Holy-Moly, Natives have gotten expensive.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gac

Holy-Moly, Natives have gotten expensive.

Post by gac »

My son asked for a Native for Christmas. I just checked prices and a very brief search showed the lowest at $73. I bought the FRN from Wal Mart a few years ago and it was about $45.

Maybe I should buy him two Byrds, he's almost 12-years-old and just as likely to lose one. With that in mind, maybe I should get a yellow handled Salt so the knife is easier to find when he does lose it.
sal

Re: Holy-Moly, Natives have gotten expensive.

Post by sal »

Hi Gac,

The Wal-mart deals a special price back then and the knife was made for Wal-Mart in very high volume. We made small margins and Wal-Mart made small margins, but it did introduce our products to many.

sal
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

If you get the version that has been discontinued you can get a sweet deal. Especially if SE is a possibility. For a 12 year old I would recommend the Pingo as a cheaper starter blade. Will learn better habits not flicking and ninja opening the knife as well as the blunt(er) tip
xinam

Post by xinam »

I'd say it depends on your son. Does he take care of his other stuff, responsible? Twelve is fairly responsible age these days?? I still have knives I received/bought when I was about that age. My father would buy me something nice on occasion and then give me conditions of use LOL :) A native cared for properly is sure to last a lifetime and may be a good way to teach your son to care for the finer things in life.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

xinam wrote:I'd say it depends on your son. Does he take care of his other stuff, responsible? Twelve is fairly responsible age these days?? I still have knives I received/bought when I was about that age. My father would buy me something nice on occasion and then give me conditions of use LOL :) A native cared for properly is sure to last a lifetime and may be a good way to teach your son to care for the finer things in life.
+1

I agree with xinam. I would go ahead and get the Native for him. He will treasure that knife for years and will always remember where it came from. It may be a bit more expensive now vs. back when you purchased your first one, but they are very much worth the extra coin. :)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I bought a Native5 LW for my father in-law as he was desperately needing a good knife. It's certainly not priced like the C41 but it's also WAY nicer. Maybe combine it into his Birthday present? I do that a bunch as a December baby :).
sdedalus83

Post by sdedalus83 »

If price is the main issue, Amazon still has the Centofante for $46.
I carry a serrated Robin2 at work, a Cara Cara Rescue 2 in the glove box, and a ZDP Dragonfly or Junior everywhere else. My PM2 sits on a shelf with a small assortment of Kershaws.
Waiting patiently for the Native 5 lightweight and the Lil' Temperance 2.
gac

Post by gac »

Thanks, Sal. Always good to read your responses.

I always wanted a Centofante, I like the handle and hollow grinds. I'm inclined to buy my son the Native because it is my personal favorite. Prices will always go up anyway.
sdedalus83

Post by sdedalus83 »

gac wrote:Thanks, Sal. Always good to read your responses.

I always wanted a Centofante, I like the handle and hollow grinds. I'm inclined to buy my son the Native because it is my personal favorite. Prices will always go up anyway.
I really like the new Native frn as a work knife, and I'm also starting to like the Centofante. Hopefully you can pick up one of each.
I carry a serrated Robin2 at work, a Cara Cara Rescue 2 in the glove box, and a ZDP Dragonfly or Junior everywhere else. My PM2 sits on a shelf with a small assortment of Kershaws.
Waiting patiently for the Native 5 lightweight and the Lil' Temperance 2.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

I'd buy him a slipjoint so that he learns safe habits. I cut my teeth, among other things, with a stockman when I was half his age ...

Gordon
gac

Post by gac »

I bought him a Dragonfly 2. The knife arrived Saturday and I was more excited than he was.
sal

Post by sal »

Keep us posted on his progress. The kids are the future.

sal