I will now EDC only SE for 6 months.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: I will now EDC only SE for 6 months.

Post by JD Spydo »

With this thread hopefully creating a growing demand and love for Spyderedges and serrations in general Spyderco just absolutely must bring back the 701 Profiles>> they could make a base unit like the one they are working on for the GOLDENSTONE.

IF sharpening and maintenance is the only thing holding many of you guys back from using Spyderedged blades well we can sure remedy that if Spyderco will do their part. Now I will admit that sharpening Spyderedges or serrations of any type are a bit more time consuming but it's like the old saying that my late dad used to drill into my head constantly "Nothing Of Any Significant Worth Comes Easy".

If Spyderco will bring back the 701 Profile with a base unit for preset angles and in more grit selections I can almost guarantee you and upsurge in Spyderedge popularity.

And an instructional video for sharpening Spyderedges in depth along with one on the GOLDENSTONE as well would also help promote edges with great cutting teeth.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Coming up on the 6 month mark and I have carried the JD Smith almost exclusively as my SE blade of choice.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:Coming up on the 6 month mark and I have carried the JD Smith almost exclusively as my SE blade of choice.
Well Brother that's an excellent choice because I like the JD Smith model just as good in plain edge as I do in Spyderedge. Myself I've been EDCing my 440V, SE NATIVE model Golden, CO USA made. There have been a couple of days that I carred one of my Spyderedged Ayoob models.

I will admit that I've violated EVIL D's rules of only exclusively carrying a serrated folder but in my daily work there are many jobs I must have a plain edge. There were a couple of days that I carried and used my stainless Rescue C-45 model and it's one fine cutting tool all the way around. But as much as I love the Spyderedge I"m willing to admit only carrying a Spyderedged blade doesn't get all my cutting jobs done the way I want them.

Again I allude to the C-44 Dyad model which is my all time favorite folder simply because it gives you virtually everything you need. But Xceptnl's JD Smith is truly an excellent choice and it's also a super good blade in PE as well.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

That sure is a nice piece Landon, looks very functional and I really like micarta.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've stuck with it. In fact I almost never use a PE at work anymore. I more or less use SE for work and PE for off time but my Dfly never leaves my pocket.
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

I should have come up with such a thread 5 years ago, who knows what would have happened.
Maybe by now Sal and crew may have come to their senses and bring out more SE models..

I have carried ONLY fully serrated Spyderco's from about end 2005 till 2009 and never wished I had a plain edge. Heck I hardly owned any plain edged Spydies (still don't)

Maybe the only 2 things a fully serrated blade is not that great for is whittling and shaving.
For the remaining full Spyderedge is the way to go.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

spydutch wrote:
Maybe the only 2 things a fully serrated blade is not that great for is whittling and shaving.
For the remaining full Spyderedge is the way to go.
Yeah, and ironically serrations are actually pretty decent at bushcraft especially making feather sticks and such.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

xceptnl wrote:Coming up on the 6 month mark and I have carried the JD Smith almost exclusively as my SE blade of choice.

If i had that JD Smith i would carry it all the time. Love those old micarta models.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:

If i had that JD Smith i would carry it all the time. Love those old micarta models.
Another great model out of that era that had almost identical ergonomics and craftsmanship was the VIELE model>> and it was a real beast in Spyderedge as well. I'm still not ever going to be happy until I can land one of the full Spyderedged C-50 Centofante models. They used to be so abundant I got under the false sense of security that I could always get one anytime I wanted one>> So let that be a lesson to all of you>> because if there is a model you like that much don't procrastinate>> nail it immediately!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Reading back on this, it's kinda funny how extreme the idea seemed at the time. I'm now creeping up on 3 years of constant SE carry with no regrets or signs of going back (I didn't really make the change until sometime in late 2017).

Lots has changed since this thread though, mainly my sharpening methods and understanding of what makes SE perform well or flat out suck. A very big part of this change had to do with me just being honest and realistic with myself and looking at what I really use a knife for and what I really need it to be good at, and I realized that in almost every scenario a SE blade offered an advantage in performance. An even bigger part was getting over the hurdle of doubt from all the years of people trashing SE and spreading the same misinformation over and over.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i have too many pe knives that i love to not carry them. i typically will carry one of each. but, when i need to go light and just carry one, it's se every time.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Doesn’t seem years ago that this thread first appeared.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:07 am
i have too many pe knives that i love to not carry them. i typically will carry one of each. but, when i need to go light and just carry one, it's se every time.

That´s really the only reason while I still carry also PE: Designs I really like just don´t come in (ffg) SE. IF they would (like the Manix 2 LW or the regular Endura 4 ffg) I´d never carry them in PE or even PE folders in general anymore.

From a practical / performance point of view: My Endela SE definitely is the best cutter among and superior to all my PE knives in practically every task I encounter. My PE Enduras (very similar handle to the Endela) only get carried too due to their longer cutting edge, which I find more useful and versatile.

