I will now EDC only SE for 6 months.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

I will now EDC only SE for 6 months.

Post by Evil D »

The time has come to throw down a challenge to all you SE doubters. I feel I have learned enough about sharpening serrations and have my own technique down to where I can push cut phone book paper with each serration, so the whole "it's harder to sharpen" excuse is now no longer an excuse. I have 4 knives to choose from; a SE Military, SE Stretch 2, SE Native lightweight, and SE H1 hawkbill Ladybug. I may also look into acquiring a H1 SE Dragonfly (since I personally tout it as being the best SE knife you can get from Spyderco due to the thinner blade stock, H1 steel, and higher than usual hollow grind).

I will however carry a PE ZDP Ladybug on my keys, just in case I need to perform emergency surgery or something (lol). That knife is always on my keys anyway and is kept razor sharp. It is mostly used to pick my nails and to use around NKP.

I believe I'm gonna start out with the Military and see how that goes. If I get around to picking up the Dragonfly, I'm expecting that to be my primary knife unless I need a larger blade, and I may well carry both.

So....who's in? This will be a "good faith" challenge...no cheating! If you fall off the wagon, simply post that you're out. It's not like we're taking pinky fingers if you fail ;)

JD, I know you're in right? :D

I also plan on trying to update my old "EDC diary" thread that I have severely neglected :o
bada61265

Re: I will now EDC only SE for 6 months.

Post by bada61265 »

if se is so great why limit yourself to six months, been carrying my Ti Sage plane edge for 3 years no complaints and never ever missed having serrations. alot of times you want a clean cut, try that with a se knife...
grewich

Post by grewich »

Madness. Pure madness. Out of 30ish spydies not a singe serration. I'm am eyeing the h1 dragonfly. And a se hawk ladybug.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Not me. I find my usual tasks of opening mail and cutting cardboard are best done with a good plain edge.

But let us know how it goes.
:bug-red-white
Invective

Post by Invective »

I once did this for a week and didn't find myself missing PE at all. I was either carrying my SE MeerKat, SE Native, or the Millie and the Millie is enough of a knife that it can do anything. I would try to match your 6 month dedication but I just picked up an MSC PT and I've been dying to get one for a while! And for what I (admittedly over)paid for it, I can't just set it aside for 6 months :D But I will carry my backup knife as an SE and attempt to use it for everything. Probably will be the MeerKat, the Natives and Millie have seen a lot of outdoors use and haven't really been washed so they're a bit grimy. But the 440V hasn't even come close to rusting so I see no reason to change that!
WMR

Post by WMR »

EvilD, You should allow yourself the same opt out as every one else. Or at least consider another knife along with your EDC because that Ladybug aint goin to cut it. After years of EDC my Caly 3.5, I switched to the Nilakka with great satisfaction, but after a while, I missed the best EDC I ever owned. June 20th is a long way off. Think about it...
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I will glady join the challenge. I already prefer a SE blade for EDC, so this will be playing right into my wheelhouse. :) I currently EDC my "plain-jane" Ladybug SE, but I might add another SE model to the mix. Massad Ayoob SE? Or maybe my Centofante C50 SE. :D
xinam

Post by xinam »

I'll give it a shot! New police 3 se in hand. After that my only other is a manix2 se. I'm sure I'll be falling off the wagon at some point :) but who knows.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:The time has come to throw down a challenge to all you SE doubters. I feel I have learned enough about sharpening serrations and have my own technique down to where I can push cut phone book paper with each serration, so the whole "it's harder to sharpen" excuse is now no longer an excuse. I have 4 knives to choose from; a SE Military, SE Stretch 2, SE Native lightweight

So....who's in? This will be a "good faith" challenge...no cheating! If you fall off the wagon, simply post that you're out. It's not like we're taking pinky fingers if you fail ;)

JD, I know you're in right? :D :o
**** YES!!! I'm in :D :cool: Now first of all I would certainly try the Military model first> But I think you'll see it my way from a utility standpoint and discovery a love you never had up till now for the Golden, Colorado, USA Earth NATIVE model. I'm using mine today and this morning I was strutting and cutting through so many boxes and packages that I had to clean the tape adhesive off of two blades>>

And let's don't forget a Hawkbill as a companion blade. As good as Spyderedged Hawkbills are I find it hard to see how they sell any PE Hawkbills at all :confused:

And you're absolutely right EVIL because sharpening a Spyderedge just comes down to good old common horse sense ;) But we do indeed need the Great Spyder Factory to bring back the 701 Profiles because I do think you're starting a major trend and you don't yet realized it. A Spyderedged Christmas<>> it just don't get much better :D
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Great idea but this challenge is, in a way,behind me allready.My beloved Harpy(or Tasman) is allways with me, sometimes in pair with a plain edge blade and from to time I carry only a spyderedge blade( Pacific Salt moded by Lance aka Surfgringo, a Salt1).Not to mention that my favorite Spydie is the allmighty Police SS,SE C07 which I have to admit that I rarely carry, but just because of the size.Spyderedges are fantastic and those who claim that a plain blade could outperform a spyderedge in any situation are just blufing or they don't know what they're saying.The only thing I cant't do with a spyderedge is to peel a tomato, but give me some time.With a little patience I think I could.But there are things I cut with my H1 spyder teeth that I wouldn't dare to even try to cut with a plane blade, unless I am willing to ruin that blade.But that's me.So,count me in. :cool:
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I couldn't do it. My only SE knife is a Ladyhawk but I will very willingly carry it everyday as a backup blade. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

As much as I love my SE knives, I wouldn't really want to do it.

