What PM2 sprint do you want to see the most? (poll)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What steel for a PM2 sprint run?

CPM-M4
35%
CPM-S110V
21%
CPM-15V
3%
CPM-10V
3%
CPM-3V
2%
CPM-Cruwear
7%
K390
19%
CTS-B75P
4%
CTS-BD30P
1%
Other (please specify in thread)
5%

Total votes: 100

SpyderNut

Re: What PM2 sprint do you want to see the most? (poll)

Post by SpyderNut »

I voted M4 mainly because I would like to see more of this steel in Spyderco's line-up. The PM2 is OK, but there are many other models I would like to see get the M4 upgrade first. :)
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

I voted other.
I'd buy an M4 for sure. I'd buy an S110V for sure. I'd buy a K390 probably.
I really want a 4V in either the PM2 or millie though.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

dogrunner wrote: I really want a 4V in either the PM2 or millie though.
Ditto, though the Mule will obviously see 4V first, and I suspect the Millie will see it before the PM2.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

I voted M4, with burgundy micarta or desert ironwood would be amazing IMHO. Cruwear would be my second choice.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Nice poll GS. S110V for me, and it better be the steel used in the fluted Ti PM2. I would also like to see a 10V one as well.

Now, I will of course buy the M4 and Cruwear versions when they are finally produced, and look forward to seeing the possible scale color/texture options. I bet we'll see (or at least I hope we'll see) a diamond checkered version, either in burgundy (for M4) and navy blue (for the Cruwear). Here's some nice burgundy G10 on one of my Manix 2's (a RIT dye job on the pink scales).

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I voted for the CPM-10V, really wanted to try it out on the K2 but just cant pull the trigger on one, for various reasons.
paladin

Post by paladin »

I voted "other"...

I know my choice would be considered "meh" especially with the poll competition it's up against...

But, I would love to see a Sprint PM2 in boring old Bohler Superclean M390... :rolleyes:

Much better for me than a Dealer Exclusive for this wundersteel...

Because with a wider release maybe, just maybe, I'd have a fair shot at snagging one for a reasonable price :eek:
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

I tool a ride on the M4 band wagon because it is great and I need some M4 in my life.

Like others have said it would have to be a good scale color or if I can dream Desert Ironwood to have a chance to boot my CTS-204P out of fave Para 2 status though.

110V is a great option imo but hope it would be a new production model not so much a sprint.

10V was a very close second but still have a K2 on the dream list so for the sake of variety in the collection went with the M4.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Who am I kidding, I would buy 'em all!
Bradley Folder 2 CPM M4
Military ​​​CTS XHP​ - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​
Para Military 2CTS​ XHP - CTS 204P
Manix 2 CTS XHP - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​ - CPM​ M4
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Cameron wrote:Who am I kidding, I would buy 'em all!
That of course is the only real answer. ;) Still, my first choice would be K390. There's plenty of M4 in various knives at this point - I vote for something more exotic. :spyder:
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I voted K390. I loved it in the Mule, but sadly don't get the chance to carry that as much as I would like. The obvious answer would be a folder. I would honestly prefer the Military to the Para 2, but if Sal makes it, I will buy it. He could make it in the LWT Native or even the UKPK and I would still likely buy.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

WireEdge Roger wrote:I love BG-42, it's a very nostalgic steel for me. So, since B75P is suppose to be a clone, I voted for it.
I'm with you on this, B75P just disappeared after the mule and I'm not sure why.

Also, LC 200 N. We need a nitrogen steel PM2.

I'm all about corrosion resistance in a folder.
BTG

Post by BTG »

They already did my first choice( Elmax ) 110 would be cool....super blue even better.
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

I voted CPM-15V
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

I voted other because I want some 4V in my hand. 4v seems to make sense for a thin blade meant for EDC. Tough with great edge retention. With the blade profile, I'd actually be a little concerned with steels like 10V or K390 being too brittle or weak. If 4v isn't feasible, then I'd like to see 3V for 2nd place and M4 for 3rd. I probably wouldn't consider anything else.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Bodog wrote: With the blade profile, I'd actually be a little concerned with steels like 10V or K390 being too brittle or weak. If 4v isn't feasible, then I'd like to see 3V for 2nd place and M4 for 3rd. I probably wouldn't consider anything else.

