaped blades. :)
That's quite an interesting littany for blade steels and Spyderco history in general there MASTIFF :) Which leads me back to telling all our new members of the Spyderville community about the great book written and put together by Kenneth Delavigne entitled "THE SPYDERCO STORY". Luckily I still have mine in hardback. It's got so much vital Spyderco history and how Sal & Company really did revolutionize the cutlery industry. Many of his patents are sort of hidden in plain view>> take the pocket clip for instance>> many of the ninja wannabes that help us here where I work see my blades and immediately show off theirs. When I tell them that the pocket clip on their Rip-Mart, landfill destined piece of 3rd world crap was stolen from Spyderco they look at me like I need to be in a mental health ward. But the truth is the truth.

Even a lot of the premium cutlery companies that are in direct competition with Spyderco don't offer an array of blade steels and Sprint runs of Golden Oldies like this company does. Spyderco's standards are set extremely high in the industry and few realize it. Yes it's time for a sequel to the SPYDERCO STORY book. There was a lot that transpired in the last decade that needs to be documented.
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

1.- Military CF S90V
2.- Military Titanium / G-10 CPM-M4
3.- Military Fluted Titanium (flamed)
4.- A.T.R. Ti S30V
5.- Para-Military 2 CF (both versions are nice)
6.- Manix 2 CF S90V
7.- Caly 3.5... :( VG-10 or Super Blue
8.- Starmate CPM-440V
9.- Endura G-10
10.- Lil' Temperance S30V or CPM-440V... and Mini Manix, Manix C95, Domino, Techno, R, Superleaf, Bradley, Stretch CF, Jess Horn, Nilakka, Worker, Howard Viele, Barong, Centofante Memory, Dodo CF... a top 20 would be easier!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

nirvanero wrote:1.- Military CF S90V
4.- A.T.R. Ti S30V
6.- Manix 2 CF S90V
8.- Starmate CPM-440V
9.- Endura G-10
10.- Lil' Temperance S30V or CPM-440V... and Mini Manix, Manix C95, Domino, Techno, R, Superleaf, Bradley, Stretch CF, Jess Horn, Nilakka, Worker, Howard Viele, Barong, Centofante Memory, Dodo CF... a top 20 would be easier!
**** of a list there "nirvanero" :cool: What stood out to me immediately was that 80% of what you picked were USA made Spyders from the great folks at Golden, Colorado, USA Earth. I don't recall a top 10 list on one my threads that had that many USA Spyders in it>> You just can't go wrong with hardly any of the Military models. And if they bring back the Lil T I do hope they bring back the Rhino Horn version and make it available in SE this go around. Super list my friend ;)
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

JD Spydo wrote:
nirvanero wrote:1.- Military CF S90V
4.- A.T.R. Ti S30V
6.- Manix 2 CF S90V
8.- Starmate CPM-440V
9.- Endura G-10
**** of a list there "nirvanero" :cool: What stood out to me immediately was that 80% of what you picked were USA made Spyders from the great folks at Golden, Colorado, USA Earth. I don't recall a top 10 list on one my threads that had that many USA Spyders in it>> You just can't go wrong with hardly any of the Military models. And if they bring back the Lil T I do hope they bring back the Rhino Horn version and make it available in SE this go around. Super list my friend ;)
That's interesting as I didn't notice that, just thought about my favorite ones. I couldn't think of a list not including those three millies!... :) but Taichung also makes great knives and only after I try the Rubicon I'll know if it can beat one of my top ten.

About the new Lil Temperance I think it's gonna be very hard for it to rival the classic ones, but you never know...
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

1) oringinal Southard
2) SB Caly 3.5
3) 204P Green Para2
4) Temp2
5) Kreined Barong
6) original PPT
7) (gold bug) micarta large Persian
8) XHP Manix 2
9) Forum S110V green Native
10) Lil' Temp 2nd production run S30V
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sequimite wrote:1) oringinal Southard
2) SB Caly 3.5
3) 204P Green Para2
4) Temp2
5) Kreined Barong
6) original PPT
7) (gold bug) micarta large Persian
8) XHP Manix 2
9) Forum S110V green Native
10) Lil' Temp 2nd production run S30V
Greetings SeQ :) Long time no see >> you sure got some interesting picks to say the least. I've always loved the original Lil Temperance model. I much prefer the Rhino Horn version and wish they would bring it back in full Spyderedge. The Temp 2 has been on my want list for some time now because the little brother TEMP 1 is still one of my all time favorites that I constantly use. I know that Temp 2 is a beast and an outdoorsman's dream. I do wish that the S110V Native was available in Spyderedge. Great list!!
grewich

