2015 Forum Knife Poll: Preferred Blade Length

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Greater than 4" (examples: Police, Tatanka)
No votes
3.75" to 4" (examples: Military, C54 Calypso)
10%
3.5" to 3.75" (examples: Caly3.5, Stretch, Endura)
18%
3" to 3.5" (examples: Caly3, Domino, Manix2, Paramilitary 2)
42%
2.5" to 3" (examples: Delica, Chaparral, Native 5, Sage)
19%
2" to 2.5" (examples: Dragonfly 2, Meerkat, Cat, Dodo)
9%
Less than 2" (examples: Cricket, DogTag, Manbug, Jester)
1%

Total votes: 67

timlara

Post by timlara »

As suggested by multiple people in the other thread discussing options for a possible 2015 Forum Knife, I put together this quick poll to see what blade length most forum members would prefer.

Obviously, this is nothing definitive or official, as Spyderco may not even have time to do a 2015 Forum Knife for all I know, but this is simply a starting point to try to narrow down the huge number of possibilities in Spyderco's vast catalog. Once this poll dies down, maybe someone else can jump in and create another poll for specific models within the most popular ranges suggested. Then, after that we can get down to specifics like color, handle material, and steel.

The models I've listed are just examples that fall within the specific spec ranges - your vote doesn't at all mean that you have to like one of these models. This poll is just to gauge demand for specific blade size.
Evil D

Re: 2015 Forum Knife Poll: Preferred Blade Length

Post by Evil D »

The model means more to me than overall length. If for example they made us a S110V Ladybug (I know, won't happen because of steel origin) I would be in with both feet.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Thanks for setting up these polls Timlara, looks likes we're getting down to business!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I voted for the 3.5" to 3.75" category, but I could easily take the 3" to 3.5" as long as it includes the Caly 3.5"
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

I voted 3.5" to 3.75" as I'd love a Caly 3.5 sprint run...
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

I voted 2-2.5in. range since that is where the C22 MW would fit.
computernut

Post by computernut »

For an EDC, I find 3" a bit too short and anything over 3.5" too long. The Domino (3.13"), PM2 (3.438") and Double Bevel (3.39") are all perfect. It also comes down to the cutting edge length as well as this can vary depending on the choil.
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

Can we vote twice :D
I say this because I'd be happy with something like a Michael Walker to caly3, but would not rule out anything up to 3.5"
timlara

Post by timlara »

I set these up late last night and now that I look at it again, I can see that the 3 to 3.5 and 3.5 to 3.75 split could be kind of confusing...my intent was that the smaller size (3 to 3.5) range would would not include the Caly3.5, so maybe I should have said 3 to 3.4...However, I don't really want to edit the descriptions after people have voted (if I even can?) as that is a slippery slope!

Still, with the few votes that have come in so far, it looks like the "mid size" blades are shaping up to be the most popular choice. In practical use, a Manix2 doesn't really feel appreciably shorter to me than a Stretch. 3.375 isn't much difference from 3.5 in actual use.

(I voted 3.5 - 3.75 since I favor a Caly3.5 as a Forum Knife choice, but in all honesty I would be just as happy to see a Ladybug in a new super steel.)

The way I see it, maybe we could choose a handful of models within the 3 most popular size categories for a later poll. The idea here is just to narrow things down a little bit since Spyderco has so many models available.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I voted 2.5"-3.00" because this is my preferred blade length range. Looks like the next size up is going to get the majority vote, though, which is fine too.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

timlara wrote:I set these up late last night and now that I look at it again, I can see that the 3 to 3.5 and 3.5 to 3.75 split could be kind of confusing...my intent was that the smaller size (3 to 3.5) range would would not include the Caly3.5, so maybe I should have said 3 to 3.4...However, I don't really want to edit the descriptions after people have voted (if I even can?) as that is a slippery slope!

Still, with the few votes that have come in so far, it looks like the "mid size" blades are shaping up to be the most popular choice. In practical use, a Manix2 doesn't really feel appreciably shorter to me than a Stretch. 3.375 isn't much difference from 3.5 in actual use.

