Received my 204p PM2 Second

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
animportant

Received my 204p PM2 Second

Post by animportant »

It was accurate to the sellers description. High grind on one side, centered, but open/close motion is a bit rough. The blade is super sharp and functions as I need it. I took a medium stone and began sanding the earlier part of the blade near the choil to create a small bevel where there was none, then took it to the fine and superfine stones on the Sharpmaker. Love the steel, it's my first experience with 204p, easy to work with and super sharp. (I have an m390 mule but haven't put scales on it or used/sharpened it yet)

Now my question, why would the open/close action be so rough? I don't get it. Flicking it open is out the window, which I'm ok with. Rough one handed opening is getting to me, especially since this piece was supposed to be super smooth, using a Bushing Pivot System, as per Knifeworks. I oiled it with some Frog Lube too, nothing. Any suggestions?

I have nothing against the seller, he was honest. Although, in the future, I would only pick up a Spyderco Second from the factory if I had the opportunity to. I wouldn't pay a markup price again for a second. My collection is small compared to most here, each knife holds a special place in my heart. I wish I paid $60 more and picked up a legit piece I had my eye on at the time.

Ps- not sure why I kept referring to knives as pieces in this post. It's too early for me. :confused: :rolleyes:
tap78

Re: Received my 204p PM2 Second

Post by tap78 »

My safe-queen para2 from knifeworks (cts-204p) isn't smooth too...
animportant

Post by animportant »

I guess that makes me feel a little better... :*(
tap78

Post by tap78 »

I think that You can be sure, that knife have never been used before :) that is good info. Smoothness comes with time spent on opening and closing.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

How does it affect the roughness when you loosen the pivot screw a bit?
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Huh. My 204P PM2 second is almost perfectly smooth--better than my non-second S35VN PM2. :confused:

Maybe there could be a little grit in the pivot? If you feel comfortable taking knives apart, that is the way I would go, since it doesn't have a warranty to begin with.
animportant

Post by animportant »

Yea this will be my first spyderco I take apart. I'll clean and oil it, just trying to get ideas of things to work on I may not have thought of prior to disassembly
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Before taking it apart i would hit the pivot with some oil and then blow it out with an air compressor. If there's any grit it should come out. Then i would clean all the gunk off. Maybe hit it with a cleaner and then put a small bit of oil on both sides and see how the action fares. If it's still rough then I would take it apart.
Holland

Post by Holland »

If oil and cleaning doesn't work, you could take some really high grit sand paper and lightly rub the liners and blade to smooth the parts that touch the washers.
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Holland wrote:If oil and cleaning doesn't work, you could take some really high grit sand paper and lightly rub the liners and blade to smooth the parts that touch the washers.
And if this doesn't work, feel free to pass it on to me, I'll do some work on it for the low-low price of the knife itself. ;)
animportant

Post by animportant »

Nope, I'll take it from here :)
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

I personally would use just a touch of lapping compound. That way you're not just randomly sanding things, you're polishing them to fit. The results are spectacular. ;)
animportant

Post by animportant »

hunterseeker5 wrote:I personally would use just a touch of lapping compound. That way you're not just randomly sanding things, you're polishing them to fit. The results are spectacular. ;)
Please go into further detail...