2015 Forum Knife Poll: Locking or Non-Locking?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

I strongly prefer a non-locking 2015 Forum Knife
4%
I do not have a preference and would be happy with either a locking or non-locking 2015 Forum Knife
26%
I strongly prefer a locking 2015 Forum Knife
69%

Total votes: 91

timlara

Post by timlara »

Here's another question that has come up regarding a possible 2015 Forum Knife: Locking or Non-Locking.

This question came up out of concern that we have many forum members who live in countries where locking knives are prohibited for everyday carry.

This poll is intended to gauge just how many members would strongly prefer a non-locking knife such as a UKPK, Pingo, SpyDK, etc, as some members who live in countries with restrictive knife laws have mentioned in other threads that they would still actually prefer a locking forum knife even though they might not be able to legally carry it.
The Deacon

Re: 2015 Forum Knife Poll: Locking or Non-Locking?

Post by The Deacon »

I have at least one specimen of every Spyderco Forum Knife that has been offered, to date, and will buy any offered in the future. I will do this regardless of whether those knives fit my personal EDC tastes, or would normally be models I'd consider adding to my collection for some other reason. Suitability for use is simply not a consideration for me. So, personally, I don't care whether it's a locking folder or a non-locking folder. For that matter, I'd buy it if it was a fixed blade or a training drone.

OTOH, I know that having a locking folder as the Forum Knife creates two classes of forumites, those who can purchase it, and those who cannot, or at least have to resort to subterfuge to do so. I'm aware that there are those who will elect not to buy a non-locking Forum folder, just as there are those who will elect not to buy one that, for some other reason, fails to meet their personal purchase criteria. But, to me at least, there's a world of difference between electing not to buy something and being faced with a "NO SALES TO _______" edict when you put something in your cart. In truth, my first choice for the 2015 Forum Model would be about as close as you can get to the antithesis of my "normal" taste in Spydercos. It has no choil, a wrong handed lock, and a black blade with a serrated edge. :eek: Problem is, it would also be illegal for Spyderco to sell it to me, and probably to 95% or more of my fellow forumites. :(

So, for that reason and that reason only, my vote goes to non-locking.
Last edited by The Deacon on Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Leeroy37

Post by Leeroy37 »

I would happily buy either this will be my 1st forum knife

LEE
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

voted either, but would prefer UKPK if non locking to Dog Tag
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I strongly favor a lock. The only non locking knife I would be interested in would be the dog tag.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I'm all about inclusivity when it comes to the forum knife, and would hate to think that people are prevented from even owning one by local law. However I was under the impression that most prohibitions were for the public carry, not the ownership, of locking folders.

I'm with Deacon in that I will certainly buy, and probably carry, the forum knife no matter what design Spyderco chooses. So in that regard, I don't care if the forum knife has a lock. My only thoughts against a non-locking forum knife is the rather low number of designs that we would now have to choose from, and how it disqualifies some classics that I would love to see make a comeback.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I agree that being mindful of all countries and areas is important so we don't alienate someone or some group, but I voted Strongly prefer LOCKING.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I'll be happy with whatever Spyderco decides to do. A forum knife isn't about me having my perfect customized knife. Speculation about it, and seeing everyone's input can be fun. But there will never be a consensus.
:bug-red-white
Leeroy37

Post by Leeroy37 »

tvenuto wrote:I'm all about inclusivity when it comes to the forum knife, and would hate to think that people are prevented from even owning one by local law. However I was under the impression that most prohibitions were for the public carry, not the ownership, of locking folders.

I'm with Deacon in that I will certainly buy, and probably carry, the forum knife no matter what design Spyderco chooses. So in that regard, I don't care if the forum knife has a lock. My only thoughts against a non-locking forum knife is the rather low number of designs that we would now have to choose from, and how it disqualifies some classics that I would love to see make a comeback.
That's the case in the UK we can own locking knives but not carry without reason so I can legally carry a ukpk for example without any reason but if I want to carry a locking knife or fixed blade I have to be able to justify my reasons for needed the knife on me at that time.

I know Denmark and some European countries can't edc a oho knife at all but I think they can still own locking knives ?

I think bring back a discontinued one would be a great idea caly 3.5 in a nice steel/handle combo would be nice but I'm in for anything :spyder:

Lee
Last edited by Leeroy37 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
remnar

Post by remnar »

I voted "strongly prefer lock", but it is not a deal breaker.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

remnar wrote:I voted "strongly prefer lock", but it is not a deal breaker.
Same here. Locking is my first choice also, although I'll go with whatever is decided. If non-locking, I'd vote for the DogTag.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Not a deal breaker, but there isn't a non locking knife in the lineup that would push me to buy one just because it's a forum knife. I'm a user, not a collector. It would have to be a real special slipjoint for me to buy non locking.
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

locking knife -- preferably a C22 Michael Walker liner lock. :D
timlara

Post by timlara »

I am also more of a user than a pure collector, so that's why I voted for a locking knife even though I will almost certainly buy any forum knife that is offered, as I am still a "casual" collector of special models and would want to show my support for the forum.
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

timlara wrote:I am also more of a user than a pure collector, so that's why I voted for a locking knife even though I will almost certainly buy any forum knife that is offered, as I am still a "casual" collector of special models and would want to show my support for the forum.
I agree with you on all points.
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

Chris_H wrote:locking knife -- preferably a C22 Michael Walker liner lock. :D
This would be my first choice
I prefer locking, but I am not opposed to non-locking. Although as someone else mentioned; there are not many non-locking knives to choose from unless it wasn't a folding knife.

Think I will vote either but I definitely prefer a locking over non. There has only been 1 non-locking knife that I liked but had to sell; I would have to look to see what model it was. want to say Terzoula
paladin

Post by paladin »

Make mine LOCKING...

The Power Lock is really smooth...

Yup...Tatanka for the Forum knife...for sure
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

I vote "locking" and would suggest that "I do not have a preference" is going to be interpreted as a vote for "non-locking" when the final results are examined.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Strongly prefer locking knife.
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

I went with locking. I think the only knife I'd be interested in that was non locking would be the dog tag. I really like that black/red one that's been floating around in these threads.