(I voted 3.5 - 3.75 since I favor a Caly3.5 as a Forum Knife choice, but in all honesty I would be just as happy to see a Ladybug in a new super steel.)

The way I see it, maybe we could choose a handful of models within the 3 most popular size categories for a later poll. The idea here is just to narrow things down a little bit since Spyderco has so many models available.

I think that a few people have made that mistake.......I voted for the 3 to 3.5" length because the Caly 3.5 literally fits there and I thought that the 3.5" inch length was due to the legal aspect of carry in a lot of jurisdictions. The old Stretch 2 also fits in the legal 3 to 3.5" length and it is only the new version Stretch that pushes it out.

That whole 3.5" point is going to skew this poll into unusability..........I think the poll needs a restart in its still early stages to avoid confusion and have all references to knives pulled out.

New Poll Categories:

Definite Sub 3"
Approx 3"
Approx 3.25 to 3.5 (inclusive)
Greater than 3.5"

No knife models mentioned.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I voted 3.5-3.75
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

SpyderNut wrote:I voted 2.5"-3.00" because this is my preferred blade length range. Looks like the next size up is going to get the majority vote, though, which is fine too.
+1
Just put in my vote for 2.5-3 but next level which is most popular would be ok as well.
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

I voted for 2 to 2.5 since that is my favorite length. I'd easily move up one category, though probably no further. Don't get me wrong that doesn't mean I wouldn't buy a Military Forum, because I would. It's just not to my liking in length and is not allowed by state law. We stop at 3.5 inches in blade length for carrying, so if longer it would be a safe queen.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

I just created a new poll......to add to the confusion :)

Just kidding no confusion intended.........but it was the confusion of this poll at the 3.5" mark that caused me problems and potentially others as well.
No offense intended to Timlara who showed the initiative to start this poll........but that sticking point at 3.5 was driving me nuts - especially since I had voted according to a literal blade length which the descriptions didn't quite match up to in the case of my own vote.
sok

Post by sok »

I voted 3.5 because the Caly 3.5 is my favorite knife. In all actuality, it is the handle length(including choil if applicable) and fit that is the most important for me, blade length next.

I could probably get by with a two inch blade as long as I had a four finger grip. Although, maximizing the blade length to the handle makes the most sense. ;)
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

sok wrote:I voted 3.5 because the Caly 3.5 is my favorite knife. In all actuality, it is the handle length(including choil if applicable) and fit that is the most important for me, blade length next.

I could probably get by with a two inch blade as long as I had a four finger grip. Although, maximizing the blade length to the handle makes the most sense. ;)
That is my point......which 3.5 Category did you vote?
sok

Post by sok »

ManixFan wrote:
sok wrote:I voted 3.5 because the Caly 3.5 is my favorite knife. In all actuality, it is the handle length(including choil if applicable) and fit that is the most important for me, blade length next.

3.5-3.75. Mostly because the Caly 3.5 was specifically mentioned as an example.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Actually I just noticed that this poll has switchable voting.

Perhaps a solution to fixing this poll would be to remove all references to the actual knives and then allow people to switch their votes.

But then it is obvious that the 3"-3.5" category is going to dominate the voting and another poll would be necessary to separate those who want a knife closer to 3" or closer to 3.5".......which are completely different usage knives.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

sok wrote:
ManixFan wrote:

3.5-3.75. Mostly because the Caly 3.5 was specifically mentioned as an example.
But the Caly 3.5 was placed in a Category that includes knives outside the legal carry limit for a lot of Americans..... when in fact it is within the 3.5" limit and the CF version is actually 3.4". This mis-categorization is causing confusion and is literally incorrect and will lead to skewed and unusable poll results. :(

Well the switchable voting works.......my vote for a greater than 4" Forum Tatanka has now been registered :)

I also predict that the 3 most popular size categories will be the 2.5"-3", the 3 to 3.5" and the 3.5 to 3.75" ranges.........I wonder how many knives Spyderco makes in that range......wow, that sure narrowed things down :rolleyes:
Last edited by ManixFan on Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.