New Ti/Elmax Pingo...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gbelleh

Re: New Ti/Elmax Pingo...

Post by gbelleh »

Well, the helpful bunch we are, we've turned this into a support thread too. Now the OP knows just how easy it would be to remove the offensive adornment, and customize it to his liking.
:bug-red-white
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The gin was last night. It was my friday night. I am off until Saturday. I try not to post when I have had a few. :o

I didn't tape it off but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea. I just avoided sanding the cf as much as I could and the steel wool didn't seem to change the finish on the cf.

I have quite a few different steels wool grits and I think that one was 000 if I remember correctly.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

gbelleh wrote:Well, the helpful bunch we are, we've turned this into a support thread too. Now the OP knows just how easy it would be to remove the offensive adornment, and customize it to his liking.
AND we're better at grammar!

gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

tvenuto wrote:AND we're better at grammar!

It's a win-win-win! :D
:bug-red-white
adairjs

Post by adairjs »

Sounds like one of these, new-in-box, with the logo in tact might be a pretty good investment for a couple of years down the road, after everybody has altered theirs!

Seriously, though, I don't care much for the logo, either, but I've already cheerfully pre-ordered one because the Pingo is a favorite of mine. I may just stick it in the closet and hope for a G10 sprint next year. Can't really say I care for the look of the texture of the FRN on the black & orange models, either. The scales on the Roadie are a big visual improvement over the other N690Co Italian slipits, for my taste.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Personally I kind of like it. Seems like a good gift for any woman because it's purple and about as non tacticool as you can get with a knife. I can see a teenage girl thinking it's cute. Personally, I would like to see the titanium with an engraved deep bluish spyder about the same size and placement of the one on the regular pingo.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Well I'm kind of bummed here. I ordered 4 Ti/Elmax Pingos from KnifeCenter because of their sale, and received them today. All four blades are off center. I only took one out of its plastic wrap (it's not sealed, but folded over), to see if opening and closing would affect it at all. No luck.

I guess I've come to expect a little more attention to detail from Taichung and Golden Sydercos, and my only other Italian Spyderco--a cheapie Pingo--was fine.

I doubt there's any adjustment that will cure this, so I'm not going to even try unless one of you has experience with this.

Sucks, though, especially for a $329.96 MSRP knife, and even at the price I paid per knife.

Going back to KnifeCenter ...
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Sorry to hear that... Don't own that model but have owned 4 Italian made models and all have been centered.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Molle Ninja wrote:Well I'm kind of bummed here. I ordered 4 Ti/Elmax Pingos from KnifeCenter because of their sale, and received them today. All four blades are off center. I only took one out of its plastic wrap (it's not sealed, but folded over), to see if opening and closing would affect it at all. No luck.

I guess I've come to expect a little more attention to detail from Taichung and Golden Sydercos, and my only other Italian Spyderco--a cheapie Pingo--was fine.

I doubt there's any adjustment that will cure this, so I'm not going to even try unless one of you has experience with this.

Sucks, though, especially for a $329.96 MSRP knife, and even at the price I paid per knife.

Going back to KnifeCenter ...
The Pingo sprint is delivered sans threadlocker and in both of mine the screws were all only moderately tight. The "user" worked loose after a yard work session, to the point of the blade flopping side-to-side by an alarming amount... applying blue loctite to each screw in sequence (no disassembly required) and snugging them down corrected the problem and when properly tightened the user squared up nicely, with perfect blade centering.

I also noticed quite a bit of polishing compound around the screw and stanchion heads on both knives as they came out of the box, this was simple to clean out, though it was even easier for me, since I have access to an ultrasonic cleaner... warm water, soap and canned air, plus an old toothbrush and some elbow grease would give the same result.

At $125, a Ti Pingo with Elmax blade is an offer I couldn't refuse, even if it needed a little tuning to be at its best.
Spydergirl88 wrote:Sorry to hear that... Don't own that model but have owned 4 Italian made models and all have been centered.
Really?? what are you waiting for? KC still has 'em on sale for $125! I can't say enough good things about the Ti Pingo, or Elmax.

Plus everyone seems to think all girls like purple... ;)

But seriously, why do colors get gender attributions? and why do so many guys seem to think the bug logo is "cute" or meant to be so? I personally think it's a great looking knife, with a cool logo in a neat color, I'll be sorry when it wears off of my user, which is why I jumped on the KC sale and got a backup.
Last edited by awa54 on Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

David--thanks for giving me hope! If anyone else has a similar experience, please let me know. I really want these to work out!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

awa54 wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:Sorry to hear that... Don't own that model but have owned 4 Italian made models and all have been centered.
Really?? what are you waiting for? KC still has 'em on sale for $125! I can't say enough good things about the Ti Pingo, or Elmax.

Plus everyone seems to think all girls like purple... ;)

But seriously, why do colors get gender attributions? and why do so many guys seem to think the bug logo is "cute" or meant to be so? I personally think it's a great looking knife, with a cool logo in a neat color, I'll be sorry when it wears off of my user, which is why I jumped on the KC sale and got a backup.
I love Elmax, don't get me wrong... The lack of functional Spyderhole scares me off this model. Even had a chance to get the edge matters forum model and said no. At least the roadie has indentations to help with the opening. The whole gender attributions/color thing was a marketing trick invented long ago that is a bunch of huey ;). OP, I hope awa54's advice about the loctite helps you in some way :)
Spydergirl88
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Double tap
Last edited by SG89 on Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spydergirl88
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Spydergirl88 wrote: I love Elmax, don't get me wrong... The lack of functional Spyderhole scares me off this model. Even had a chance to get the edge matters forum model and said no. At least the roadie has indentations to help with the opening. The whole gender attributions/color thing was a marketing trick invented long ago that is a bunch of huey ;). OP, I hope awa54's advice about the loctite helps you in some way :)
I don't own a Roadie, but I think it opens the same way as a Pingo, the reason Pingo doesn't have dimples is because there's enough blade above the handle to easily grip. It's no one-hand opener, but as long as you have two working fingers on your off hand it's easy enough to open... easier than many traditional slipjoints with a nail nick!

The EMPingo is great, though K390 does rust very easily.
-David

Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Thanks Spydergirl88; I'll update the thread when I know more.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Ti Elmax Squeak is also on sale.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I wish the Urban in Elmax was a regular production thing - or a Ti/Elmax Urban would be nice

I like the squeak, but I'd like a LITTLE more blade length
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Well, unfortunately adjusting the pivot didn't help. I guess I'm just not destined to own this Pingo.
:(
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

GarageBoy wrote:I wish the Urban in Elmax was a regular production thing - or a Ti/Elmax Urban would be nice
If the Urban came with Elmax as a regular offering I would have to have one and no exaggeration about it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Molle Ninja wrote:Well, unfortunately adjusting the pivot didn't help. I guess I'm just not destined to own this Pingo.
:(
That's a bummer, it's a great little knife, but I can see a badly off center blade being a serious turn-off in a knife that's supposed to be a high-end version of the type. :(
Doc Dan wrote:
GarageBoy wrote:I wish the Urban in Elmax was a regular production thing - or a Ti/Elmax Urban would be nice
If the Urban came with Elmax as a regular offering I would have to have one and no exaggeration about it.
I managed to chase down a British Blades forum Urban (british green with Elmax), it's a fantastic package! I'll be in line for one the second the Ti version is announced :D
-David

Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Couldn't let this end without a fight. Bought the last 2 ti Pingos from Cutlerly Shoppe, and they are perfect--centered and all.

Happy guy right here.