Ok, what did you see in the new catalogue that you need?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HarleyXJGuy

Re: Ok, what did you see in the new catalogue that you need?

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

This is a online or paper catalog?
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:This is a online or paper catalog?
You can order a paper copy, but see the sticky at the top of the thread list in this forum section for a downloadable pdf copy.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
dewildeman

Post by dewildeman »

Not need but definitely interested in the Urban, Roadies and the sprint Dragonfly. Not in the catalogue but hoping to see next year, the USN Ladybug.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Surfingringo wrote:
Knutty wrote:Definitely the PS2 (Poop Stretch2). Because I've been positively aching for a Stretch that weighed significantly (44%) more than my other ones, that has a blade in a steel that has lousy corrosion resistance and was already offered on other versions of the Stretch anyway, in a length barely but definitively over 3.5" legal blade length limits. The fact that the heavy new scale material has no real benefits and is the color of poop is just icing on the cake!
Hmm...sometimes when I see brown I think of autumn. Sometimes I see tree bark, rich earth or the pine straw that covers it in North Louisiana. Other times I imagine the soft fur of a deer or rabbit or a good dog laying in front of the fireplace. Are you unable to see anything other than feces?

...Paging Dr. Freud. :D
Similarly, when I see the prevalence of 'brown' scales on certain knives I frown a little- I'm sick to death of the whole 'Flat Dark Hedgehog/Coyote Biege/Tactical Tan' colourway...So much so I couldn't bring myself to buy the first run Southard. ;)

I'd also suggest (in my case, with a Freudian mindset) that this Flat Dark Earth (brown) colouration reminds me too much of that awful candbar from my childhood- Caramac- a flavour a cannot stand to this day, so maybe there's some negative association there :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caramac" target="_blank

Not scatalogical like some people though ;)
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

Hahahahahahaha! Woo-hoo the jokes are a-flyin'!

I guess my mind goes to feces when I see the new PS2 because that's what I think of the changes made to an excellent knife platform.

I love black and grey and even brown, but not everything needs to be dark, bland, or muted. It bothers me that some models have gotten more than their share of color (Delica in production, PM2 in sprints and exclusives, etc.), but the Stretch has been pretty much just black, really dark green, grey, bland bluish grey, or now, poop. I know there was a blue glass one (which I didn't care for), and a royal blue one IIRC, but it would have been nice to see yellow/orange/green/etc. FRN. But I guess if it didn't sell well enough, it's moot. And we all know that FRN is cheap plastic crap anyway, because "heavier means better/stronger".
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Knutty wrote:Hahahahahahaha! Woo-hoo the jokes are a-flyin'!

I guess my mind goes to feces when I see the new PS2 because that's what I think of the changes made to an excellent knife platform.

I love black and grey and even brown, but not everything needs to be dark, bland, or muted. It bothers me that some models have gotten more than their share of color (Delica in production, PM2 in sprints and exclusives, etc.), but the Stretch has been pretty much just black, really dark green, grey, bland bluish grey, or now, poop. I know there was a blue glass one (which I didn't care for), and a royal blue one IIRC, but it would have been nice to see yellow/orange/green/etc. FRN. But I guess if it didn't sell well enough, it's moot. And we all know that FRN is cheap plastic crap anyway, because "heavier means better/stronger".
No Royal blue (GoldenSpydie made some aftermarket scales for his in that color I believe), but there was also carbon fiber and black Nishijin Glass Fiber.

As for the return to G-10 for the upcoming model, it isn't because people have a bad perception of FRN or that FRN doesn't sell well. Sal said that they are doing G-10 to test the changes on the Stretch and then once they have refined it and made sure it works, then they will invest the money to build the FRN molds for a FRN version. You see, it's much cheaper to work out all the details on a G-10 version first because it's relatively easy to make adjustments to the machining paths. You only want to build a FRN mold once, however, since the molds are expensive, so by the time to go to FRN you better have all the details worked out and the pattern set in stone.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

There was a blue FRN Stretch. It was a sprint run in ZDP-189 if I remember correctly, several years before the British Racing Green production version came along. I've seen pictures, so I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I will chime in.