I've been carrying my SB Caly 3.5 for the last 3 years and wouldn't want to be with out it for 6 months. It's comfortable in my pocket. Most of the time I carry both a PE and SE knife with me.

Good luck with the challenge.
sdedalus83

Post by sdedalus83 »

I used my serrated robin at work for a bit more than 2 months before getting the Native 5. The serrations were never sharpened, and it still had no problems ripping through cardboard, but keeping the small tip section sharp enough to trim thread was a daily thing.
I carry a serrated Robin2 at work, a Cara Cara Rescue 2 in the glove box, and a ZDP Dragonfly or Junior everywhere else. My PM2 sits on a shelf with a small assortment of Kershaws.
Waiting patiently for the Native 5 lightweight and the Lil' Temperance 2.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bada61265 wrote:if se is so great why limit yourself to six months, been carrying my Ti Sage plane edge for 3 years no complaints and never ever missed having serrations. alot of times you want a clean cut, try that with a se knife...
If your SE is sharp enough, you can make clean cuts. The only exception would be if the material being cut is longer than one single serration, like when slicing chicken breast or something.
WMR wrote:EvilD, You should allow yourself the same opt out as every one else. Or at least consider another knife along with your EDC because that Ladybug aint goin to cut it. After years of EDC my Caly 3.5, I switched to the Nilakka with great satisfaction, but after a while, I missed the best EDC I ever owned. June 20th is a long way off. Think about it...
Oh I'm not above quitting. After I posted it, I realized 6 months may not be realistic anyway as I'm hoping to pick up a Strider in a couple months anyway. That may well be the deciding factor.

So far all I've had to cut was my daughter's quesadilla at Chipotle because the gal who made it couldn't be bothered to do it herself. In a way the Military and Native both allow for a small amount of cheating since they have a decent amount of PE at the tip, and less so with the Stretch. I need to get some clip screws for my Stretch before I can carry it. This idea is leading up to possibly having some serrations cut into some knives that are either discontinued or never offered with serrations, so before I bother with that I wanna give them a fair chance in some real long term use.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I could easily carry my serrated pacific salt and nothing more for the rest of my life. Easily. I'm not going to take the challenge though just because life is short and I can't stand the idea of neglecting the rest of my knives for six months. Interestingly enough when I leave the house and grab my edc I almost always reach for the serrated salt. I have to consciously choose to carry one of my other knives instead. So I guess it's more of a challenge for me to NOT carry it everyday! :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Surfingringo wrote:I could easily carry my serrated pacific salt and nothing more for the rest of my life. Easily. I'm not going to take the challenge though just because life is short and I can't stand the idea of neglecting the rest of my knives for six months. Interestingly enough when I leave the house and grab my edc I almost always reach for the serrated salt. I have to consciously choose to carry one of my other knives instead. So I guess it's more of a challenge for me to NOT carry it everyday! :)

This is by far the hardest part for me, especially with how much I love my Manix 2 LW and my S90V Yo 2. At the very least I think this will result in me buying a SE Dragonfly as a companion blade to my primary EDC. My Ladybug is a formidable little knife but being on my keys and tucked into my pocket usually makes it more of a hassle to pull out than my main knife that's clipped in my pocket, so just having a SE knife clipped in a pocket will make me more likely to use it.

And I'm curious..do you clean your fish with SE knives or strictly fillet knives and your Southfork?
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Surfingringo wrote:I could easily carry my serrated pacific salt and nothing more for the rest of my life. Easily. I'm not going to take the challenge though just because life is short and I can't stand the idea of neglecting the rest of my knives for six months. Interestingly enough when I leave the house and grab my edc I almost always reach for the serrated salt. I have to consciously choose to carry one of my other knives instead. So I guess it's more of a challenge for me to NOT carry it everyday! :)
I feel you :cool:
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Evil D wrote:

This is by far the hardest part for me, especially with how much I love my Manix 2 LW and my S90V Yo 2. At the very least I think this will result in me buying a SE Dragonfly as a companion blade to my primary EDC. My Ladybug is a formidable little knife but being on my keys and tucked into my pocket usually makes it more of a hassle to pull out than my main knife that's clipped in my pocket, so just having a SE knife clipped in a pocket will make me more likely to use it.

And I'm curious..do you clean your fish with SE knives or strictly fillet knives and your Southfork?
I have filleted many fish with them and though perfectly functional it's not the best option for the work. I usually use my Southfork and a big 9" fillet. Phil is making me a custom right now specifically designed for how I like to clean...imagine kind of a longer low profile Southfork with a tiny bit of drop point instead of trailing point...things gonna be an absolute scalpel!

As far as the "challenge", may I be the first one to extend an invitation to back off that ledge? Haha. Seriously, it's a great idea and a great challenge but might not 30 days be a less daunting and more fun goal? We won't judge you if you decide you want to rethink certain details which might have been composed in haste ...I'm just saying. :cool:
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I'm in. I just got this Native, but it's been the only thing I've carried since I pulled it out of its box. I honestly don't miss having a plain edge these days.

My only caveat is that if I get any knives for Christmas, I'll allow myself to carry them as backup.