Pry bars and Knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
xinam

Pry bars and Knives

Post by xinam »

hi, new to the posting end of the forum, so bear with me :) My name is Caleb and I'm a habitual knife user and on occasion "abuser". I work outside for a full service landscape company and do remodel work and other various things when they come around. My love for knives started at an early age but as I entered my mid twenties I developed an taste for quality in all things work related. I first fell for case/german eye slip joints primarily in stockman pattern. Those are some really fine cutting tools and just likeable on many levels. Sadly, I found that they just wouldn't take the abuse dealt out on a regular bases and were pretty easy to lose :( One day while browsing knifecenter for my next purchase I saw a spyderco ad and decided to have a look. It was the manix2, after some research I made the purchase and subsequently put the slip joints on display. Man! what.a.knife. Year and some later I own 5 manix2, 2 endura4, 2 stretch, one caly 3.5 zdp, serrata and just today a lum tanto :) Obviously I fell in LOVE. The reason I came to leave these wonderfully comfortable/tough/beautiful knives was durability in use....now when I go to do something rough I cringe ( thats my baby :) )

So here is the idea-> To put it simply ... a detachable clip. I have often thought, if I could just slide this clip off I could pry that and not worry... Perhaps something like one of those edc titanium mini pry bars with a dovetail joint in the handle/liner with some sort of release mechanism to allow fairly simple removal.

Personally I think this would be an awesome feature on a hard use knife. Though a lot of my ideas are hog wash I'm told lol. What do you think? In this day and age nothing is to complicated to make, its all doable.

P.s. Mr. Glesser, if you like the idea go ahead and shoot the patents department an email :) bahahahahaha
Laethageal

Re: Pry bars and Knives

Post by Laethageal »

Could be a great idea, but then you get to need an xtra thick clip which will annoy most during use...
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
xinam

Post by xinam »

You're probably right. Though it wouldn't have to be super thick, just stout... slightly thicker than than a stock clip... if you break it replace it type thinking.
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

I think it is an idea that has merit but will require some serious R&D. You would have to find the right balance of size, shape, thickness and proper material to make it a success.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Interesting. I wouldn't have any use for such a thing myself, but it is certainly an interesting concept. Maybe a titanium, 0.1in thick clip/pry bar?
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Why make it part of the clip? Have the clip separate and have either a separate detachable pry bar (Something like a CBBL to keep it nested in the handle), or have it as a fold out deal like on the Tusk. Whatever iteration being considered, it's definitely something to think about.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

First of all, xinam, welcome to the forum and thank you for your input on the knives. Second, I like your idea. There are many uses for prybars, in everyday work situations, and, emergencies.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I've been thinking something similar, I'd love to see a prybar built into knives. They're cheap to make, prevent blade damage, and could even be replaceable. There are many ways to accomplish one being tossed on a knife. Fit one into the backspacer slot and have it fold out, hide it inbetween a handle scale and a liner and allow it to pull out from the end of the knife, and I'm sure I could name a bunch more.
Bugout Bill

Post by Bugout Bill »

Very interesting idea.

I've never really felt to the need to carry pry bars myself, usually probing or scraping is the grubbiest work I do, and something like a Leatherman Marlin Spike is usually sufficient. Of course, if I am using my knife at the time, I will use it as well.
" Two guns, flashlight, two 12-gauge cartridges, and a knife because—just because—every little boy should have a knife.." -- Louis Awerbuck on his EDC
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Designing a clip that's easily and quickly removable without tools for separate use, but won't detach itself when clipping the knife to your pocket, and rigid enough to use as a prybar, but flexible enough to provide the spring tension that a clip must have in order to function, certainly presents an interesting set of diametrically opposed requirements. Not saying it couldn't be done, or shouldn't be done, just saying it would not be easy.

No interest myself. In the 60+ years I've been carrying knives the only times I've ever really needed a prybar, I needed a really big one.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The Deacon wrote:Designing a clip that's easily and quickly removable without tools for separate use, but won't detach itself when clipping the knife to your pocket, and rigid enough to use as a prybar, but flexible enough to provide the spring tension that a clip must have in order to function, certainly presents an interesting set of diametrically opposed requirements. Not saying it couldn't be done, or shouldn't be done, just saying it would not be easy.

No interest myself. In the 60+ years I've been carrying knives the only times I've ever really needed a prybar, I needed a really big one.
I agree on your first paragraph. It's a bit of an oxymoron.

On the other hand, I like knives with strong tips for those emergency prying tasks and the Battlestation is an apt one for that.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
tap78

Post by tap78 »

I think that dedicated tools are better, IMO pocket clip have to be solidly attached to knife...

I personally carry those...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Welcome to the forums! :).

Great suggestion. I think it would have to have a beveled edge and be on a pivot to be very useful, IMHO. Unfortunately that would make it sharp and likely to move around so it wouldn't be the best clip.

Maybe something like the Tusk with a short flat end instead of the spike would work? That or a knife with a built-in skip joint end like a SAK or one of the Clipitools?
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

An extension to the liner might do the trick.
Crazy Fox

Post by Crazy Fox »

Interesting idea, I'd find a pry bar useful (opening paint cans comes to mind).

I'm ashamed to admit that I have occasionally done a bit more with my knife than is safe for the blade, but it makes me cringe to see how some knives get abused with prying.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

You never know. I've heard of people getting locked into public restrooms and needing to use either a screwdriver or a prybar to get out; and then there are cases where one is kidnapped and stuffed into the trunk of a car, like in MacGyver type situations, it could happen in real life, where you need a knife, prybar, etc, to get out. Also, what if you're in a city and riding on public transportation, and there is a blackout, and you need to get through the plexiglass windows or the doors? Things like that.

Knife and PryBar combo = super idea.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I had a little hand in the design of this one.

ttpockettools one of one pry knife

I'd like to see a spyderco pry knife I could afford to use. The tt cost to much to abuse.

I used to use one of these but there made cheaply
xinam

Post by xinam »

Very cool! Love all the input. I too have a little pry tool, not as convenient to carry or access but is pretty nice when I actually have it, on the other hand I always have a knife :) That TT is bad to the bone!!
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Outstanding idea. I'd give up a little in springy retention of normal pocket clips to have one I could remove and use to pry.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Xinam, Crazy Fox,

Welcome to our forum.

Interesting idea. I willl often carry a separate prybar (Ed Schemnpp forged Titanium).

As Deacon mentioned, it would be very difficult to make one from a clip. To keep in with the knife would add significant weight. We can discuss it, but I don't seee a path to get there without compromising the knife.

sal