---> Branden
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have seen the blue zdp version myself. Bought a couple knives off a guy on craigslist and he had one. I didn't have enough money to buy all his knives so I let that one go. It wasn't bright blue but also not quite navy blue either. I think it was a smaller sprint run like 500 pieces or something but I am sure some one will chime in soon who knows. Deacon probably does, the stretch is his knife of choice.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I have seen the blue zdp version myself. Bought a couple knives off a guy on craigslist and he had one. I didn't have enough money to buy all his knives so I let that one go. It wasn't bright blue but also not quite navy blue either. I think it was a smaller sprint run like 500 pieces or something but I am sure some one will chime in soon who knows. Deacon probably does, the stretch is his knife of choice.
3rdGenRigger wrote:There was a blue FRN Stretch. It was a sprint run in ZDP-189 if I remember correctly, several years before the British Racing Green production version came along. I've seen pictures, so I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I will chime in.
I believe Knutty called the FRN ZDP "bland bluish grey" and is the same knife you guys are referring to. It was the regular production FRN ZDP-189 Stretch from 2009-2010 until Spyderco decided to standardize British Racing Green as their ZDP color. I picked one up when it got discontinued and really like the color.

It can often be difficult to determine the exact color from a picture, as lighting conditions vary, cameras render differently, most people don't have a calibrated monitor, etc. So here are a few other Spyder blues (and a little grey) to give you a better idea of what the Stretch color really is.

-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
adairjs

Post by adairjs »

I've had a preorder in for a Roadie for months, so that was no surprise. Of the new stuff, the Urban Lightweight is now on my shopping list. I'd been looking for a green G10 one for a while, but gave up when I realized it didn't have liners, so may as well settle for the FRN.

The Pingo and Squeak are both favorites of mine, so sprints are kind of mandatory, but can't say I'm totally stoked over them. I'd have preferred the Elamx Pingo without the big bug design. Also gotta say that, to me, small metal handled knives like that scream out for a bottle opener notch at the end (like the one on the Sanrenmu H03). No point in being picky, though. You can't please everybody all the time, and we are free to start our own knife companies, right?
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

jabba359 wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:I have seen the blue zdp version myself. Bought a couple knives off a guy on craigslist and he had one. I didn't have enough money to buy all his knives so I let that one go. It wasn't bright blue but also not quite navy blue either. I think it was a smaller sprint run like 500 pieces or something but I am sure some one will chime in soon who knows. Deacon probably does, the stretch is his knife of choice.
3rdGenRigger wrote:There was a blue FRN Stretch. It was a sprint run in ZDP-189 if I remember correctly, several years before the British Racing Green production version came along. I've seen pictures, so I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I will chime in.
I believe Knutty called the FRN ZDP "bland bluish grey" and is the same knife you guys are referring to. It was the regular production FRN ZDP-189 Stretch from 2009-2010 until Spyderco decided to standardize British Racing Green as their ZDP color. I picked one up when it got discontinued and really like the color.

It can often be difficult to determine the exact color from a picture, as lighting conditions vary, cameras render differently, most people don't have a calibrated monitor, etc. So here are a few other Spyder blues (and a little grey) to give you a better idea of what the Stretch color really is.

Hmmmn, that blue FRN Stretch looks an awful lot like the Midnight Blue FRN S110V Manix.

I too was a little disappointed with the brown G10 when that colour was confirmed after first hearing in the Casual Bombshell thread that it was going to be a CF handled Stretch. I think that I was also the first to compare it to "poop brown". First in a little rant on BF and then again here on the Spyderco forums.

Sal replied to my posting like the gentleman that he is and said that he was sorry that I didn't like brown and that brown wasn't his favourite colour either. He then asked if anyone was interested in a buffed CF..... to which there was a positive response but then also some negativity from those that saw extra $$$ associated with a CF version and like G10 just fine.....even if they weren't happy with the colour. Then there were those people that just loved the brown colour and were ecstatic about it.

I love the new design of the Stretch which is one of my favourite knives and with the larger handle I can easily see it becoming my absolute favourite. If the brown Stretch 2 will remain production for a while then I will probably hold off on my purchase as long as I can and see if a CF (buffed, peel ply or G10 laminate shows up) either in the same ZDP or a boutique steel (Japanese M4 equivalent maybe?).

I would also absolutely love to see it in a blue weave CF laminate with S110V (keep the cost down a bit from pure CF...... or even a midnight blue G10 version :) ).......if Spyderco was willing to ship the steel to Japan or do a Golden sprint run if possible.

But if it takes too long for the CF or a sprint run to show up then I will probably bite the bullet and pick up a brown G10 version and modify it with custom wood scales - which would be my first custom wood scaled folder........which is one way of getting the Stretch I want with scales that I will absolutely love.

So while I am really looking forward to the new Stretch 2.......it will probably be a delayed gratification purchase for me since I will be waiting a while until I get mine.......unless there is another release with nicer scales. Perhaps in the same way a white knight (or Blue Knight in this case) saved the Domino for me when Blue Ridge Knives released their Blue Weave Domino version.