I will never get tired to encourage people who still believe in the negative SE myths (concerning performance and ease / difficulty of sharpening): Just try for yourself. I was rather biased against SE and really not prepared to like it until I simply used and sharpened my spyderedge Endela.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:18 pm
ladybug93 wrote:

That´s really the only reason while I still carry also PE: Designs I really like just don´t come in (ffg) SE. IF they would (like the Manix 2 LW or the regular Endura 4 ffg) I´d never carry them in PE or even PE folders in general anymore.

From a practical / performance point of view: My Endela SE definitely is the best cutter among and superior to all my PE knives in practically every task I encounter. My PE Enduras (very similar handle to the Endela) only get carried too due to their longer cutting edge, which I find more useful and versatile.

I will never get tired to encourage people who still believe in the negative SE myths (concerning performance and ease / difficulty of sharpening): Just try for yourself. I was rather biased against SE and really not prepared to like it until I simply used and sharpened my spyderedge Endela.
i don't think i'd want my manix 2 lw or yojimbo to have se though. i like them the way they are and enjoy carrying multiple knives.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:22 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:18 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
i don't think i'd want my manix 2 lw or yojimbo to have se though. i like them the way they are and enjoy carrying multiple knives.
That´s fine, and I can´t talk for the Yojimbo (never had one and SE would most likely make it a less good knife for SD)
Especially the Manix 2 LW though would imho be a clearly even better performer in SE. At least in my quite manifold variety of knife tasks: Tall, rather thin blade and BD1N steel (which obviously works well in some Spyderco SE kitchen knives) should lay a great foundation for the spyderedge.

Again, I have yet to find a task where ffg SE is not superior or at least as good as PE. There WILL be such tasks, no doubt, but I guess not in my use....
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Wow. It's strange to me how many naysayers there were, saying you wouldn't make it the full six months... Now, years later... :)

Lance, I think this post is spot on.
Surfingringo wrote:
Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:19 am
What I like about this challenge is it could actually change some people's views about serrated edges...and ultimately might help stop this ugly trend of discontinuing spyderedge versions of knives! Commit to carrying a se for awhile and you might be surprised. I agree that sharpening is probably one of the main things that keeps folks off se knives. Carry one for six months and you'll have to figure that out too. Good news is, there's nothing to it! Sometimes when I hear some of the complaints people have about se vs pe, it makes me realize they are talking about a serrated edge that just isn't sharp. Not really fair to compare a dull se to a well sharpened pe. A dull pe knife doesn't cut worth a **** either.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:00 pm
Wow. It's strange to me how many naysayers there were, saying you wouldn't make it the full six months... Now, years later... :)

Surfingringo wrote:
What I like about this challenge is it could actually change some people's views about serrated edges...and ultimately might help stop this ugly trend of discontinuing spyderedge versions of knives! Commit to carrying a se for awhile and you might be surprised. I agree that sharpening is probably one of the main things that keeps folks off se knives. Carry one for six months and you'll have to figure that out too. Good news is, there's nothing to it! Sometimes when I hear some of the complaints people have about se vs pe, it makes me realize they are talking about a serrated edge that just isn't sharp. Not really fair to compare a dull se to a well sharpened pe. A dull pe knife doesn't cut worth a **** either.
Seems crazy that that was 6 years ago. This thread makes me feel old!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Surfingringo wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:33 pm
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:00 pm

Surfingringo wrote:
Seems crazy that that was 6 years ago. This thread makes me feel old!!

Sometimes I cringe at some of my old posts, but I remembered this one today and I wish I could go back and have a chat with my 2014 self and maybe slap myself around a little. That tapered diamond rod was especially not my brightest moment. I should have listened to you years ago about the Sharpmaker, I recall a message conversation we had about sharpening your Pacific. This whole thing really did boil down to repeatable sharpening results and the Sharpmaker is practically idiot proof. I honestly wish I could go all the way back years prior to this and change some comments that I know I made about serrations because I'm guilty of assuming a lot that just did not turn out to be true at all.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well you don't need to cringe at your old posts. Because I'm sure I cringe more than you do :D But let's face it we are in a very rapidly changing world. I've never seen the planet like I've seen it in the past 3 years.

Heck I couldn't believe when Peacent pulled up my old "Now's The Time: For A New Hawkbill" thread. That one was launched in the spring of 2005 :eek: . And someone occasionally pulls it up from time to time. And it usually gains another 2 to 4 pages whenever anyone pulls it up.

My recent thread on bringing back the C-60 Ayoob model already has 24 pages and I didn't even expect more than 5 at the most. That C-60 in SE should have a dedicated section on this thread because in my humble opinion that may indeed be Spyderco's best serrated blades ever IMO.

If more people would take your "dare" of exclusively using a Spyderedged EDC I do believe it would create a new beginning for Spyderedged units across the board.