2015 Forum knife request, by popular demand!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Johnnie1801

Re: 2015 Forum knife request, by popular demand!

Post by Johnnie1801 »

As much as I would like a high end knife, I think I would prefer something cost effective, something in region of +/-$100 (remember us international guys have to pay more for shipping, taxes and import duties). The idea of using a low cost handle with a high grade steel appeals to me. I recently got the s110v manix 2 and it's hardly left my pocket, I thought the pinned frn handle would be a bit s#!t (pardon my french) but I'm quite impressed with it, especially the weight and I'd now like to get a lw native.

As has already been mentioned a ukpk with a high end steel would be pretty cool or even another lightweight manix in a different colour and steel. I much prefer locking knives but I think the ukpk would be a great compromise and something almost all Spydiefans would be able to afford and use, wherever they live.

I think if we keep the knife on the cheaper side then it will be less appealing to flippers and more available to genuine Spyderfans.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

PayneTrain wrote:
ohcyclist wrote:As this thread evolves it seems like we may want to start somewhere other than blade length to narrow the field of possible models.
I was thinking this too, as a lot of people are commenting that blade length means nothing to them. While I thought it was a great way to narrow down model choices, maybe there is a better way. Any ideas for different categories that we could vote on? The recently released catalog breaks them down pretty nicely, maybe we could base a poll on that? And obviously add in a category for out of production models.
There has actually been quite a lot of response to the polls regarding both the preferred blade length as well as the expressed wish for a locking blade.

The responses so far indicate a VERY strong preference for the next Forum knife to have a blade length between 3.25" and 3.5" (inclusive).

I am sure that you have also had an opportunity to log your vote on those polls. I am also sorry that the knife that you wish as the next Forum knife doesn't fall within those parameters but legitimate polls were done and are still active if you haven't had a chance to cast your vote. To completely throw out the results of those polls would not be a democratic process and to say that a lot of people are commenting that blade length means nothing to them is a false statement that is not backed by the data that was collected. Some people just don't want to express their opinion in a post but are willing to do so in an anonymous polling context. From the early comments that were posted I thought that the Military would be a strong contender but the poll results indicate that most Forumite really don't want a knife that size as the next Forum knife.

So I would suggest that as a fair and democratic means for all Forumites to move forward in the selection process that we determine exactly what blades fall within the blade length of 3.25" to 3.5" that was overwhelmingly preferred by 50% of forumites as indicated in the poll results as of today with a fairly decent sized sampling at this time of 64 voters. The polling results also indicated that 68% of voters (of a total of 72 at the time of this posting) preferred a knife with a locking blade.

Depending on when the next Forum knife is released, I can think of three obvious potential Forum knives at this time that fit the results of the wishes expressed in the current polls and which have also already been discussed earlier in this thread as potential Forum knives.

These knives would be the; Paramilitary 2, Manix 2 and Caly 3.5. If the Forum knife doesn't materialize until 2016 then perhaps the Shaman might be a possibility as well.

Also, as much as I love the Stretch and am looking forward to seeing the newly redesigned Stretch with deeper choil, the specs that I've seen on the redesign puts it just a touch over the 3.5" limit - which could be a problem with a lot of people for EDC'ing such a knife due to the legalities in their jurisdiction. So unless there is an overwhelming outpouring of support for a redesigned Stretch as a Forum knife then I would suggest that we be very happy with the impending release of the G10 version perhaps followed up by a buffed CF sprint as Sal has suggested as a possibility in the past.

Although the PM2, Manix 2 and Caly 3.5 are all well loved Spyderco's there is also the potential that some or even all of these knives may be unsuitable as a Forum knife purely from the standpoint of the logistics involved in fitting a Forum knife into the scheduled production slots. I am thinking that Forumites would rather see a new Forum knife in 2015, or early 2016 rather than waiting until 2017.

So at this time I would suggest that we try to come up with any other potential knives besides the PM2, Manix 2 or Caly 3.5 that may fit the expressed desires of Spyderco Forumites and then put the question to Spyderco as to which of these models are doable as the next Forum knife. If only one of them works as a potential Forum knife then there is no point in voting for something that could be vetoed by Spyderco after the fact. If all of them are acceptable choices then a further poll could be set up to pinpoint the model voted for by the most Forumites.

Once a model is determined then I would suggest that an additional poll be set up to determine steel choice and then finally colour ......in that order, since a preferred steel choice might then be in conflict with an a preferred scale colour since I don't believe that Spyderco would be wanting to basically repeat a previous Sprint model with respect to steel and scale colour.