Post by grewich »

As of now...
1. Pm2 cts-20cp
2. Dragonfly g10
3. Gayle Bradley
4. Millie s90v blue g10
5. Millie fluted Ti
6. Millie cruwear
7. Captain
8. Rock Lobster
9. Persian red g10
10. Southard

Honorable mention goes to: pm2 m390, pm2 cts-204p & PPT
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

grewich wrote:As of now...
1. Pm2 cts-20cp
2. Dragonfly g10
3. Gayle Bradley
4. Millie s90v blue g10
5. Millie fluted Ti
6. Millie cruwear
7. Captain
8. Rock Lobster
9. Persian red g10
10. Southard

Honorable mention goes to: pm2 m390, pm2 cts-204p & PPT
I've wondered for a long time if anyone had any luck with the Rock Lobster model? That PM2 is showing up more than about any of them so far>> and that's probably the leader so far>> with it's big Brother the C-36 Military model right on it's heels. Also I'm finding it interesting this go around that the Dragonfly has gained a lot of favor lately. And the Captain is showing up more than usual too. Interesting list needless to say.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

PM2 M390
Stretch SB
Military M4
Military S90V
Manix M4
Caly 3 ZDP
Sage 2
Caly 3 SB
South Fork
Aqua Salt SE
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Brock O Lee wrote:PM2 M390
Stretch SB
Military M4
Military S90V
Manix M4
Caly 3 ZDP
Sage 2
Caly 3 SB
South Fork
Aqua Salt SE
Great list indeed>> It's really got my attention that there are many more Golden, Colorado USA Earth made Spyders in this top 10 thread than I can ever remember. Also there seems a larger than usual showing for the H-1 Salt Series as well. The C-36 Military model has made it's biggest showing since I can remember as well. This truly has been an interesting Top 10 thread>> But don't stop now :)
Hannibal Lecter

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

My Dear Friends,

JD, leave it to you to begin such an interesting exercise. My selections, in no particular order:

1 - Tasman Salt PE - there is never a time that I am on a river or lake in my kayak that this knife isn't clipped to my PFD.
2 - ATR - yes, it's a little large, but it is one of the very nicest Spyderco go-anywhere-do-anything knives ever crafted.
3 - Ronin - just fit my hand perfectly - good to see it is being resurrected.
4 - Yojimbo - again, perfect ergonomics and this knife just *cuts*. The ability to use the less-pointy end to affect pressure-point social compliance is also a plus.
5 - P'Kal - fun and fast. From an engineering standpoint it is one of the most beautifully designed Spyderco knives.
6 - Ed Schempp Persian - Ed Schempp is a genius. One of the most aesthetically beautiful knives I have ever laid eyes on.
7 - Ed Schempp Kris - see above. My opinion stands. ;)
8 - Paramilitary 2 - though I sadly don't currently own one, this might stand as my very favorite go-anywhere-do-anything Spyderco knife. There is *nothing* I don't like about this model: blade length, blade geometry, ergonomics, construction, locking mechanism - it's as close to a perfect EDC knife as I have ever encountered. If I could only own one Spyderco knife this one would be it - looks like I might have to "request" this one as a graduation gift when I finally get my college degree finished up.
9 - Caly 3. I can't explain my attraction to this one - there is just something inherently beautiful about the design, size, etc.
10 - Street Beat - for fixed blades this model is just wonderful - light weight and ergonomic.

Of course there are a bunch of honorable mentions - the stainless Cricket and Harpy among them. A Cricket rode in the watch pocket of my jeans for years.