Someone mentioned that the blade was also just over the legal limit.........I say make it even longer.......a stretched Stretch. With the slightly longer handle I am guessing that a longer blade is also possible....another 3/8 or 10mm would be awesome and if the new longer handle can't hold that much extra blade then I'm sure that not much more would be required to make it fit.

I think that although the new Stretch 2 is a "need knife" for me that I'll wait just a bit before I pick mine up. But I will be picking up a "new to me" CF Stretch from the post office tomorrow........something that I can turn into a Superblue FrankenSpydie - like Nemo did :).

I guess the other "needs" from the new catalogue would be the SE Black Pacific Salt, Black SE Aqua Salt, black blade Matriach 2 Emerson opening (maybe), and although not in the catalogue, the S110V FRN Native 5, the ARK neck knife and the Introvert.

I think those will be it for my 2015 Spyderco purchases........unless some Sprints show up :D - especially a Caly 3.5 bolstered Damascus/CF exactly like the Caly 3 version. That would help console me on the demise of the G10 Caly 3.5 ;)
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I'm one of those who like the brown G10 of the Stretch 2. I can understand completely why some wouldn't like it (Nothing will satisfy everyone), and I really do like brown as a scale colour...though that's my own personal opinion. I've contemplated buying a VG-10 version of both the Delica and Endura (Though I do prefer the Ti-Damascus versions), and if I do it will be in brown FRN. I don't see it as a "Tactical" colour because I think if that were the case the hardware would be blacked out as would the blade, and I think the brown would be darker...I think it provides a great neutral colour option that's not so bright that it stands out, but also isn't the "Tactical-ish" black. Grey is also something I'd consider, but I do prefer brown because I feel it's more neutral. Just my $0.02.

---> Branden
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

PPT that's for me. I traded my last one away foolishly and have wanted another ever since.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Rwb1500 wrote:PPT that's for me. I traded my last one away foolishly and have wanted another ever since.
I was just wondering: for all of those people who called out the PPT sprint, do you have the original PPT in your collection? I've been asking for a PPT sprint for a while now, but the addition of a blade coating isn't different enough for me to get a second one. And, at least in the prototype pic, the liners aren't blacked out, which just seems a bit strange/ridiculous to me since the liners and backspacer are substantial.

Good to see all the Aqua Salt fans!

I'm strangely attracted to the elmax/ti squeak, is that weird? Something about that combo just seems deliciously decadent on that design, and I'm a large locking folder kinda guy. Also, the more I look at it, the Roc is calling to me, probably because it would be so very different from anything else in the collection?
Zken

Post by Zken »

I need the new display case, probably two. It solved my storage problem and its the perfect solution for displaying my knife.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

The PPT is a great knife. I don't think I'll get another though. I will probably get an Aqua Salt, serrated. My Dad has one on his boat. Long ago I sold my plain-edge Aqua Salt because it didn't hold an edge well.
Stretch 2 and Firefly - put me down for those.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

The only new knife in catalog on my must-get list so far is the Stretch 2 (still need a few of the old ones). The brown G-10 is fine with me -- I'm overstocked on black G-10 and fond of natural, earth tone colors (and apparently have no scatalogical hangups ;)).

Once the new FRN molds are made, wouldn't it be nice if the gray FRN super blue series could expanded to include the Stretch 2? I never bought the current SB Stretch because it's not a perfect fit for my hand, but I do have the BRG ZDP one. I'm pretty sure I'll like the feel of the G-10 model better than the FRN, but it would be nice to have some more Super Blue, whatever the handle type.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

One PE and SE aqua salt. The only MUST BUYS. There will be others depending on pricing but these 2 are definite. Passed on them before but not again.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

jabba359 wrote:[...]

I remember a couple of threads where the blue Stretch was discussed and pictured, along with a similarly colored Delica, also disco'ed. (Tried to order the blue stretch from a place that advertised it last year & they sent the green one, which I already had :( )

Thanks for posting the ColorChecker pic with accurate knife colors. I was hoping to try the ColorChecker to see how my mixture of OttLite, window light and room incandescent matches up, but I quickly found out its price and software are out of my league for now :o At least I bookmarked your photo and can compare it to a shot of my gray (Super Blue) FRN Endura & D-fly -- I don't have any of the blues you showed, but a good neutral gray might be better (edit: for checking my lighting). (Some people say this is blueish gray, assuming it's the Super Blue version.)
Last edited by DougC-3 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I'm in desperate need of a Spyderco Autonomy :D