So......can anybody think of any other knives that fit the criteria desired by the majority of Forumite (as indicated by the current polls) besides the PM2, Manix 2, Caly 3.5 and potentially the Shaman?

Also, some feedback from Spyderco on whether any of these knives would be acceptable as a Forum knife would be helpful. After all if Sal doesn't feel a knife is suitable or can't be fit into the production schedule in a timely manner to be considered as the next Forum knife then we have to move down the list and if all knives in the preferred blade length category are not supported as a Forum knife by Spyderco then we will just have to re-poll so that all those that voted for this category can redistribute their preference to the remaining blade length categories........which I would believe from the current polling to fall in the approx 3" length category.

Once again, the poll results indicate a very strong preference for a locking blade in the 3.25" to 3.5" (inclusive) blade length.

Thoughts anyone?
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

ManixFan wrote:
There has actually been quite a lot of response to the polls regarding both the preferred blade length as well as the expressed wish for a locking blade.

The responses so far indicate a VERY strong preference for the next Forum knife to have a blade length between 3.25" and 3.5" (inclusive).

I am sure that you have also had an opportunity to log your vote on those polls. I am also sorry that the knife that you wish as the next Forum knife doesn't fall within those parameters but legitimate polls were done and are still active if you haven't had a chance to cast your vote.
Whoa whoa hold on now. That's not what I was getting at. I voted with the majority in both polls, and at first I too thought blade length was the best way to narrow down the choices. But there were a few comments about blade length not being a very important factor and thought maybe there was another way to narrow things down and wind up with a finals list that more people might be interested in. I'm not trying to further my candidate by changing the voting. In fact I've shown the most interest in the Caly 3.5 idea, and that's still very much alive. I'm just spitballing ideas based on what I'm reading so far. No need to get all bold and colorful on me :p .

But seriously, I understand it may seem silly to disregard the polls after gathering a decent sample and if everyone's cool with narrowing down by length, then I am too. I was just suggesting that for the people who mentioned they didn't care about length. And yes, there were people who said length meant nothing compared to the model. Length really means nothing to me, and I still voted. I just thought maybe instead, we could vote on a category like "gentleman's knives" that would have a range of different lengths. Though I guess in the end the same thing would result, it's just whether we vote on these factors now or later. It was just an idea, I didn't say it was a good one. And what's more democratic than expressing opinions on how we should vote!

Again, not trying to confound things. This is my first time doing something like this, and I'm just trying to contribute what I can because I love this forum and I wanna be a part of it. I'm really just waiting for the handle choices, cuz that's all I'm really looking forward to regardless of the model. Something unique that will stand out from the rest of my knives, cuz a forum knife ought to be special.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Also, the Domino and Southard are within the range, though I'd imagine they'd wind up prohibitively expensive. Oh, and then there's the Superhawk.:D

Edit: Terzuola? Never held one, but looks like a nice platform.
Last edited by PayneTrain on Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

PayneTrain wrote:
ManixFan wrote:

I am sure that you have also had an opportunity to log your vote on those polls. I am also sorry that the knife that you wish as the next Forum knife doesn't fall within those parameters but legitimate polls were done and are still active if you haven't had a chance to cast your vote.
Whoa whoa hold on now. That's not what I was getting at. I voted with the majority in both polls, and at first I too thought blade length was the best way to narrow down the choices. But there were a few comments about blade length not being a very important factor and thought maybe there was another way to narrow things down and wind up with a finals list that more people might be interested in. I'm not trying to further my candidate by changing the voting. In fact I've shown the most interest in the Caly 3.5 idea, and that's still very much alive. I'm just spitballing ideas based on what I'm reading so far. No need to get all bold and colorful on me :p .

But seriously, I understand it may seem silly to disregard the polls after gathering a decent sample and if everyone's cool with narrowing down by length, then I am too. I was just suggesting that for the people who mentioned they didn't care about length. And yes, there were people who said length meant nothing compared to the model. Length really means nothing to me, and I still voted. I just thought maybe instead, we could vote on a category like "gentleman's knives" that would have a range of different lengths. Though I guess in the end the same thing would result, it's just whether we vote on these factors now or later. It was just an idea, I didn't say it was a good one. And what's more democratic than expressing opinions on how we should vote!

