Disappointed With Caly 3.5

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ncrockclimb

Disappointed With Caly 3.5

Post by ncrockclimb »

I have been lurking on this site for a while, and I LOVE my Spyderco knives. I have 7 different Spyderco products, my most loved being a fully serrated model from the early 90's that my father gave me as a b-day gift. That knife is still going strong, and the rest of my Spyderco products work great!

Yesterday I received my new Caly 3.5 in the mail. I was very excited about this kinfe and expected it to become one of my new favorites. It was not what I expected. The action on the blade was VERY stiff and felt gritty. This was so extreme that the knife was actually difficult to operate. Also, there was also a small blemish on the G10. I purchased the knife from a reputable and big online knife retailer, and they are going to refund my money.

I am not writing this to bash Spyderco. I am a huge fan of the company and their products. The purpose of my post it towfold; to provide consumer feedback regarding the product and to see if others have had a similar experience. If this was a "one off" lemon, I might try ordering another Caly 3.5. However, if this is common, I might just pass on this model.

Thanks for reading. I look forward hearing about other folks experience with the Caly 3.5.
Holland

Re: Disappointed With Caly 3.5

Post by Holland »

I've had 2 caly 3.5s and neither had the gritty feeling. My chaparral 2 on the other hand has been used for construction a lot and I have a lot of experience with the gritty feeling with that knife. What i usually do when they get gritty is just run water on the pivot while pushing up and down on the lock bar. then add a drop of oil on the same spot and its good as new from my experience
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

The G10 blemish sounds like a fluke, but I do remember people reporting a gritty feel from their Calys in the past. I think a soapy water wash and a blast with some compressed air fixed the issue, but I haven't personally dealt with this problem.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Just add a couple drops of oil, and she'll be smooth as glass. My Caly3.5 and my Al Mar Eagle HD - both made in Moki were the same way and, after just two drops of M-Pro7, both are very smooth. The Caly 3.5, imo is one of the best edc knives you can get.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

The grit is a problem experienced by many with the caly series. It is solved by either running soap and water through the pivot like mentioned above or by removing the pivot and blade so that you can really get in there. Once that is sorted out it typically becomes smooth as butter. I've personally experienced the grittiness you're talking about on 5 or 6 individual knives ranging from the caly 3, 3.5 as well as the caly 3 super blue and 3.5 super blue.

I don't mind fixing it and carrying on, but there is nothing wrong with others not being happy and getting a refund.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Not being a knife flicker, I appreciate the stiff detent and lack of a swing free closing action. If you do not see yourself appreciating that feature you probably will never love it. Mine did require the hot water and soap treatment too, but this will never flick and spyderdrop like a Millie or Endura. Again, I have come to love these features and that is why it is my favorite.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

This may be what Sal was referring to when he posted recently about this maker having "issues" (his word). :(
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

I want to get a 3.5 before they go away. So if you are disappointed with yours... :D
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Don't know much about the slight blemish of the G-10, but the initial stiff action is quite common for the Spydercos without washers.
They smoothen out pretty quickly after a few days of use.
A little bit of extra lube might help.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Wait, the Caly 3.5 lacks bearings? (Or washers, if you call them by part and not function). How does that work out?
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Wanimator wrote:Wait, the Caly 3.5 lacks bearings? (Or washers, if you call them by part and not function). How does that work out?
The tang of the blade and the liners are polished.
It's the old-fashioned way to built knives, not many contemporary manufacturers are capable to do this.
Almost all Moki-made lockbacks don't have washers, for example:
All Calypsos/Calys, the Kiwis, the JD Smith, the Ocelot, the Massad Ayoob, all Kopas, all Persians
Donut

Post by Donut »

Try adding a little lube to the pivot. A couple of my Caly's have come with less lube than I prefer.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
computernut

Post by computernut »

The Caly's are easy to clean having no washers, take out pivot and drop the blade out (wrap a tie-wrap or something around lock to make it easier to put back together again). Don't know if Spyderco classifies this as "disassembly" ;)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Almost every Moki backlock I've gotten have been stiff and gritty (like 4 out of 5). The gritty gets fixed with a bit of time and mineral oil. They get less stiff over time by working them.

Tolerances are very tight so a little grit (if it exists) can make for tough operation. They are still some of my favorite designs and knives though with a little TLC.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Get a good Torx bit set, take the pivot screw and blade off, wipe down the blade and pivot area until clean, reassemble and lube and you'll be good to go. I promise you won't be disappointed in the knife after you complete this task. It is very common with this series, and very easily fixed. Good luck!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
sal

Post by sal »

Hi NCrockclimb,

Welcome to our forum.

Sorry for your negative experience. Perhaps next time will be better?

sal
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

I just traded for a G-10 Caly 3.5 and I love it. I like the G-10 Caly 3s even more. I bought 2 in the last few weeks.

I really need to get another G-10 Caly 3.5 before they are as hard to find as the 3s.

None of mine were gritty. They opened as smooth as butter. But since they were all "used" I'm sure someone cleaned them out. It's really not uncommon for production knives to have some production materials left over from the manufacturing process. And it's easy enough to clean.

I'm weird but I also sharpen new knives too. There's no way a manufacturer is going to spend the time to polish the edge. Or if they did, I can't imagine what the cost would be.

Good luck with your new Caly!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

My kiwi was gritty. A dash of nano-oil and it was as smooth as glass.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Not to hijack the thread but will this work on the sprint worker also? Mine came very stiff and gritty, I've been working it for about a week now and it is getting better but its still stiff feeling.
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

I have a little Persian which was hard to operate at first. Water, oil and breaking in the lock/pivot did the job-as smooth as the Pelican I had to treat the same way, falling freely when the lock is disengaged.

Caly 3.5s can also get to the other extreme!!
My CF nicks my finger everytime I forget the choil disappears in the handle and doesn't save my forefinger when closed one-handed. The blade falls like a guillotine, from the moment I took it out of the box! If the design and ergonomics are what you are looking for I would give the Caly 3.5 another try!