To be honest I have never handled a Spyderco knife that I *didn't* like. A couple of them scared me a bit (think: Warren Thomas karambit, for instance), but each Spyderco knife I have handled was so well thought-out and executed I could appreciate the design and construction even if the aesthetics or utility didn't immediately or directly appeal to me. If I had unlimited funds I would just buy one of each model and be done with it, but as it sits I have to be kind of selective until college is over for me. The Para 2 and Yojimbo 2 are both on my "I really need these" list. :D

----------
Hannibal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hannibal Lecter wrote:My Dear Friends,

JD, leave it to you to begin such an interesting exercise. My selections, in no particular order:

1 - Tasman Salt PE

Of course there are a bunch of honorable mentions - the stainless Cricket and Harpy among them.

To be honest I have never handled a Spyderco knife that I *didn't* like. A couple of them scared me a bit (think: Warren Thomas karambit, for instance), but each Spyderco knife I have handled was so well thought-out and executed I could appreciate the design and construction even if the aesthetics or utility didn't immediately or directly appeal to me. If I had unlimited funds I would just buy one of each model and be done with it, but as it sits I have to be kind of selective until college is over for me. The Para 2 and Yojimbo 2 are both on my "I really need these" list. :D
Doctor Lecter!!! :eek: Holy Popcorn BATMAN!!!! How ARE YOU MY OLD FRIEND?? :)

about time you checked in on your old comrades here at Spyderville :D But Doctor you're really throwing me a Curve Ball on couple of these for sure. First and foremost you rate the TASMAN Salt as #1>> well OK I can sort of see that pick but PE and not SE??? Doctor you're the one that persuaded me to give SE Hawkbills a serious test drive way back in the days of Daywalker, Jimmy Dean and our dear lady SIMONA :rolleyes: And you actually were the Spyder-Evangelist that got me hooked on SE & Hawkbills both. I thought for sure your #1 pick would have been the SE Harpy because I always thought that to be your icon so to speak :confused:

Now the STreetBeat I can certainly give you a high five on that one. But you said you never test drove a Spyder you didn't like>> I could have swore at one time you said you didn't like the NATIVE>> Well I can't make too big a deal about it because at one time I wasn't liking it much either. Until I got backed into a corner and had a super horribly rough job that I thought I was going to destroy a knife doing it. So I took my 440V SE Native that had been sitting in my footlocker for a long time>> dont' even remember how I got it. It endured that job unbelievably well and became one of my very favorite hard work blades and I'm using it today. Thought you would like to know that.

Doctor I can't tell you how much we enjoy your company here at Spyderville. Check out some of our Spyderedge threads we have going. And give Jodi Foster our regards :rolleyes: :D
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

My Top 10 Production models (in no particular order):

1. C75 Jigged Bone Kiwi
2. C90PBK FRN/VG-10 Stretch
3. C152CF Chaparral
4. K05P Small Utility
5. C75-2 All Stainless Kiwi 2
6. K08 Santoku
7. JBGM Burundy Micarta Jester
8. C52PGY FRN/VG-10 Calypso Jr Sprint
9. C155TI Frank Centofante Memory
10. C83BM Ed Schempp Persian
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Deacon wrote:My Top 10 Production models (in no particular order):

1. C75 Jigged Bone Kiwi
4. K05P Small Utility
6. K08 Santoku
7. JBGM Burundy Micarta Jester
The old Burgundy Micarta Jester :) I had 3 of those at one point and I remember getting 2 of them from "pjrocco" that used to be a big contributor here on the forum. They are a really high quality, beautiful unit for a ladybug sized folder. I'm sure they'll be a collector's icon at some point if not already.

The K-05 and Santoku are both great with kitchen chores. Most people have little or no idea at all how superb Spyderco's kitchen knives are. To me they are even more functional than J.A. Henckel or Wustof which up till the time I got Spyder-bit were my 2 favorite kitchen blades.