Again, not trying to confound things. This is my first time doing something like this, and I'm just trying to contribute what I can because I love this forum and I wanna be a part of it. I'm really just waiting for the handle choices, cuz that's all I'm really looking forward to regardless of the model. Something unique that will stand out from the rest of my knives, cuz a forum knife ought to be special.
I would kind of agree with Paynetrain here. A lot of folks dont seem to be too concerned with blade length. For example, I voted with the masses but if a knife idea with other good d characteristics came up outside of that range I would be all for it. 3.25-3.5" is just a general size range that I happen to like. Not the be all, end all qualification.

Having said that though, it's obviously going to be impossible to choose a knife that everyone loves no matter what polling criteria we use. The best outcome would be to come up with one that almost everyone loves...so let's just ask for a pm2 and stick a fork in it. :) Seriously, the pm2 has the credentials and the pedigree to be the next forum knife. Preferred blade length, popular design, in house lock, "iconic" Spyderco, and it was designed by both Sal and Eric. I love some of Spydercos collaborations but personally I would want one of Sal and Eric's designs for a forum knife.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

A CruWear PM2 would have the potential to become quite possibly my favourite knife of all time. If not the Millie, my second choice would definitely by a CruWear PM2.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I'd be totally into the Millie. No interest at all in a Para.
On the hunt for...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I agree with Gringo completely and will echo it. I am more concerned with the model than the size myself.

If not the Para2 then the Caly 3.5.

I just worry about a crazed frenzy and the Caly3.5 might not be as insane as a Para2.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

PayneTrain wrote:Also, the Domino and Southard are within the range, though I'd imagine they'd wind up prohibitively expensive. Oh, and then there's the Superhawk.:D
Sorry .....didn't mean to get all bold and colourful on you......although some of my good friends might describe me in exactly such a manner :p

I was a little apprehensive though after seeing some of the recent posts that took place after the direction of the polling became very clear. Some people with their hearts on a Forum Military may be disappointed with the direction that the majority of Forumites want to take as expressed through the results of the poll. You can't always get exactly what you want .......and everybody has their own idea of their dream Spyderco.

I myself would love to have a stretched Stretch (3.75" blade) with the new choil mod........ but doubt that it will appear. I was also a little disappointed by the choice of scale colour for the new upcoming Stretch and am still sulking a bit over that.........but in the end will probably pick one up and get someone skilled to replace the scales with contoured Desert Ironwood or a dyed stabilized burl of some sort. I'm sure such a mod would put that as one as my most prized and favoured Spyderco.......which might not have occurred without the original impetus to modify the scales.

Anyways, I am happy to see that you agree that the polling should be respected.......and also happy to hear of your vote for a Forum Caly 3.5 :D

I have no objection to including a Domino since it is so close to that range as well as the Southard which fits perfectly within the range as well (didn't think of that one) ...........but I also share your concerns over cost. But I am sure that this will come across in any future poll as well......so no worries there. If everyone wants a Southard Forum knife and Sal says its possible ......then I will probably pick up my first Southard......or at least strongly consider it. But the current price tag is what kept me away from it in the first place, so I certainly wouldn't be voting for it in any future poll.

Anyways, thanks for the input and for forgiving my colourful response :D
Last edited by ManixFan on Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leeroy37

Post by Leeroy37 »

Another vote for pm2 or caly 3.5

Lee
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

ManixFan wrote: Anyways, thanks for the input and for forgiving my colourful response :D
Haha no worries, I totally understand. But as to the flippers, I'm hearing Jonnie up there about cost and I think he's right. I think the Caly offers a decent price, though I guess it would depend on what we do to it. Sprint PM2's aren't too pricey either. Just for reference, what did the 2013 Native cost? Anyone know?

Edit: And OMG, did you say wood scales? Can we PLEASE pick a model get to the handle voting already?! :eek:
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Surfingringo wrote:
PayneTrain wrote:
ManixFan wrote:

I would kind of agree with Paynetrain here. A lot of folks dont seem to be too concerned with blade length. For example, I voted with the masses but if a knife idea with other good d characteristics came up outside of that range I would be all for it. 3.25-3.5" is just a general size range that I happen to like. Not the be all, end all qualification.

