Lil' LionSpy

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jabba359

Lil' LionSpy

Post by jabba359 »

I have to admit, I was a bit surprised when this was announced. It seems like the full size LionSpy doesn't get a whole lot of attention and I thought it was in danger of being discontinued due to the lack of notice here on the forum as well as the number of online sellers marking it down to 50% MSRP or less. Usually that only happens when they can't move stock, which in turn typically means getting put on the chopping block. But somehow the demand must have been high enough that a smaller version made financial sense. I like my LionSpy, but find it takes up more pocket space than I care for, the blade is thicker than I typically need (I prefer blades optimized for slicing), I hate the pocket clip, and it's heavier than I usually carry. Had I known a smaller version was in the works, I probably would have held off on my purchase, seeing as how it addresses all my complaints.

The Lil' LionSpy, as the name implies, is smaller, so should take up less pocket space. The blade is still pretty thick, but slims up a tiny bit from 4.5mm down to 4.0mm. The catalog shows it with the same clip as its full-sized counterpart, but there is a Lil' up on eBay now and the clip seems to be a modified version of Spyderco's usual hourglass clip. I may have to see if I can order one of these new clips to swap out on my LionSpy, assuming it's even interchangeable. Finally, it's dropped some weight, coming in at an even 4 oz, whereas the full-size LionSpy weighs in at almost half again as much with 5.9 oz.

So now that the Lil' is out, it'll be interesting to see if it can gain a little more traction than the full-sized version. Anyone who owns both, please chime in with your thoughts on the two.
Last edited by jabba359 on Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Firebat

Re: Lil' LionSpy

Post by Firebat »

I dunno, but mine will be here tomorrow or Tuesday; will post some thoughts if you'd like.

I was always a fan of the original, but I liked it for different reasons than I like other knives. I don't only keep the ones that fit into a very narrow set of specs or requirements; so the LionSpy was always a must-have for me, as I am huge fan of both Lionsteel and Spyderco.

Having owned a number of other pieces made by Lionsteel, the precision and quality feel is impressive...add the trademark round hole and that's an instant must-have in my book. A smaller version is a welcome addition, IMHO.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I often prefer the "lil" version of a knife when it has a blade of about 3". Like my Mini SERE2000 instead of being at or just over the legal carry limit of my area its easily legal. Not to mention it goes from being a heavy knife to a more Spyderco weight class.

Not sure how it would look but either Lionspy might be good candidates to an aftermarket clip point job.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

It makes sense to me, since Lionsteel already makes a smaller SR1. So, Spyderizing it shouldn't be too difficult. The hourglass clip on the Lil is most welcome, as the clip on the full size LionSpy has been a deal breaker for carry time in my pocket so far.

I do have a LionSteel SR1A, and SR2A, so based on that experience, I'm expecting the Lil LionSpy to be an excellent, and much more pocket friendly EDC knife. And with a clip that should be a joy to use.
:bug-red-white
timlara

Post by timlara »

I too like the Lil version much better as well. The tip is still a little high for my tastes, but for some reason the blade shape bothers me less in the smaller overall size. The clip looks like a great improvement.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Judging by the picture on Knifeworks, it looks like it has a different clip but it's the same style of clip.

-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Donut

Post by Donut »

Someone let me know if you see the Lil Lionspy in stock at a dealer.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Could someone check if the clip fits it's bigger brother? I have a slightly different clip from LionSteel on mine (and glassbreaker screw), but I like the hourglass look of the new one :D
DRH

Post by DRH »

Donut wrote:Someone let me know if you see the Lil Lionspy in stock at a dealer.
National Knives just got them in and currently has the best price I've seen. Just ordered one. I have the LionSteel SR2 ... so know this will be an absolutely fantastic EDC piece ... heavy duty, yet easy to carry. Just hope the lock bar is not as stiff as the one on the full-size LionSpy (which is considerably thicker and stiffer than the one on the LionSteel SR1 versions).
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Donut wrote:Someone let me know if you see the Lil Lionspy in stock at a dealer.
It looks like Howe's has them now too. I think they were asking around $232 if I recall correctly.
DRH

Post by DRH »

SpyderNut wrote: It looks like Howe's has them now too. I think they were asking around $232 if I recall correctly.
If they had them in, they sold out very quickly as none are in stock as of this post. Howe's was the first place I looked, struck out. National came in second at 235.99. Currently have 3 left.
-------------------------
My Knife Collection
(Updated 6/16/2016)

Dennis in PA
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

DRH wrote:
SpyderNut wrote: It looks like Howe's has them now too. I think they were asking around $232 if I recall correctly.
If they had them in, they sold out very quickly as none are in stock as of this post. Howe's was the first place I looked, struck out. National came in second at 235.99. Currently have 3 left.
Ah, that doesn't surprise me. I think I received their (Howe's) e-mail update on Friday last week. Ancient news at this point I suppose. ;)
Firebat

Post by Firebat »

Some really quick and dirty pics; will try to do some more useful comparisons later.

In short, I love it. Build quality, as expected, is excellent. This is one of those rare models that made me laugh out loud when I opened it up...in a good way. It's just the perfect miniature version of the original. So cool.

gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Looks nice! This one will be going on my list for sure.
:bug-red-white
Donut

Post by Donut »

I was having trouble finding it on National Knives.

I placed an order on Knife Outlet. It's more expensive, but I think it will be worth it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I'll be ordering one tomorrow, thanks to funds from the sale of one of my Foundries. (Thanks PayneTrain! :))
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I love the clip. It's nice to see Spyderco releasing some carry options based on their standard clip.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Alchemy1

Post by Alchemy1 »

Any long term info on this knife?
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Great pictures Firebat, thank you. I just took notice of this knife(didn't notice the first Lionspy either)

Note:
There is no liner on the non-lock side. :) Helps in weight reduction.
There is no filler plate between the two slabs. Framelock is machined down from one piece. :)
For strength as in the SnG.

Nice!
DRH

Post by DRH »

Here's the newly arrived Lil' LionSpy with his big brother!

-------------------------
My Knife Collection
(Updated 6/16/2016)

Dennis in PA