The Jigged Bone Kiwi is interesting because it reminds me so much of the old Jess Horn C-27 which is becoming extremely rare. I don't remember just how many of those KIWI models there were but I'm sure you have most of them if not all of them :D But for small knives the Burgundy Jester and jigged bone KIWI are both sweet.
Hannibal Lecter

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

My Dear Fellow,
JD Spydo wrote:Doctor Lecter!!! :eek: Holy Popcorn BATMAN!!!! How ARE YOU MY OLD FRIEND?? :)
All things considered I am well - working too much and back in college. All going well one more year and my degree will be done - I'll be exceedingly glad to have it over, to be honest.
JD Spydo wrote:about time you checked in on your old comrades here at Spyderville :D But Doctor you're really throwing me a Curve Ball on couple of these for sure. First and foremost you rate the TASMAN Salt as #1>> well OK I can sort of see that pick but PE and not SE??? Doctor you're the one that persuaded me to give SE Hawkbills a serious test drive way back in the days of Daywalker, Jimmy Dean and our dear lady SIMONA :rolleyes: And you actually were the Spyder-Evangelist that got me hooked on SE & Hawkbills both. I thought for sure your #1 pick would have been the SE Harpy because I always thought that to be your icon so to speak :confused:
As I mentioned, my list was in no particular order of selection. ;) My preference for the Tasman in PE is primarily an aesthetic thing - the SE is admittedly a better cutter. It should also be noted that my wife absconded with my Tasman Salt SE and has it on *her* PFD while kayaking, so the SE version is still relied on quite heavily.

As an aside, I still have my very first Harpy SE, which is actually how this all started: I had been looking at knives in catalogs at my workplace (a sporting goods retailer) and saw Spyderco knives. When I looked at the retail prices I just about had a heart attack - seriously? $100+ for a pocketknife? You could get a knife at WalMart for $20 - what was the difference? Having recently read the excellent Thomas Harris novel series, I recalled the Spyderco Harpy SE being mentioned specifically, so I decided on a whim to order one and see what the big deal was. EVERYTHING about that knife screamed quality, from concept to design to engineering to production. I was instantly hooked - I discovered these forums and wanted to use the forum name Hannibal Lecter, but I noticed there had been a couple of jokers using similar user names here that thrived on creating drama and being, shall we say, inappropriate. I emailed Spyderco inquiring if it would be OK to use Hannibal Lecter as a forum ID and promised to behave were it permitted. After a week or so with no response, I decided to take the plunge and give it a try. You pretty much know the rest of the story. ;)
JD Spydo wrote:Now the Street Beat I can certainly give you a high five on that one. But you said you never test drove a Spyder you didn't like>> I could have swore at one time you said you didn't like the NATIVE>> Well I can't make too big a deal about it because at one time I wasn't liking it much either. Until I got backed into a corner and had a super horribly rough job that I thought I was going to destroy a knife doing it. So I took my 440V SE Native that had been sitting in my footlocker for a long time>> dont' even remember how I got it. It endured that job unbelievably well and became one of my very favorite hard work blades and I'm using it today. Thought you would like to know that.
The Native actually grew on me greatly over time - I don't know why that knife in particular didn't strike my fancy so much right out of the gate. Possibly, at the time I was heavily into MBC blades and the Natives didn't really fit the bill - they were wonderful, lightweight, ergonomic knives, but I suppose in retrospect they seemed sort of "plain" or "common" compared to so many of the other Spyderco knives available at the time. Placed against a blue Yojimbo, Ronin, ATR, Gunting, etc. they seemed lackluster. Again, as time went on I gave them a more honest try and was incredibly impressed with every aspect of the Natives' design. In the end, it wasn't any deficiency on the part of the knife - it was merely my own personal prejudices that narrowed my vision.
JD Spydo wrote:Doctor I can't tell you how much we enjoy your company here at Spyderville. Check out some of our Spyderedge threads we have going. And give Jodi Foster our regards :rolleyes: :D
I check in and read periodically, though I grant you that I don't post much these days. Working two jobs, attending college, teaching my daughter how to drive, and performing with two different bands tends to absorb a LOT of time. ;)

Good to see you still on here, old friend. :D

P.S. - my most often used Spyderco knife is the Santoku... :cool:

