Techno, Inbound

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dbcad

Techno, Inbound

Post by dbcad »

I've had an eye on this model for the past couple of years now, ever since it came out. The opportunity came up this holiday and it was time to see what it's all about. CS delivered it to USPS today and it's on it's way :D

There have been quite a few reviews on this model, most are very positive with a few pointing out small details that didn't agree with the reviewer. That's to be expected in this wide open and crazy medium. I was struck that I have yet to see a negative review about the Spyderco Techno.

I've had a chance to play with the XHP steel through the sub $100 KC Native and like it a lot, it keeps a nice edge well and sharpens pretty easily for a steel at about 60~62 Rc. I put a 40° touch up on the Native and don't expect to have to sharpen it for quite some time :D

At one time when I was still pretty inexperienced in good knives I owned about 60 Spydercos. Now it's down to about a dozen including 2 mules, the Caspian, and a Bug in the wallet ;) All of the remaining knives are sub $100. Every one of them is appreciated and cared for. They work well and all are very sharp :D :D A result of excellent blade material and HT and the knowledge gotten from this site.

What's your take on the Techno? Has anyone obtained one recently? You can probably tell I'm suffering from delivery angst :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

Charlie
Leeroy37

Re: Techno, Inbound

Post by Leeroy37 »

I totally love my techno it's one of my favourites :D

Lee
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

It's easily one of my favourites...superb little knife with exceptional fit and finish. If you have extra large hands you might want a lanyard on yours, but I have medium-large hands and I have no problem getting 4 fingers on it. I'm not the only one who loves the Techno either.

All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

I think it is thicker than it needs to be, but is a handy little pocket tank.
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey Charlie,
Congrats on the new Techno!
I've had mine for about a year, and carry it quite often.
It outperforms many other knives in it size category.
Fit and finish is excellent, opens smoothly, and the lockup on mine hasn't moved since I got it.
My only gripe was the deep carry wire clip. The attachment end caused a hot spot in the palm of my hand, and the other end fell right on the lockbar cut. When gripping the knife, that end of the clip slid over and into the cut, which I could feel, and for some reason, bugged the h€ll out of me.
I switched clips with my Manix 2 lightweight, a regular wire clip, thus alleviating the hot spot and clicking problem.
The Techno is now one of my favorites!
Again, congrats on the new knife!
I hope the wait is short.
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I love this LBK.It displaced my small sebenza insigno and this is amazing. When I take it in my hand it puts a smile on my face :)
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

I used my Techno this Christmas to open some zip ties. My dad is a former Marine (I hope I'm saying that correctly- I hear here is no such thing as an "ex-Marine"). Anyway, upon seeing the Techno he said "ooh, looks lethal".

Lethal????????? And here I thought the Techno was fairly people friendly. :)

dbcad, hopefully you like yours as much as I do mine.
762cal

Post by 762cal »

I like the techno too. It is a cute little tank. I dont carry it much, but at home it is my couch knife
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

I've been EDC carrying one since I got it...a year or so. My only negative is when it comes time to cut a hamburger or other thick food. (Hoagies and the like.) But that minor complaint hasn't stopped it from being a constant pocket companion. Lockup still perfect, stays sharp as well as any knife I own, and it is just so satisfying to hold such a stout little knife. Substantial in the hand and minimal in the pocket.

Being of Polish descent, the fact that it was designed by a Polish maker is just icing on the cake. I have plans to get the Slyz Bowie when funds allow.

Grizz
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

You'll love the Techno Charlie! And Grizz, the Slysz Bowie does make a perfect companion to the Techno...

:D. Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Barkdog

Post by Barkdog »

Love mine. This Christmas, it beat out my formerly-reigning package opening champ (a Dragonfly) for pocket/package opening time!

Gotta love how sheeple-friendly it is. And a comment from my stepson (who loves knives but is just getting 'exposed' to options beyond the Delica I gave him) when opening packages: "Oooh, nice knife -- it's so... raw looking." (He meant the stonewashed ti handles - there is a 'rawness' about it, in a good way.)

Side note: I love how the thickness of the handle fills the hand. But I tend to prefer thinner knives in the pocket. My compromise currently is to carry it without the clip! In that configuration, it slips all the more easily into my jeans and 'disappears' a bit more. The clip is great, though -- in my view it works well either way.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Hi dbcat.

You have made the wright choise in this one. the Techno is a superb EDC. :)
I have mine in my pocket every work day of the week since the beginning of september. (In the weekends i give the others a turn because is use them all ;) )
But that little guy is really something special. I have even bought a spare for this one and i normally never do that..
it is facinating how much use you can put out of that little blade and is will keep going and going.

greetings apollo
dbcad

Re: Techno, Inbound, Arrived!!!

Post by dbcad »

I can see jusy why folks have posted the replies they have :) :D The finish is fantastic!! A lot of attention has been paid to detail. The techno also seems to have been designed to absorb a lot of fairly tough use.

The word "tanklike" seems apt, but it also is quite nimble.

This model will be enjoyed for quite some time :eek: :D

I'll have to comment on this model a bit more after I use it for a while :eek: Still taking it in :eek:

Charlie
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Glad you got yours. I think you'll love it. I got one about 3 months ago and except for a few days I've carried it in my RFP which means it's my primary EDC. Since I got into the better knives I've been focusing on STRONG or TOUGH aspects of folding knives. At first it was the lock. I wanted every knife to have the strongest lock available. I now don't worry about that because all of them are good on any decently made knife. But I still have a desire for my pocket knives to be very strong. Anyway, I love the Techno and GB as an EDC pair. The only difference really is blade length. Sometimes I want or need a longer blade and sometimes a longer blade gets in the way. Other than that they are both very strong, hard use folders. I have no fear of coming across a cutting job they can't handle. Even if each knife only uses 10% of it's strength due to my light duty needs most of the time I know they are up to anything I'll come across. That's just reassuring to me. Plus a great stainless blade steel and ti handle makes for a nearly corrosion proof (resistant) knife. Just a little oil once in a while and you're good.

I did have to lower the edge angle on my Techno quite a bit. Out of the box the angle was way too high for me. It was about the same angle as most Spyderco's but with the blade being so thick it made some cutting jobs difficult. The strength of the knife is definitly overkill for my needs but it feels good to know the knife will never be push to the point of breaking. Even with a little abuse. :) Of course lock-up is as solid as they get. I do have a little trouble getting it out of my pocket when clipped so I put a small FOB on it.

Great knife IMO.

Jack