the next generation ...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
On Edge

the next generation ...

Post by On Edge »

Posted this on BF as well, but thought you guys might appreciate ....

I had an experience last night that kinda blew me away - nothing earth shattering, but feel compelled to share it with "knife brethren", as no one else will get it ...

My youngest son is 14, an active Boy Scout on the road to Eagle, and I am an Assistant Scoutmaster in his troop. Like most of us with this affliction, I am also known as the "knife guy", and I teach whittlin chip and totin chip to the scouts as part of their training ...

So last night, I'm at the weekly meeting and chatting with another leader, who loves to show me every new knife he gets - usually Kershaw or CRKT or something along those lines, and as always, I nod and smile and comment on the "good value" kershaw represents (which is true) ... and then he asks what I'm carrying - I happened to have my CRK Small Sebenza so I show it to him, knowing full well the difference will likely be lost on him for the most part, and as he's admiring it, a 12 year old Scout, new to the troop who happened to be standing nearby asks me "Is that S35VN steel?" .... and my jaw dropped open ... "why yes, son it is ... and how in the world would you come to that conclusion from 6 feet away?" ... "I heard you mention it was a Chris Reeve" he says ... again, shaking my head ... now this kid has my attention - but it gets better .... "Are you a knife collector?" says I ... "well, I only have two" says he ... "So what do you carry?" I ask ... and Brothers, this kid pulls a Camo PM2 out of his pocket and says, "just a Paramilitary 2" ... Just? Just? I wanted to hug this kid! (can't do that of course) ... 12 years old, and he "gets it" better than almost all the adults I know ... so we started talking knives and the kid knows steels, and makers and models - don't get me wrong, he's no expert here, but he definitely has some research under his belt and he carries a PM2! He asked if I would bring in some of my other knives to show him and I said sure and we parted ways ... and I've been grinning ever since.
Don't get me wrong, my Sons all know a good bit about knives - how could they not? And they each have small respectable collections themselves - but this kid, all on his own (single Mom scenario) is a "from the heart" knife guy ... !

Evidently the next generation is alive and well .... :)
Holland

Re: the next generation ...

Post by Holland »

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Awesome story, just goes to show it doesn't matter how old you are to "get it". I also have a 14yr old son and he's becoming quit the collector himself. On a recent trip to the SFO I told him and his brother they could pick out any knife they wanted as long as it was in the $150 range, my 14yr old picked of all knives the Hungarian, go figure, of course it was over the agreed upon budget but he decided that it was the one he wanted and was willing to spend his vacation money on the balance. I asked him why he picked that one and he told me he really liked the way it felt in hand and that he liked the blade shape.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

An excellent story On Edge and one that warms my heart. This kid is obviously a 3%er like many of us here. He recognizes quality and is willing to spend the money to get it. It really does give a glimmer of hope for the generations to come. I would like to think (though I am bias) that scouting can have alot to do with these type of young individuals and who they become. Cheers on the happy story!

Dan, also a great tale. Nothing better than a knife being selected for all the right reasons.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

... thanks all, it really did make my night.

Dan, that's a great story! I would love to take my boys to the SFO ... kind of a long drive from VA ...

xceptnl, I agree that Scouting puts the focus of the boys on things of that nature - the important stuff ... one of the best decisions I ever made was to expose my sons to Scouting ...
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Nice! :spyder:
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

There is hope for the future! :)

Great story, man. Thanks for sharing with us.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
sal

Post by sal »

Hi On Edge,

Great story. I also agree with you. I met a 14 year old at the factory sale. Great kid, great parents. (Mother spent the night with him waiting for the sale to open). Good values, very knowledgable, models, steel, etc., very impressive. I think there is hope for the future.

