Native 5 - Sudden Catastrophic Failure (Locking Mechanism)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wolfgaze

Native 5 - Sudden Catastrophic Failure (Locking Mechanism)

Post by wolfgaze »

I just experienced the most unexpected knife issue. I reached for my Native 5 on my nightstand and opened it - when I went to close it as I normally would do by disengaging the back lock, I immediately heard a weird *click* noise, the lock release lost its resistance and went fully down, and I felt an internal part of the knife dislodge and rattle. This little piece fell into my hand (photo below):

http://imgur.com/hgXoe2I" target="_blank
(sorry for the crappy image quality, cell phone camera + flash)

For the record, I have never hard-used this knife, nor any of my Spyderco's (only been collecting approx 2 years).... 99% of their use is to open packages or to break down boxes for recycling... The most use they get (sadly lol) is in my hand when I'm opening/closing them for fun while relaxing at home. So as you can imagine I was really surprised when this happened just now.

A few questions for you forum-goers if you don't mind:

- Has anyone experienced anything like this before with their Native 5 or with similar models using this locking design/mechanism?

- The knife was purchased new in June of 2013 from KnivesShipFree. I don't believe I have my shipping receipt lying around but I have my Paypal Payment Confirmation email and my order confirmation email from KnivesShipFree. Is that an authorized Spyderco Dealer (I was referred to them from this forum as they were the only dealer who had Native 5's in stock during that time period). Does that even matter now that I am nearly 18 months out from the time I purchased the knife?

- What would you more experienced Spyderco owners recommend be my best course of action given these circumstances? Like I said I've only collected Spyderco knives (and any pocket/folding knives) for close to 2 years. Never had a service issue before. What is the proper protocol for addressing an issue like this?

Your help/assistance is appreciated. Thanks in advance....

~Mike
xinam

Re: Native 5 - Sudden Catastrophic Failure (Locking Mechanis

Post by xinam »

Look like the spring that applies pressure to the lockbar has either broke or the tabs that hold it in place have given way. Contact customer service on the spyderco website, they'll give you the 411 on what to do. I haven't experienced this sort of breakage, however I'm sure it happens time to time. Send it back and experience some great customer service.... that's what I would do. I have only had one incident that required repair thus far and I was more than impressed!
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

My experience is that they won't ship you a replacement part, you'll have to send the knife in. Charlynn is very nice, and (thankfully) just got back in the office. :) I'd start by just sending them a W&R rec. through their website. You'll get an email reply with return instructions, and you'll probably have your knife back in a couple weeks assuming there is nothing else wrong with it.
timlara

Post by timlara »

I hadn't heard of them, but KnivesShipFree is listed in the Dealer Locator:

https://www.spyderco.com/dealers/" target="_blank

I agree with the others - just contact warranty & repair and let them decide what to do. Don't try to disassemble/fix on your own so that they can best determine the cause of failure.

http://www.spyderco.com/contact/" target="_blank

** Edit: Whoops...didn't notice this was a duplicate thread. Just saw the other instance.