what type of screws for Delica

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
swidgen

what type of screws for Delica

Post by swidgen »

I just got back from an extended trip to Australia where my delica got lots of use. Anyway, it got full of sand that wouldn't rinse out, so i took it apart and cleaned it out, then resembled it with no issues until i looked at the screws and realized they were somewhat stripped. I managed to get the screws open again but need to replace them. I contacted Charlynn and she says they don't have scale screws, just clip screws (how that is possible on the most popular model they sell I am not sure).

Does anyone know that the exact size and type of screw they use? she is sending me some new clip screws, and the pivot screw is fine but i need 4 new torx screws for the handle.

any help would be greatly appreciated
swidgen

Re: what type of screws for Delica

Post by swidgen »

This is getting really ridiculous. How can so many people on this site possibly rave about the customer service?
Fine, they don't have the screws in their repair facility, so I asked for the specs. she tells me she doesn't know and has no plans of finding out. In essence, good luck to you I'm not going to help.

Am i really supposed to believe that getting this information is impossible for her?
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

What if you sent it in and paid for the repairs?
swidgen

Post by swidgen »

the only option i was given was to buy a full parts kit for about $30 (after shipping, duties etc...) which seems really excessive since i'd be surprised if the retail value of the screws exceeded 40 cents.

i looked online and it seems I'm not the first one to face this problem and simply be shrugged off
swidgen

Post by swidgen »

Ok, I spoke to Charlynn and she explained to me that the clip screws are the same size threading and can in fact be used for the scales. To her credit, she did offer to send me a full set (7 pieces) when I initially spoke to her, before i posted this thread. At first this made no sense to me since i thought the clip screws are shorter and a different threading and what use would i have for 4 extra clip screws. but she has since assured me that many people have used them for this purpose and they are a good solution. The only difference is that the head of the screws is a slightly different shape, but naturally that makes no difference to me.

Just thought i should clear up the misunderstanding
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Glad to hear that it worked out!

And welcome to the Forum. :)