Having said that though, it's obviously going to be impossible to choose a knife that everyone loves no matter what polling criteria we use. The best outcome would be to come up with one that almost everyone loves...so let's just ask for a pm2 and stick a fork in it. :) Seriously, the pm2 has the credentials and the pedigree to be the next forum knife. Preferred blade length, popular design, in house lock, "iconic" Spyderco, and it was designed by both Sal and Eric. I love some of Spydercos collaborations but personally I would want one of Sal and Eric's designs for a forum knife.
Had to laugh out loud at the huge PM2 shameless plugging :) ;)

I actually don't yet have either the PM2 or a Caly 3.5 .....although I will probably pick up a now discontinued G10 Caly 3.5 as I've had my eye on that one for a while and it looks like it will fill a niche for me. The PM2 is a nice blade but I think I like that Manix 2 better.......although I suspect that the PM2 would beat out the Manix 2 in a vote - although I may be surprised too.

In any case, if the Forum knife ends up being a Cruwear PM2 ........I will pick one up and be very happy with it.......although I think that such a model will arrive in any case and that the chances at getting a G10 Caly 3.5 in perhaps HAP40 or the other Hitachi M4-like equivalent would be much less likely in the future. So that is one reason that I am partial to a G10 Caly 3.5 Forum knife as I don't think such a sprint would arise in the future with as much likelihood as the Cruwear PM2. Perhaps this combination is already slotted in as a sprint or exclusive at Spyderco and we just don't know about it yet.

In any case, I would be happy with any of the obvious choices as the next Forum knife (PM2, Manix 2, Caly 3.5) and perhaps even the Domino or Shaman if that is a possibility. I love my Native 5's and the thought of a slightly bigger version is very exciting!

But a large thin Caly 3.5 blade in a high HRC HAP 40 with 10-12 dps primary and 15 degree secondary bevel would be one laserlike, slicing savant of a knife :D

Paynetrain: Just saw your post when trying to post this and the wood scales that I'm mentioning would be my aftermarket "fix" for the brown scales of the new forthcoming Stretch as I don't like brown. I doubt that something like this would be a realistic choice that Spyderco could accomodate for a Forum knife....... :D
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

ManixFan wrote: Paynetrain: Just saw your post when trying to post this and the wood scales that I'm mentioning would be my aftermarket "fix" for the brown scales of the new forthcoming Stretch as I don't like brown. I doubt that something like this would be a realistic choice that Spyderco could accomodate for a Forum knife....... :D
Maybe if we beg hard enough?

But anyway, I just had an epiphany (and I spelled it right on the first try). Guys...FOUNDRY! Eh? Anyone? Just me? 3.31" blade!

Ok I need a break from all this. I'm going to walk my dog.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Pays to keep in mind that, because the makers there require a 1200 piece minimum order from Spyderco, the chances of a Japanese knife being the Forum knife are slim, unless the Forum knives are just part of a larger batch of identical knives and distinguished only by the Forum Knife marking added in Golden. Not sure if the makers in Taiwan and Italy have similar minimums or not, but I suspect that they do.

I also have to wonder why people think that Spyderedge on a Spyderco Forum Knife would make the flippers ignore it?

The way I see it, flippers buy things that have a high probability of increasing in value. Spyderco Forum Knives increase in value because they are Spyderco Forum Knives, not because of steel, edge, scale material, or color. There were numerous complaints about flipping the 2009 Forum Native Lightweight, which was "plain old S30V" in a purple FRN handle.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bearfacedkiller

It would be nice to know if we need to focus on certain factories or not. That might really help us narrow it down a bit.

Sal?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ManixFan

Suggested list of Spyderco's meeting the polled criteria

Post by ManixFan »

bearfacedkiller wrote:It would be nice to know if we need to focus on certain factories or not. That might really help us narrow it down a bit.

Sal?
Yes, that would be helpful.

I think right now the choices that fit the wishes expressed in the polling would be the:

PM2
Manix 2
Caly 3.5
Foundry
Domino
Southard
Stretch
Spyderco R (solid blade & handle......unless there is an outpouring of sentiment for skeletonized version)
Superhawk
Superleaf
Persian
Shaman ? (Depending on when the next Forum knife comes out)

I'm not sure if most would want the Stretch 2 since the Stretch 3 is coming out soon and there has also been some concern that a Southard would be too pricey. I'm not sure what the Forum knife run quantity would be at but there are many sprints of 800 and 1200 that sell out very quickly if they are highly desirable. A Forum knife is a sprint of a sort and some of the possibilities I'm sure would be extremely desirable and easily sell that quantity. I'm not sure what the size of the 2013 Forum knife run was but I do remember that quite a few people were disappointed in not getting one at the time. This would have been made even far worse if Spyderco had not followed up with the S110v CF Native 5 limited production knife.

