Sal, any interest in a Stockman slip it?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Sal, any interest in a Stockman slip it?

Post by twinboysdad »

I would love to see a 3 blade large stockman pattern slippy but with all the Spyderco touches. G10 or FRN, and I could easily trade the Spey blade for serrated but would like the large sheep afoot to stay PE as well as the main blade. The main could use a Spyderco hole. Anyone digging it? Wire clip?
xinam

Re: Sal, any interest in a Stockman slip it?

Post by xinam »

That could squeeze a little more money out of my pocket :) I'm digging the g10 scales idea. Foliage green with stainless bolster a small inlay of the syder logo, 3 small spyderholes also like the idea of a serrated spey blade. I'm not sure how I would feel about a wire clip, it would depend on the size/weight of the knife. In general I think the large stockman pattern would be borderline for needing the clip? As far as opening I guess a nail mark would work but its not really "spyderco" . However it is functional and I think a nail mark just ahead of a small hole would look pretty good.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

http://www.knifecenter.com/item/CA36303 ... d-10375-ss" target="_blank

here is a G10 stockman from the Case Carhartt collabo, if one blade was serrated and the main blade was a leaf shaped blade with a thumb hole and there was still a nail nick Wharn...I would be amazed
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I would buy it if it was not too large and had no clip. Also, I prefer the clip blade (Spydie makes some nice ones), sheepfoot/wharncliffe, and a spey blade. Plus, nice bolsters are a must. This would be a nice knife with all the Spyderco touches.

Where to have it made, though, Italy? Japan? USA?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
xinam

Post by xinam »

Doc Dan wrote: Where to have it made, though, Italy? Japan? USA?
I'd vote U.S.of A .

I'm probably dreaming.... but maybe CASE could produce a Spyderco collab?

I would honestly prefer it made in Golden. Seems like this knife is so far from the regular line that it'd require quite a bit of tooling to get the job done ?

Either way I think it would expand the consumer base for both companies.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

xinam wrote:That could squeeze a little more money out of my pocket :) I'm digging the g10 scales idea. Foliage green with stainless bolster a small inlay of the syder logo, 3 small spyderholes also like the idea of a serrated spey blade. I'm not sure how I would feel about a wire clip, it would depend on the size/weight of the knife. In general I think the large stockman pattern would be borderline for needing the clip? As far as opening I guess a nail mark would work but its not really "spyderco" . However it is functional and I think a nail mark just ahead of a small hole would look pretty good.
I love traditionals and the multi-blade, multi-pivot, stockman is not my favorite but if the foliage green G-10 was polished I don't think I could resist. Even in 8Cr13MoV I would enjoy it, but other more favorable steels would be preferred.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
xinam

Post by xinam »

xceptnl wrote: other more favorable steels would be preferred.
i

I agree. Though I figure once you hit s30v or there abouts, you're good enough. I never have to resharpen from shear use, its always from making a false move or cutting the "uncuttable"
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

xinam wrote:I agree. Though I figure once you hit s30v or there abouts, you're good enough. I never have to resharpen from shear use, its always from making a false move or cutting the "uncuttable"
This is how I feel. You will eventually get to a steel where the carbides will create a diminished return. S30V, Elmax, VG-10 for me are all in the same category.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Sal? Mike Janich? Taz?
mule skinner

Post by mule skinner »

I would buy some
mule skinner

Post by mule skinner »

Super blue would be my vote
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Still curious what Mr. Glesser thinks?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

This is an excellent idea, especially considering the staying power of many of the traditional slip-joint designs over the years. (I mean, if Trappers and Barlows continue to be as popular as they have been after being around for 150+ years, I'd say they're here to stay). I've recently had a renewed interest in traditional slip-joint designs after getting a Hungarian and Kris. There's something about the addition of bolsters that really adds a touch of class to the design. I would love to see a Spyderco version of a three-bladed Stockman, or a Trapper, Muskrat, Canoe, Congress, Whittler, etc., etc. I'd prefer a locking mechanism, but slip-joints are fine too. As for blade steel, good ol' VG-10 is fine with me. Stag, bone, or other natural materials would be preferred for handle materials, although a G-10 variation would be sweet for daily carry.

Here's an example of what I'd LOVE to see with Spyderco some day. (Note: This is a Bill Ruple custom single blade Trapper design. If we could add a Round Hole in there it would be PERFECT!):

http://www.knifepurveyor.com/bill_ruple ... _5934.aspx" target="_blank
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

I love Stockmen, I grew up with them. I'd want to see something traditional, though, no clip, no holes, no tactical black synthetic scales, no stainless steel, no serrated blades, just nice workmanship and materials with nail-nicks for opening ... Bolstered stag handles and Super Blue, you got my attention. Make the spey blade really, really thin behind the edge and I'll start drooling. But I don't think it's ever going to happen. I suspect that it would cost a fortune to make and sell in the dozens. Great fantasy, though. Thanks. ;)

Gordon
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I'm not sure how well the Spyderco aesthetic would translate in a multi-blade slipjoint design. I think they could definitely pull off a single blade slippie, something like the original Jess Horn without a pocket clip, but I can't see a Stockman or whittler model from Spyderco.
sal

Post by sal »

HI TBD,

I'm watching. Eric is working on multiblade models, mostly for mfr in China. None are a stockman style though.

The first problem that I see would be cost, unless made in China. Making 3 blades cost 3 times as much as making one blade.

The second would be; historicallky, we've not done well with multibladed models.

sal
mule skinner

Post by mule skinner »

sal wrote:HI TBD,

I'm watching. Eric is working on multiblade models, mostly for mfr in China. None are a stockman style though.

The first problem that I see would be cost, unless made in China. Making 3 blades cost 3 times as much as making one blade.

The second would be; historicallky, we've not done well with multibladed models.

sal
Maybe that's because you haven't made a stockman!
I know that sounds like a smart Alec response but that's not how I mean to come across. The diad just didn't do it for me. But a stockman would. I think a traditional stockman would appeal to quite a few people and a lot of people who aren't already spyderco fans.
xinam

Post by xinam »

Hmmm, polished foliage g10 trapper might do the trick. I really love the stockman pattern though. I love sheeps foot blades but they just dont work for everything i do, having the spey and clip as a back up is just too good to ignore. The canoe is another great pattern, I could see the double dent like on the roadie working nicely on the main blade. Excited to see what Eric comes up with, I'm sure i'll be in for one or two!
sal

Post by sal »

The Roadie is a test of the double-dent opening system. Eric is using small holes for opening the alternate blades on his designs. (He's created a few really nice designs. Many protos and much refinement. Very functional).

Let's suppoe that the double-dent is well received, do you think there would be interest in a Stockman folder with double-dents to pen the blades instead of nail nicks? I believe that they save space, but I really don't think nail nicks are a user friendly solution to opening a folding knife.

sal
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

If the double dents could be used without affecting the overall shape and utility of the blade, then I say go for it. It just seems like the blades would have be made quite a bit taller in order for the dents to be effective.

Looking at the Roadie, I'm having trouble seeing how someone could easily access the dents if the knife had more than a couple blades.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN