Sharpmaker for scissors

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MartinJ

Sharpmaker for scissors

Post by MartinJ »

I don't really understand about sharpening scissors using the sharpmaker. I mean, I understand how the video says to do it, but I don't understand the concept, because none of my scissors seem to have a bevel angle that comes anywhere close to the one on the sharpmaker. Is there something different about sharpening scissors? I Googled the subject, and everyone says to sharpen at the bevel angle, like a knife (but only one side, of course).

I really don't think all my scissors are unusual. They look more or less like the ones in the video, although it's hard to see the bevel in the video.

Does the bevel angle matter, as long as it's steeper than the Sharpmaker angle?
mattman

Re: Sharpmaker for scissors

Post by mattman »

There is a slot for one rod in the end of the base that's for scissors...

I haven't used it, but I believe it's 12°...
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

The Sharpmaker setting/slot for scissors will micro-bevel most scissors very quickly.
MartinJ

Post by MartinJ »

mattman wrote:There is a slot for one rod in the end of the base that's for scissors...

I haven't used it, but I believe it's 12°...
Thanks, as I said, I know how it's done, I just don't understand the concept. The bevel on most of the scissors is much higher than 12 degrees, and most instructions simply say to follow the bevel to sharpen the scissors, same as, say a chisel. So the Sharpmaker is essentially dulling the point, which in a knife, would not be good, but for scissors, perhaps it doesn't matter (that's what I'm trying to understand).
MartinJ

Post by MartinJ »

Cliff Stamp wrote:The Sharpmaker setting/slot for scissors will micro-bevel most scissors very quickly.
Thanks, that sounds like a clue. So, it that the normal way to sharpen scissors (which seems to contradict most methods I've found so far), or is it simply a different method that may or may not be better? The more I think about it, the more I start seeing that it may be a better way; it should be quicker, take away less metal, and perhaps keep the edge longer.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

It is as normal as using the Sharpmaker in general to micro-bevel.

It would likely freak out someone who sharpens scissors professionally as they would view it almost exactly the same as for example Murray Carter looks at using the Sharpmaker on knives.

There is nothing stopping you of course from using the rods in the base and matching the angle of the scissors freehand or with a jig and just sharpen the entire bevel.

But just try using the slot on a pair of $2 scissors for awhile, that might be all you want/need.
MartinJ

Post by MartinJ »

Thanks Cliff,

That makes sense. I did try it on some cheap, old scissors, and it definitely helped. I use tissue and cotton balls for testing before and after. I pull out a bit of the cotton ball, and try cutting it without support. They passed after a quick sharpening using that method.

I'll have to check out Murray Carter and see where he's at. :-)
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

Did a few for my wife who uses them for quilting. Had better results with a bit higher quality scissors.
Had to use both brain cells but if she is happy I am not complaining.
MartinJ

Post by MartinJ »

Gerard Breuker wrote:Did a few for my wife who uses them for quilting. Had better results with a bit higher quality scissors.
Had to use both brain cells but if she is happy I am not complaining.
Both brain cells? No wonder I was having trouble - I don't have that many!
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

One of my grandmothers is a seamstress, and I've sharpened several pairs of scissors for her without issue. A few sets had shallower bevels, and I compensated by holding the scissors at a slight angle while sharpening to be closer to the original bevel. Every pair I've tried to sharpen thus far has come out significantly sharper than it was before.
Last edited by 3rdGenRigger on Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Great thread - I have yet to use the SM for scissors. I learned a few things here today. Thanks guys.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I use a pair of scissors in my shop that have micro serrations on the bevels of each half. These teeth grasp the material being cut so that it doesn't just escape out past the tips. They are my only pair that can cut Kevlar cloth, as even very sharp standard shears push the Kevlar out the front instead of cutting it. I'd love to sharpen them, but don't see any easy way that doesn't erase these important teeth, which are smaller than the radius at the corners of the SM rods.