Review and photoshoot of the Spyderco Lil' Lionspy

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GoldenSpydie

Review and photoshoot of the Spyderco Lil' Lionspy

Post by GoldenSpydie »

One of Spyderco's newest releases, the C181GTIP Lil' Lionspy, arrived on my doorstep today. It is a unique and eccentric little folder--very stout with features that we don't see on many other Spydies. This folder is a downsized version of Spyderco's first collaboration with Lionsteel of Italy, the Lionspy. At this time, the Lil' Lionspy can be found for about $225.

Like it's big brother (which was just discontinued), the Lil' Lionspy features a thick blade made from Elmax, a textured G10 scale, a textured titanium framelock with Rotoblock, and a deep carry pocket clip. It has an awesome blade to handle ratio of 75%, compared to the PM2, at 57%.

Specs:

Blade length: 3.115 inches
Sharpened edge: 3.01 inches
Blade height at Spyder hole: 1.465 inches
Blade thickness: 0.156 inches
Blade thickness behind the edge: 0.034 inches
Handle length: 4.155 inches
Weight: 3.875 ounces, which is exactly the same as my Elmax PM2

Here are a few details that stood out:

Lock: It has a titanium RIL as the main locking device. The Rotoblock is a device that is patented by Lionsteel and consists of a titanium disk that can be rotated to keep the framelock from closing. The lockbar has a removable steel insert for reduced wear and improved serviceability.

Clip: The clip is a typical Spyderco spoon shape, but it attaches to the end of the knife and is thus deep carry by default.

Hardware: The hardware is all torx adjustable except for the clip screw. Spyderco includes a tool to remove the clip screw and adjust the pivot via the holes, although the pivot is also adjustable with a T8 torx.

Ergonomics: At least for me, the ergos are just right. It might benefit some users to have a slightly longer handle, but the short handle makes it excel as a compact pocket folder. The large bump over the Spyder hole make for a very secure thumb ramp, or it is easy to slide forward and place your thumb in front of the hump for extra control over the blade.

It is a very refined, elegant, and yet powerful folder and I can't wait to put it to use. The textured G10 and ti is a really nice addition.

Obviously, this is my first day with the Lil' Lionspy, so more time will make for a more comprehensive review. Look for Prt. 2 in early January.

Enough text, how about some pics? ;) :D

Comparison picture with an Elmax PM2 and a Sage 4:

Last edited by GoldenSpydie on Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dogrunner

Re: Review and photoshoot of the Spyderco Lil' Lionspy: Prt.

Post by dogrunner »

Thanks - Great pics and comments.
I'm looking forward to some in-use reports.
I just received mine today but still want to know what others experience.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Thanks for the pics and review. Great pics. :)

The 4+3=7 handle, blade and overall length setup has always been a terrific size for me and makes this knife very appealing to me.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Excellent write up and pictures. I always found my full size LionSpy to be a bit too big, so the Lil' should correct my only complaints with the original. I'm looking forward to reading part 2 of your review.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Last edited by GoldenSpydie on Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

I'll add a few additional initial impressions after handling mine for a day.
1. Very comfortable handle - but I have small hands and for the large-handed folks a bit more length might be preferred - it's a handle shape thing as much as a length thing. Grip is nice and secure though.
2. LOVE the texturing on the scales. Lion Steel is really good at this!
3. Great cutter and love the beefy blade! Inspires confidence in its ability to handle more forceful cutting tasks.
4. Definitely high marks for ease of carry. This knife is surprisingly light for what is visually a stocky looking tool.

It's a keeper, I believe :)
Last edited by dogrunner on Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Def into this one more than the big brother, but I can't help but think that the blade shape wouldn't work quite as well for me. I'd be in if it were more of a dropped point, but the very upswept tip gives me pause.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

tvenuto wrote:Def into this one more than the big brother, but I can't help but think that the blade shape wouldn't work quite as well for me. I'd be in if it were more of a dropped point, but the very upswept tip gives me pause.
That was my reservation with the big Lion Spy (and Lion Steel in general). But the shape works great in a slicing/cutting blade without as much concern about puncturing or catching with the blade tip the item you are cutting. I carry a PM2 or Millie for the fine tip, but the Lion Spys are definitely not for jobs requiring piercing or drilling action.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Can anyone chime in on why the lock bar cutouts seem to be getting bigger and bigger? If youve seen the kershaw tilt you know how thin a lockbar is capable of being cut, just wondering why the variations. I personally prefer the look of a less gaping cutout.
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Seems like a solid value. If only I really needed another 3"+ knife ....
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Thanks everyone!

I have been carrying it constantly, usually with the Dyad Jr. as a companion blade. The tip could be a little thinner, but it has worked for what I need. The extremely acute tip on the Dyad Jr. compliments the thick, beefy nature of the Lil' Lionspy. Lockup is great at about 40%. My only complaint is that the detent could be a little stronger to make it easier to flick, although it is not really necessary.

The edge is a slight convex but it touches up easily on the Sharpmaker or a UF benchstone.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

More pictures.

Framelocks (left to right: Thermite, sm Sebenza, Lil' Lionspy, Foundry, Leafstorm)

Lil' Lionspy, sm Seb, Leafstorm and sharpening stones
Last edited by GoldenSpydie on Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drew78

Post by Drew78 »

Great pics and initial writeup!

2 questions if you don't mind. ..

What is the pivot construction/make up?

Is there a liner under the g10 side?

Thanks

Drew
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Awesome work GS! This thread has been a powerful sales pitch for me to pick one of these up soon! Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Thanks guys!

Drew: There is no liner on the G10 side. I'm not sure what you mean by pivot construction...?

Here are a few internal pictures. The Lil' Lionspy is a little tricky to take apart, but it goes back together easily enough. I polished the blade tang with some 1500 grit sandpaper, and I used red buffing compound on the pivot assembly. Combined with a little oil, it is now really smooth! It is the first Spyderco that I have been aware of that has white teflon washers--interesting.

Last edited by GoldenSpydie on Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drew78

Post by Drew78 »

That's GS! That answered all my questions. I wonder why no liner, that puts me off a bit i think. On the pivot i was looking to see what washers it was on. I agree that it is a bit of a departure to use the Teflon washers. I was figuring they would be bronze phosphoruphosphor. Thanks again!
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

FWIW the Lum Tanto Folder sprint of a couple years ago used PTFE washers as I recall.

Also, while I have no idea what they come with now, my Resilience came with one white washer which I assumed (based on feel) was PTFE. Could be wrong though.

Not nitpicking, just trying to add information. :)

Great pics BTW.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I wouldn't be too disappointed in those washers, whatever they are. Lionsteel uses the same ones in the original SR2, almost a $400 knife (I paid SIGNIFICANTLY less for mine), and gosh it is so smooth Taichung better be shaking in their boots. I don't really know anything about the different kinds of washers, but whatever these are I think they are the right choice.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I have the full-size and want the Lil' although I wish these were ground a bit thinner.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

PayneTrain wrote:I wouldn't be too disappointed in those washers, whatever they are. Lionsteel uses the same ones in the original SR2, almost a $400 knife (I paid SIGNIFICANTLY less for mine), and gosh it is so smooth Taichung better be shaking in their boots. I don't really know anything about the different kinds of washers, but whatever these are I think they are the right choice.
Oh I agree--I was just surprised, not disappointed. The action is indeed really smooth! :)