Hardly..

This is A11 (CPM 10V) with SAK blade geometry.

This is CPM 10V @ .012" behind the edge.

This is CPM 10V, Spyderco K2.

This is the K390 Mule Team.

This is A11 (K294) @ .010" behind the edge.

This is CPM 10V @ .004" behind the edge..

Bodog

Post by Bodog »

This sounds crazy, but a lot of people use their knives for more than simple cutting, good, bad, or indifferent, it's the truth. I've had to awl hardwood before on the fly. I have to stab into things where I'm not quite sure what's on others side. I've had to use my knives as wedges on the side of ah road in the middle of the night. I've had to cut radial tires. I've had to use my knife to pry all kinds of crap. A knife should be able to do that and at this point I don't have have enough faith in that class of steel to handle it with thin grinds. Having said that, I do want thin blades, but I also want a laterally strong knife with decent impact toughness that won't easily break and that also has good edge retention. My EDC purposes are much more abusive than yours, I'm sure. Hence my desire for steels that are tougher than A11 class steels.

And for whatever it's worth, Im also sure the work you have pictured could been done with almost any steel at any reasonable hardness, even a brittle knife can do some carving and whittling duties you pictured. I bet an opinel could perfrom that work easily. Not saying those knives you have pictured are poor quality, far from it, but those photos don't adequately portray a full breadth of duties an EDC knife would be called upon to perform. Opening mail and cutting open some small boxes a couple of times a month doesn't exactly demand a high performance steel, either. Slicing cardboard and rope is a great single scope test, but hardly anything enough to judge a high performance steel.

Now, you and I have agreed that the 4V class of steels are likely to prove itself as an extremely high performance steel. I still feel the same way, but that's because I recognize strengths that that the steel may show outside of edge retention alone, although edge retention is a big factor obviously.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Bodog wrote:This sounds crazy, but a lot of people use their knives for more than simple cutting, good, bad, or indifferent, it's the truth. I've had to awl hardwood before on the fly. I have to stab into things where I'm not quite sure what's on others side. I've had to use my knives as wedges on the side of ah road in the middle of the night. I've had to cut radial tires. I've had to use my knife to pry all kinds of crap. A knife should be able to do that and at this point I don't have have enough faith in that class of steel to handle it with thin grinds. Having said that, I do want thin blades, but I also want a laterally strong knife with decent impact toughness that won't easily break and that also has good edge retention. My EDC purposes are much more abusive than yours, I'm sure. Hence my desire for steels that are tougher than A11 class steels.

And for whatever it's worth, Im also sure the work you have pictured could been done with almost any steel at any reasonable hardness, even a brittle knife can do some carving and whittling duties you pictured. I bet an opinel could perfrom that work easily. Not saying those knives you have pictured are poor quality, far from it, but those photos don't adequately portray a full breadth of duties an EDC knife would be called upon to perform. Opening mail and cutting open some small boxes a couple of times a month doesn't exactly demand a high performance steel, either. Slicing cardboard and rope is a great single scope test, but hardly anything enough to judge a high performance steel.

Now, you and I have agreed that the 4V class of steels are likely to prove itself as an extremely high performance steel. I still feel the same way, but that's because I recognize strengths that that the steel may show outside of edge retention alone, although edge retention is a big factor obviously.
Why would you need high impact toughness on a 3.5" FOLDER for any reasonable type of use..

That said, CPM 10V is a tool steel, it's NOT weak at all.

I have whittled nails with it personally.

Impact toughness is highly over rated for folders and smaller fixed blades.

The PM2 isn't a folding pry bar to begin with.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Oh, and before you reply, I'd like to own each one of those knives. If you want, you can send me one to use as my EDC you see if they hold up.

And I'm not looking for a folding pry bar. My mule holds up great and that's by no means a thick blade.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Bodog wrote:Oh, and before you reply, I'd like to own each one of those knives. If you want, you can send me one to use as my EDC you see if they hold up.

Send me about $3,000 and I will think about it.

Or you can contact Darrin Sanders and try and work out getting a CPM 10V blade from him.

It won't be cheap though. ;)