But I do think a HAP40 or Hitachi XVC11 Japanese Forum knife would be a highly desired sprint and a K390 or CruWear PM2 or K390 Manix 2 would also have incredibly high demand I am guessing as well. Perhaps LC200 might also be a possibilty that people might like to see as well?

But future polling and more importantly, Sal's response to the realistic possibility of any of these models turning up as a Forum knife knife will provide much illumination. :)

If anybody can think of any other knives in the upper range of the medium sized folder class (3 1/4" to 3 1/2" inclusive) then please make your suggestions and hopefully Sal can help us further in narrowing the choices down. Or, perhaps he is purposely staying silent for a little while longer and is getting a kick out of watching the process unfold? :p

Later Edit: After the Superhawk was added, I thought of the Superleaf......although the Manix 2 seems to have supplanted that model .......as well as the Persian which also fits the criteria. I don't know if any of these are desired Forum knives or are even possible but I've added them anyways for now.
Last edited by ManixFan on Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:30 pm, edited 8 times in total.
bearfacedkiller

I am going to be alone on this but I would be interested in a "r" model.

Dark green checkered g10 with zdp please. :D
-Darby
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

ManixFan wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
PayneTrain wrote:
ManixFan wrote:

Had to laugh out loud at the huge PM2 shameless plugging :) ;)

I actually don't yet have either the PM2 or a Caly 3.5 .....although I will probably pick up a now discontinued G10 Caly 3.5 as I've had my eye on that one for a while and it looks like it will fill a niche for me. The PM2 is a nice blade but I think I like that Manix 2 better.......although I suspect that the PM2 would beat out the Manix 2 in a vote - although I may be surprised too.

In any case, if the Forum knife ends up being a Cruwear PM2 ........I will pick one up and be very happy with it.......although I think that such a model will arrive in any case and that the chances at getting a G10 Caly 3.5 in perhaps HAP40 or the other Hitachi M4-like equivalent would be much less likely in the future. So that is one reason that I am partial to a G10 Caly 3.5 Forum knife as I don't think such a sprint would arise in the future with as much likelihood as the Cruwear PM2. Perhaps this combination is already slotted in as a sprint or exclusive at Spyderco and we just don't know about it yet.

In any case, I would be happy with any of the obvious choices as the next Forum knife (PM2, Manix 2, Caly 3.5) and perhaps even the Domino or Shaman if that is a possibility. I love my Native 5's and the thought of a slightly bigger version is very exciting!

But a large thin Caly 3.5 blade in a high HRC HAP 40 with 10-12 dps primary and 15 degree secondary bevel would be one laserlike, slicing savant of a knife :D

Paynetrain: Just saw your post when trying to post this and the wood scales that I'm mentioning would be my aftermarket "fix" for the brown scales of the new forthcoming Stretch as I don't like brown. I doubt that something like this would be a realistic choice that Spyderco could accomodate for a Forum knife....... :D
Shameless plugging?? Harrumph, I have no idea what you are talking about sir!! I'm just trying to make everyone else happy!! Guess that's one of my character flaws...I'm always thinking about others! :rolleyes: :cool:
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I am going to be alone on this but I would be interested in a "r" model.

Dark green checkered g10 with zdp please. :D
Another one that I forgot about ......adn I have no excuse since I own a Nishijin R. :o

I would assume that you are talking about a solid ZDP blade as well as the solid scales? :D
Those skeletonized blades are great art pieces to look at but I shudder at thinking of using any as an EDC with all the extra maintenance and cleaning involved. :(

I have added it to the list above as an option.......after all the blade shape is pretty much in between a Manix 2 and PM2 in size and shape I think .......except in a lockback version.

I suspect that it won't garner as much votes as the PM2, Manix 2 or Caly 3.5 ....... which I would also suspect to be the top contenders. But it is also a very nice choice and if Sal lets us know that for some reason or another the PM2 or Manix2 aren't likely to work (logistically speaking).......then it provides an attractive alternative to the Caly 3.5 for those that really prefer something else.

I am thinking that the polling for a model should be an adjustable vote so that people can try out voting for the model of their heart's desire initially, but then if they really don't like where the vote is heading then later vote strategically rather than split their vote on something that has no chance and then later regret it when a choice is made that they really don't want .......rather than what they might be willing to compromise on.

However, with the models that are listed, I really don't think any of them would be a bad choice for a Forum knife. :D
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

If there's a Forum knife, great, I'll buy one. If not, fine. I guess I'm kind of easy to please. :D ;)