----------
Hannibal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Hannibal Lecter wrote:I check in and read periodically, though I grant you that I don't post much these days. Working two jobs, attending college, teaching my daughter how to drive, and performing with two different bands tends to absorb a LOT of time. ;)
----------
Hannibal
Good to see you Doc!
JD Spydo wrote:The old Burgundy Micarta Jester :) I had 3 of those at one point and I remember getting 2 of them from "pjrocco" that used to be a big contributor here on the forum. They are a really high quality, beautiful unit for a ladybug sized folder. I'm sure they'll be a collector's icon at some point if not already.
Had a bunch of them at one time, still have at least one "back up", but I've given some away and sold one or two, over the years. My first one has been keeping my keys company for over 11 years now and I still think it's the best "keychain" size Spyderco out there.
JD Spydo wrote:The K-05 and Santoku are both great with kitchen chores. Most people have little or no idea at all how superb Spyderco's kitchen knives are. To me they are even more functional than J.A. Henckel or Wustof which up till the time I got Spyder-bit were my 2 favorite kitchen blades.
Yes, they really are. If I had to make do with 2 kitchen knives for the rest of my days, it would be those two. There's very little that one, or the other, of them can't handle exquisitely.
JD Spydo wrote:The Jigged Bone Kiwi is interesting because it reminds me so much of the old Jess Horn C-27 which is becoming extremely rare. I don't remember just how many of those KIWI models there were but I'm sure you have most of them if not all of them :D But for small knives the Burgundy Jester and jigged bone KIWI are both sweet.
True, and IMHO, Moki did every bit as excellent work on those Kiwis as on the C27 Horns.

As for how many models; in addition to the Jigged Bone there were three additional bolster and scales versions sold by Spyderco. Those were smooth red bone with no visible pins, Mother of Pearl with Abalone accents, and Carbon Fiber. They also offered an all stainless version. There were also two bolster and scales versions made exclusively for A. G. Russell. One was Mother of Pearl and the other was Black Lip Pearl.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

That's just super Dr. Hannibal Lecter MD and the DEACON both checked into the JD's TOP thread :cool: Now if Daywalker, Agent Starling, pjrocco. smcfalls, Wali, Worker #9, Jimmy Dean, Simona ( The Gunting Girl), and about 2 dozen other old School Spyderheads would follow the Good Doctor's lead we could get a CLASS REUNION going :D :cool:

I do seem some of these guys and gals lurking on occasion but it would be nice to have them back.

I also sort of miss Ed Schempp chiming in from time to time as well.

Speaking of Simona I'm surprised that there hasn't been one mention of the Gunting model or Trainer in someones top 10.

And with Brother "WORkER #9" I;m surprised that there hasn't been a bigger showing of the original Lil Temperance as well.

But there have been some excellent models come forth and it's really enlightening to see what others carry and deem important for back up. Great Thread So Far and I thank everyone of you
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Navigator
Paramilitary II
Perrin PPT
Leafstorm
Techno
Breeden Rescue
Spin
Remote Release II
Dragonfly
Endura
BTG

Post by BTG »

#1 lil lionspy. Elmax
#2 native 5 Titanium. CPM S35VN
#3 native 5 carbon fiber CPM S110V. Sprint
#4 Para Military 2 Elmax. Sprint
#5 Military CPM CRUWEAR. Sprint
#6 Citadel CPM S30V
#7 Embassy CPM S30V
#8 Stretch Super Blue. Sprint
#9 Titanium Delica VG10 Damascus
#10 Tatanka VG10
Just started collecting about 2 years ago...gotta get more Spyder edged blades, only have 2..saver salt, and Atlantic salt....and 2 combo's...Tenacious green G10 sprint,and a Santa Fe Stoneworks Delica.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Pneumothorax wrote:Navigator
Paramilitary II
Perrin PPT
Techno
Breeden Rescue
Remote Release II
Well Brother I find some of these very interesting picks indeed>> especially the Breeden Rescue>> I've yet to get one of those but it's big on my want list and it's also on my "Gotta Have" list as well. The Breeden Rescue like his other great design the C-111 Captain are 2 more models that it just drives me crazy that Spyderco didn't offer these in Spyderedge :confused: Especially the Breeden Rescue because with most all of the other Rescue type blades which are mostly done in Spyderedge it just doesn't make much sense to me that it isn't offered in SE :confused:

Two of my really old school sentimental favorites are the "Remote Release" and the "Snap it" models. Some of the others on your list are really reliable, dependable EDC Spyders for sure. thanks for the top 10 list it is a good one indeed :)