Powerlock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bodog

Powerlock

Post by Bodog »

The best lock design ever or just the best backlock design ever? And is the tatanka the only knife with this feature?
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
tvenuto

Re: Powerlock

Post by tvenuto »

"Perfection is not when there's nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to take away." Paraphrased from Saint-Exupery.

I'm a fan of this quote, so I don't mean to naysay, but if you can get away with less parts, then I like less parts. I love to buy new locks, so definitely interested in a reasonable design with the powerlock to try it for myself. I'll reserve judgement until then. Glad you're liking it, though. I assume you have a Tatanka?
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

No, I don't, the knife is too big for me. Buuuutttt...when I look at it, the design looks phenomenal. I'm soliciting opinions from those with experience with the lock. It is really the first backlock I've been enamored with. It looks, well, like a powerful, reliable lock. If it is available on a smaller knife, I will buy one just to beat on. I can't see a reason why it would fail. Torque? Don't see an issue. Impact? Don't see an issue. Slow loading? Don't see an issue. I'm genuinely curious about it.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Ah I didn't realize. I, for one, like backlocks. They offer a strong and predictable self close, and the lock doesn't engage anything until there's the authoritative snap into position. Liner/RIL/compression locks have something of a "false lock" when the detent ball moves past the blade tang but before it actually engages. It's never been a real issue for me, and I won't shy away from them for this reason, but it's just a point of note.

I haven't found many locks I don't like, really. I don't feel like spyderco would offer a substandard lock, and feel like the lock is bound to fail far after the blade would. I've seen pictures of buckling of the frame lock bar, but I'm rather sure these were failure-tested intentionally.

To me, it seems the benefit of the power lock is to increase your leverage and thus have a lighter feel than would otherwise be possible to disengage the lock. As I said I'd try it on a smaller model, but then there might not be much point in having it there to lighten the feel of something that's already light enough.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Functionally speaking, the Powerlock is no different than other lockbacks that Spyderco has offered, but I've got to say the lockup on my Tatanka (the only Spydie with one, so far) is so solid (not a micron of movement) as to suggest a fixed blade.

How much stronger it really is compared to the other lockbacks (or, indeed, other locks) can't be definitively stated without destructive tests, of course, but, at risk of being called a shill, I'll just say I trust Sal made such tests to back his claims.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

wrdwrght wrote:but, at risk of being called a shill, I'll just say I trust Sal made such tests to back his claims.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Trivial :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'm pretty sure that, as with any lever with a long arm and a short arm, the longer the blade, the greater the force exerted on the lock when you push down on the spine near the tip. A stronger lock makes sense on a knife the size of the Tatanka, and I'm guessing that's what the Powerlock offers in return for its added complexity. Whether that added complexity and attendant cost would be worthwhile on a 3" or 3.5" folder is another matter. Personally, given that I've never had a regular Spyderco midlock fail on me, I wouldn't really want it on knives of the size I carry.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

tvenuto wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:but, at risk of being called a shill, I'll just say I trust Sal made such tests to back his claims.
INCONCEIVABLE!
sal

Post by sal »

The extra part changes the direction of force. Yes we tested it and it tested very well. We do have another design planned for the lock. Smaller model.

sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I would really like to see the PowerLock in a smaller model. That is most excellent news, Sal!
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Hey how about a smaller Tatanka as the next P-Lock.
paladin

Post by paladin »

sal wrote:The extra part changes the direction of force. Yes we tested it and it tested very well. We do have another design planned for the lock. Smaller model.

sal
this is like crack to a lock junkie like me...

Paul often references his knives a functional jewelry...I look at a lot of my Spdercos as functional "toys" for responsible adults...

Heck, I bought a Poliwog just to play with... :o

It is a little dose of therapy for me to open & close it several times when I feel I need to... really, I'm being totally serious... :spyder:

I keep it in my top bureau drawer for that express purpose :D

Back to the subject of the thread, the Tatanka, I've found to be very zen for opening/closing also... :)

I'd describe it as a fluid almost hydraulic deployment with a really ingenious, gently increasing resistance upon closing, thereby helping protect your digits...Nirvana for a lock nerd :cool:
sdedalus83

Post by sdedalus83 »

sal wrote:The extra part changes the direction of force. Yes we tested it and it tested very well. We do have another design planned for the lock. Smaller model.

sal
Hopefully it's the Native Chief. Wink, wink.
I carry a serrated Robin2 at work, a Cara Cara Rescue 2 in the glove box, and a ZDP Dragonfly or Junior everywhere else. My PM2 sits on a shelf with a small assortment of Kershaws.
Waiting patiently for the Native 5 lightweight and the Lil' Temperance 2.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

I just hope whatever it is, that it isn't VG10
All-R-Crazy

Post by All-R-Crazy »

Popsickle wrote:I just hope whatever it is, that it isn't VG10
What's so bad about vg-10 steel I find that its a good steel
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

sal
In many conversations, smaller model is pretty self-explanatory; however, when the term smaller is used in relation to the Tatanka, it leaves much more to the imagination. Can I ask what exactly "smaller" means in this context?
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

sdedalus83 wrote: Hopefully it's the Native Chief. Wink, wink.
Hmm, didn't think about that. I don't think PL would get in the way of the Native series bearing pivot system so I'd like to hear more about this if possible.
Popsickle wrote:I just hope whatever it is, that it isn't VG10
I'd be ok with VG10. Not to undermine your post though as there are many other steels I'd be ok with too :)
ASmitty wrote:
sal wrote:
In many conversations, smaller model is pretty self-explanatory; however, when the term smaller is used in relation to the Tatanka, it leaves much more to the imagination. Can I ask what exactly "smaller" means in this context?
Good point, and that makes the Chief a candidate... Hope we didn't spoil Sal's surprise if it is so hehe.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Just a standalone comment: I don't care what the "in thing" is now, Backlocks will always be well represented in my rotation/collection... So I'm really excited for the PL. I didn't get the Tatanka though because of size.
sal

Post by sal »

Out of curiosity, what Japanaese steel would you replace VG-10 with?

sal