I dislike the Para...I can't be alone

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
OldHoosier62

I dislike the Para...I can't be alone

Post by OldHoosier62 »

I've tried, honestly I have. I have owned every conceivable configuration of both the Para and the Para 2.....and I just don't like it.

I don't know why, it just doesn't fit me. I love compression locks and Spyderco steel is....well, Spyderco steel, and the G-10 is fine but I guess the proportions are just out of whack for me.

I normally EDC either a Police,a Chinook 3 or a Military but have no problems carrying a Dodo, Rookie, Endura/Delica as a primary....So, am I nuts or just picky?????

Do YOU have one that you just don't like...no matter what you do??
Popsickle

Re: I dislike the Para...I can't be alone

Post by Popsickle »

I've had a few that I wanted to like but just couldn't.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

No knife is going to please everyone, and I reckon that is why there are so many models in the catalog. The Yojimbo 2 has a pretty big fan club, but that one just did not do it for me. Doesn't mean that it's a bad design, it just didn't fit me.

When I got my first para 2, I thought it was amazing and still think that it is a great knife, but over time I have found other models that fit me better. With a couple of ergonomic tweaks it would probably be my all time favorite, but these days it takes a back seat to the military and the manix.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I feel the same way about the Military...it is "THE" knife that everyone loves, but I just don't get it. The PM2, on the other hand, is probably my favorite Spyder. Different knives for different people, I guess, and that's why Spyderco is so great--they have so many different offerings!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

No, you aren't nuts or being overly picky. I think most folks here (myself included) would agree that they have models they like moreso than others.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

You better watch your mouth!

Just kidding. :)

Our hands are all as different as our preferences for grinds, blade shapes and handle sizes so it is really just different strokes for different folks in the end.

The beauty of spyderco is that they try to make something for everybody.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

No, you're not nuts at all. What would be nuts is to keep using something that doesn't work for you, just cause "everyone else is doing it."
:bug-red-white
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

I don't dislike the Para, but I have fallen out of love with it a bit. Everything about the knife is wonderful from a practical standpoint, it is lightweight, has a strong, user-friendly lock, good blade shape/grinds, and overall pretty excellent ergos.

But it doesn't get carried in my pocket anymore. With knives like the Southard as my current EDC fave, and an upcoming Rubicon, the Para feels "cheap" in comparison. Granted, that is entirely based on just how the knife feels while flicking it open and closed. It has nothing to do with practicality and function, but since I already have those 2 covered, high-end production is my current priority.

Of the Golden Spyders I really prefer the Manix. Luckily, I haven't bought a Spyderco knife that I ended up disliking.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I remember seeing and fondling both for the first time at store in Tennessee. I liked the Military hands down. I just didn't take to the Para 2.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It's a very balanced knife (attribute wise) which makes it a tad boring. Like the Stretch; it's hard to fault it but doesn't scream quirky enough for me to die for. I prefer the Manix2 a bit more. Also a very practical and usable knife just with a bit more "oomph" in the style dept.

Just my highly subjective and unreasoned 2 pennies :p. I love the PM2 but prefer others. I'll buy and keep one eventually!
delphidoc

Post by delphidoc »

My PM2 carries in my pocket better, but my Manixes fit my hand better and get more pocket time than the PM2. I guess it depends on the size and shape of your hand and fingers. Love the lock and blade, though.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I'm not a PM2 fan at all...never have been. But it is an average sized knife with average everything and so a lot of people like it. IMO it needs some ergo tweaks, a longer blade to balance out the blade to handle ratio, small spydie hole and then the lock needs refining and moving to the other side...then maybe I'd like it. But since none of those are likely to happen...I buy the ones with steel I like, and use occasionally...but mostly focus on other models.
On the hunt for...
timlara

Post by timlara »

Blerv wrote:It's a very balanced knife (attribute wise) which makes it a tad boring.
I was actually thinking this same thing earlier today when wondering why I haven't been carrying my PM2s much lately. It's not that there's anything *wrong* with the design at all...more that it's so perfectly balanced and I'm just so used to it that I've been drawn to some of my more unfamiliar or "fun" knives lately, such as my Domino for example, just because it's entertaining to play with the flipper. The flipper is totally unnecessary and doesn't *really* enhance the function of the knife at all, and technically I actually prefer the compression lock over the RIL, but I've just really been enjoying carrying the Domino more lately.

Hoosier: You're not nuts or picky, just not every knife fits every person. I applaud you for giving the PM2 a fair chance and posting your opinion in a reasonable, non-trolling / non-flame-war-ish way. Nothing wrong with that.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Hated it, the compression lock pinched my hand every time I opened it.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Nope it is just you.

Strange little man.

Just kidding by the way.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I'm still waiting to like mine. I know it'll eventually come. I've had it for 3 years, I think. The lock pinches me, for one thing.
- best wishes, Jazz.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

No knife works for everyone. I love my PM2's and carry them all the time (Especially the 204P), but I can't seem to warm up to my Caly 3 or 3.5 enough to carry them often. I like the design and it feels good, but it somehow just doesn't mesh with me very well somehow. Now my Caly Jr. on the other hand...so fantastic I don't mind tip down only. I like having a Caly 3 and 3.5 for my collection, but they just don't seem to find their way into my pocket any more...it's a good thing we have so many great options to choose from.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

3rdGenRigger wrote:No knife works for everyone.
What he said.

Still shocked about how much the Para 2 fits me though. But as he said everyone is different.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Reject

Post by Reject »

OldHoosier62 wrote:....So, am I nuts or just picky?????
Image Nuts say I... nuts.... nuts .... nuts ...... NUTS
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wouldn't say I dislike it, but I definitely have moved on to other knives as my primary carry.