sal
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I'm only 32, but it's pretty interesting to think about how different a kid's life is nowadays. If I wanted to learn about knives, I would have had to have someone around me to tell me about it when I was 12, what with the complete lack of internet. Now a kid can get extremely well educated about any topic that interests them without even leaving the house. I guess everything hinges on how they decide to use that immense power... Glad you found a kid making good use of his internet access!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I got the bug from my grandfather.He gave me my first pocket knife when I was 8.That was in 1968(I am 55 now).It was an old german SAK style pocket knife and he told me, I remember exactly: " A pocket knife could save your life.Allways carry one ".I only have two daughters but I wish I had a son to carry on the tradition.I can only hope for a grandson because sometimes I wonder what is going to happen with my knife collection. :confused:
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

elena86 wrote:I got the bug from my grandfather.He gave me my first pocket knife when I was 8.That was in 1968(I am 55 now).It was an old german SAK style pocket knife and he told me, I remember exactly: " A pocket knife could save your life.Allways carry one ".I only have two daughters but I wish I had a son to carry on the tradition.I can only hope for a grandson because sometimes I wonder what is going to happen with my knife collection. :confused:
Agreed. I (we) don't have any children (yet), but I often wonder the same thing. At this point in life, I don't have anyone to bequeath my collection to in the event I head off to the "happy hunting grounds." :rolleyes:

EDIT: Oh wait, that's not entirely true. I now recall telling my wife that she will be the sole benefactor of the collection upon my demise. I shouldn't have told her that either, because she is quite a better shot than I am with a pistol/rifle/bow. :eek: ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderOz

Post by SpyderOz »

elena86, why don't you leave them to your daughters? I'm sure they will appreciate them coming from their father.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi SpyderOz,

Welcome to our forum.

Where do you hail from?

sal
WorkingEdge

Post by WorkingEdge »

elena86 wrote:I got the bug from my grandfather.He gave me my first pocket knife when I was 8.That was in 1968(I am 55 now).It was an old german SAK style pocket knife and he told me, I remember exactly: " A pocket knife could save your life.Allways carry one ".I only have two daughters but I wish I had a son to carry on the tradition.I can only hope for a grandson because sometimes I wonder what is going to happen with my knife collection. :confused:
Two daughters myself. It's not too bad. I once laid out a Techno, Southard, Manix XL S90V, K2, and Tuff on a table and asked my older 5 year daughter which one she liked. I thought for sure she would say Techno, but she said the one with the polka dots. See, I have the Tuff already assigned. 30 more to go!
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Great story! Sounds like you made a new best friend! I just had to let out a good chuckle at the "just a Paramilitary 2" part. God bless his mom for letting him have one at that age. My parents were paranoid and I had to practically lobby congress for a $3 SAK knock off.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Cool story. Thanks for sharing.
Donut

Post by Donut »

That's very cool. At that age, I didn't get it, so he's above and beyond me. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Great story. Kudos to the kid
I think that the bug is in every man genes. It comes from our ancestors, who were hunters, foragers, craftsmen and warriors. In some men it is burred deeper that in the others.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

SpyderOz wrote:elena86, why don't you leave them to your daughters? I'm sure they will appreciate them coming from their father.
That, or maybe I'll just decide to give away most of my knives to "scout" kids from my community.I am sure most of them dream to own at least one Spyderco and they will appreciate every inch of it.I allready gave away a few and one of them had tears in his eyes.I felt so guilty in those moments for being such a selfish collector but so happy in the same time.Of course I will " have" to keep a Spyderco grail and maybe I'll ask my daughters to place it in my grave when I die :) .The question is : which one ? :D
SpyderOz

Post by SpyderOz »

sal wrote:Hi SpyderOz,

Welcome to our forum.

Where do you hail from?

sal
Hi Sal

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm from Australia, so you already know how hard it is for is Aussies to get access to your amazing tools.

I'm also Spyder on ABF, so you might run into me there.

Proud owner of:

Dragonfly 2, g10
Delica 4, orange frn
Street Bowie
Street Beat

Hoping Santa is kind this year! :)