What is your little big knife preference?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Japan or Taiwan for LBK?

Japan: Ladybug, Manbug, Dragonfly, etc.
52%
Taiwan: Chaparral, Techno, Chubby, Air, etc.
35%
Golden: Dodo, Leaf Storm
6%
Italy: Pingo, Squeak
5%
China: Ambitious, Persistence, Clipitool, BugSet
1%

Total votes: 141

Lebowski22

Re: What is your little big knife preference?

Post by Lebowski22 »

wrdwrght wrote:Have to go with Taiwan because of the Techno. Can't think of a Spydie that is so big in so little a package.

Agree 100%. Even though I edc a Military most days, I am completely blown away by the Techno and fall in love with it all over again each time it makes it's way back into my pocket.

Also, as a previous poster mentioned. When you EDC a Millie, most other knives are LBK.

Only issue I have with the Techno is stopping myself from constantly taking it out of my pocket and flicking it open in otherwise inhospitable environments for openly displaying blades.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Lebowski22 wrote: Only issue I have with the Techno is stopping myself from constantly taking it out of my pocket and flicking it open in otherwise inhospitable environments for openly displaying blades.
+1 on that ! :D I must say sometimes i also do that with my Pm2 but then the faces go from scared to almost screaming run for youre lives... :o :D
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

It was hard to decide on this because of the confusion about which knives are LBKs. If I go by time carried, it would have to be the Dragonfly and Japan... but if the Dice qualifies as an LBK at 4.05 inches closed and 3.7oz, then the Caly 3 certainly qualifies at 4.05 inches closed and only 3.0oz. So with these criteria, the Caly 3 would definitely be a shoo in for me...... now I see that the OP didn't include the Dice, though some voters mentioned it, but he did mention the Chubby, which is 3.7 inches closed and weighs in at over 4oz. If it qualifies, I think the Caly does too.

I have personally thought of the Caly 3 (and especially the 3.5) as a "REAL SOME KIND OF A" little big knife, so I'll go with it and go back and vote for the Japanese selection :) -- oops the site's down right now, so I'll vote as soon as it's back up.

In the meantime, honorable mention goes to the REAL little-bitty-big-knife I'm pining for now, the foliage green G-10 Urban, and also the black FRN Squeak -- which I just ordered after reading a review of it at Mr. Blonde's Spydercollector site. I was already pretty well sold on the Squeak, but when I found out it was the basically the "cockpit" section of the UKPK/Caly design, that cinched it!!! (And for $43.25 you can't go too far wrong ;) )

I'm also keeping an eye out for deals on a Cricket, Spin, or Jester... so it looks like my fave LBKs right now are coming mainly from Japan, with a nod toward Italy (Squeak).

BTW, I don't think the OP was implying that we would be choosing by country based on ideas of quality of construction. I think he was just using country of origin as a way to organize the knives and make it possible to consider dozens of models in one poll ;)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Such an awesome category of knives! But, a little vague I think...

Love my Lava Sprints a LOT!
Along with Techno, DF2 G10, and Jester...
As much as I dig the Dodo, I don't really see it fitting this category though, nor the Dice.
Ladyhawk H1 is a super respectable little cutter too! Just got one and threw it on a keychain!

One of those CF Balances might be cool too... and a Spin, but I haven't held either yet...
Going back to Caly.
1965ford

Post by 1965ford »

kbuzbee wrote:
TomAiello wrote:Dragonfly. For the design, not the country.
Same logic (for me - and I suspect most) It's the knife, not the country.

In my case, the CF Balance. I just love that little knife. Cuts WAY above it's weight class.

Ken
Have a CF Balance in my pocket right now! Love that little knife.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

1965ford wrote:
kbuzbee wrote:
TomAiello wrote:Dragonfly. For the design, not the country.
Same logic (for me - and I suspect most) It's the knife, not the country.

In my case, the CF Balance. I just love that little knife. Cuts WAY above it's weight class.

Ken
Have a CF Balance in my pocket right now! Love that little knife.

Nice! Post up some photos of it if you get a chance!
Do you happen to have a Lava also, maybe you could do a size comparison photo together? Thanks.
Going back to Caly.
Holland

Post by Holland »

I voted dragonfly at the start cause the techno has way to thick of a blade for my liking. I sent it to big chris (along with a couple other knives) to get reground to 2.5ish mm per side. Should be a slicing machine when i get it back :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
1965ford

Post by 1965ford »

don't have a lava to do any comparison pictures with.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Holland wrote:I voted dragonfly at the start cause the techno has way to thick of a blade for my liking. I sent it to big chris (along with a couple other knives) to get reground to 2.5ish mm per side. Should be a slicing machine when i get it back :D
I was wondering what you did with that thing since I hadn't seen any pics of it. Can't wait to see pics when you get it back Holland.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Techno and C22 Michael Walker in CF so Taiwan and Japan..
swigert

Post by swigert »

I'll ring in again. The techno really is a great LBK. Fit and finish rival the best of them.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Swick.
spydieh0le

Post by spydieh0le »

Techno, Salsa, SE Ladybug. Maybe I'll pick up a dragonfly one of these days.
61 Spydies and Counting.

Official Manix Addict :spyder: :
s110v LW,S110v Franken Manix Green G10 Putnam Scales, DLC HG S30v PE,Cruwear(2x), 80mm Lockback,HG S30v Full SE, Tan M4,Foliage Green CTS-XHP,Burgundy CTS-BD30P Franken Sprint ,Moonglow,XHP LW,Maxamelt LW

Hunting the Elusive s90v CF Manix 2 Sprint Run
Jagged77

Post by Jagged77 »

For me it's the Roadie, awesome little knife. However as far as the options on the vote go it's a toss up between the Ladybug & Dragonfly or the Pingo....
Holland

Post by Holland »

wrdwrght wrote:Have to go with Taiwan because of the Techno. Can't think of a Spydie that is so big in so little a package.
Figured I would post some comparison shots for fun:

Chaparral is king imo
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
BTG

Post by BTG »

I don't own a Tecno, but I'd like to see a side by side with my favorite LBK, the lil lionspy..just visually without comparing numbers they seem fairly similar..
Ruarch

Post by Ruarch »

twinboysdad wrote:I recently crowned a king for my LBK stable, the H1 SE Dfly. It can stand alone as an EDC for me
/100% agree

H1 SE DF is a beast
Bacon. Sometimes beer, but mostly bacon. I like Spydercos.
SpyderNation member #0621

Recently acquired: M390 PM2

On deck: KW Ti Military Exclusive, Slysz Bowie, S90V/CPM154 Manix 2, RN Chap

WRU SHAMAN!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I recently bought a second Manbug, this time in Super Blue. These are great little knives, aren't they?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Holland wrote:
Figured I would post some comparison shots for fun:

Chaparral is king imo
Why is the Chap king? How does the Techno fit the hand? Is it as good as the Chaparral?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

I only seem to carry the DF2 Se h1, Cat or the Manbug super blue in my pocket. Enuff leaf point in the back pack. They all seem to qualify as LBKs