Title change:Not impressed with Spyderco Delica 4

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
suv44

Title change:Not impressed with Spyderco Delica 4

Post by suv44 »

I had issues with a new Delica 4, and sent it in for repairs to Spyderco. The blade would not lock, and I could of cut my fingers.They said it was lint build up. I don't buy it for a moment. I carried it in my pocket for a few months,took it out, and operated it.All was good. I go to use it and it didn't lock. Is this what to expect from these knives. Also, after paying the shipping costs to send it to them, I have to pay return shipping. This knife is becoming costly. I asked, "what if this happens again?" All I got was silence. I had such high hopes for this knife, and it has been dashed.I have lost trust in the knife and the company. :mad:

I mistakingly put this in the Byrd forum. That's why this appears twice in the forums.
Last edited by suv44 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ankerson

Re: Not impressed with Spyderco

Post by Ankerson »

Lint can be an issue with any back lock so it's possible that could have been the problem.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I'm a little confused here. When you get back a working knife, do you think that they actually did replace something and were just too embarrassed to tell you?

If it happens again, I'd say wash in soapy water and blow out with some air.

Did you oil the knife at some point? That can actually attract lint/dirt.
Holland

Post by Holland »

If anything get in the crevasse of the blade then it won't lock. I would take a flashlight to it and make sure nothing is in there. This happens all the time with lock backs. I would like to see a photo if you don't mind
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

It is not too rare with lockbacks. If it doesn't lock with a "click" there is usually something inside that needs to be cleaned out. Nothing wrong with the knife. Cleaning and inspecting ones knives from time to time is recommended.

Since there is nothing wrong with the knife I don't see why they should have any plans for the next time since all you have to do is clean it if it happens again..
Nate

Post by Nate »

My brother had given up on the lock on his Buck 110 and stopped carrying it. I asked to see it one day and sure enough, there was a crapload of lint, etc... wedged under the lock bar. A couple of minutes with my SAK tweezers and toothpick and it was good as new.
:spyder:
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

I have a Delica 4, and the lint build up actually prevented my lock from engaging fully. It took me a while to figure out what happened, but I took a needle and I cleaned out the lint. I do not blame the knife, nor do I blame Spyderco. If there was a problem with the knife that could be potentially dangerous to a customer like yourself, they would have replaced it, or fixed it. Spyderco is a great company with wonderful customer service. I can't imagine they would simply lie and send you back a faulty product. Hope your knife works properly! :)

Matt
suv44

Post by suv44 »

I have to pay for shipping to get my knife back
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

If you had checked the knife or asked here first you probably wouldn't have needed to send it in. You made a judgement error so I can't see why they should pay for shipping the knife back.. They didn't charge you for cleaning and checking it out?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

suv44 wrote:I have to pay for shipping to get my knife back
Any time you send a knife in for inspection, if there is found to not be a warranty problem, you pay for the shipping because they haven't done anything to be liable for.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with your Delica. At the writing of your description, it sounds like there is an issue with the knife. My Delica's have felt pretty (very) reliable.

It's hard to judge something by a writing and without actually looking at it. I say Spyderco knows more than I do because they've seen it and I haven't seen it.

I have sent one or two things in to warranty and had them returned that they were "within tolerances" which seemed like a disappointment to me. I usually retire something when I feel there is a problem and Spyderco doesn't think there is a problem.

I say you have a few options. If you can return it to the dealer, try to do that. Maybe the Delica isn't for you, or maybe it's just that Delica. If you can't return it to the dealer...

I've heard of people turning things in to warranty that weren't able to be repaired and getting SFO credit for the item. I don't know what their policy is if you say that the knife isn't what you were expecting or that it isn't operating to what you were expecting.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Donut

Post by Donut »

Evil D wrote:
suv44 wrote:I have to pay for shipping to get my knife back
Any time you send a knife in for inspection, if there is found to not be a warranty problem, you pay for the shipping because they haven't done anything to be liable for.
Couldn't they be liable if there was a problem that could injure the user, but that they didn't fix the problem?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
suv44

Post by suv44 »

I can't return it to the dealer because it has passed the 60 day warranty. They told me to contact Spyderco. The dealer is very big on the internet and reputable.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Having a bad experience with any product by anyone isn't nice.
Especially when you have high hopes for it.
But lint can be a serious problem, the margins in locking are pretty small and all works well untill something like lint build up causes the lock to lack the space to fall into the blade.

Blaming Spyderco or the knife itself won't do you any good and isn't a valid argument.
The only thing that's a little weird is the fact that you never got a message back from them,
I'd suggest to contact them again.
Spyderco is a well organised business and they do all they can to keep their reputation as high as it deserves to be.
suv44

Post by suv44 »

I keep hearing that lint is a possibility. How many here have bought a new knife,carried it in there pocket for a few months, took it out and operated it to make sure it's ok. When the time came to use it, it failed you? I believe this is rare.You would be pissed too.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

To the OP: Have you tried adjusting the screws that hold the handle together? If it isn't lint or crud causing the issue, the screw that the lockbar pivots on could be overtightened causing the handle to pinch in that spot which might inhibit the lockbar from dropping down fully into the notch of the blade tang.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I've had it happen to a Salt1, Delica (old) and a Caly3. On all of them I heard that they didn't lock properly and cleaned out the gunk/lint and they were fine. Use all of them.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I carry lockback Spydercos in my waistband, under my belt...no lint, ever...
I used to get lint jamming up most of my lockbacks, until I shook out the pockets each time that they were washed...

The inside waistband / under belt method "telegraphs" the shape of the knife less...the main reason why I use it...
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

Your story reminds me of why I really like Spyderco... if anything breaks, they will fix it for free.

The Customer Service Rep really can't honestly guarantee anything will never happen again. If you ever talked to one who did, then they are not being honest with you, they are just telling you what you want to hear.
suv44

Post by suv44 »

Fresh Eddie Fresh wrote:Your story reminds me of why I really like Spyderco... if anything breaks, they will fix it for free.

The Customer Service Rep really can't honestly guarantee anything will never happen again. If you ever talked to one who did, then they are not being honest with you, they are just telling you what you want to hear.
Interesting point.