Where did the Tuff love go?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vaisforlovers

Where did the Tuff love go?

Post by vaisforlovers »

A little over 5 years ago, I began lurking on these forums. At the time, the anticipation of the Tuff was easily found here. Many, though not everyone, was looking forward to the oversized pivot, the sheer size, the dare I say: Tuffness.

Then it was released in the summer of 2012. There was the initial and usual "look at my new knife" post. Then we collectively went radio silent. Why?

I have to say I like owning mine, but don't carry it because it doesn't fill any role well. It is too big to EDC. Is that why, or is it something else? Is it an object of mechanical and engineering art only? Why don't we see any more Tuff love?

Thoughts on why It wasn't more popular and why it was discontinued after only 2.5 years?
Bill1170

Re: Where did the Tuff love go?

Post by Bill1170 »

I don't own a Tuff, but I noticed this, too. For me personally, the design of the Tuff was "interesting," but not compelling. The whole package seemed to me to be somehow less than the sum of its parts. This is the opposite of Spyderco's best designs that so often total more than the sum of their parts. The paper specs sounded cool, but the final result felt "meh" to me.
Invective

Post by Invective »

I picked up a Tuff when I heard it was being disco'd. Got it, re-profiled it to 30 inclusive with a 40 micro and it's a great knife but for the size of the knife and the amount of edge you get, that can be a big turnoff for people. On my list of Spyderco knife ratios, it's 321st out of 361 on cutting edge to overall length (33.90% of the overall length is cutting edge) and 305th in cutting edge to handle length (the blade is 58.25% the length of the handle). Comparing this to knives in it's size range (8.85 inches overall), it is similar to the Barong, but compared to the Manix2XL (8.94'' overall, with 37.58% of overall length as cutting edge and blade length 66.01% of handle length), Endura4 Emerson (8.812'' overall, with 39.00% of overall length as cutting edge and blade length 68.76% of handle length), Endura4 (8.75' overall, with 39.29% of overall length as cutting edge and blade length 70.52% of handle length) I assume many people opt for the greater blade length especially at the lower prices.

The 3V steel is one of the big pluses of this knife and one of the main reasons I wanted to pick it up. I am happy with the purchase however, it is a great knife and I expect to be able to use it hard but it for the amount of blade you get in the size there are more economic choices that I think sway people to the other choices.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I've wondered this myself...I really like mine and it's in my top 5 all time favourite knives. I carry mine regularly and it carries a lot less obtrusively than it has any right to for such a beefy knife. I don't mind the short-ish cutting edge because on this style of knife I find the enlongated finger choil gives more grip options, and there's more than enough belly to compensate...and a knife like this is going to be used mainly for push cutting anyways. As I've said...it's in my top 5 all time favourites.

All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

No question the Tuff will perform but it's unconventional looking more than Ed usually takes his knives. I'm all performance yet I even find myself wanting to explain or defend it's looks. :) It's an excellent knife though and built extremely well. I wouldn't get rid of mine even if I had another designed just for me. It's one that would be missed if it was discoed and it would suddenly get really popular.

Joe
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

The edge length to choil ratio was the deal breaker for me.
Lonehunter

Post by Lonehunter »

I'm on board with Chuck !

I was so looking forward to that knife, the thing I don't care for on my Striders is the short amount of edge. Was so disappointed to see Spyderco do the same. Never even considered it after that.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I like mine a lot, but it fills a specific niche and I can understand that the design will not appeal to everyone. I bought it instead of a small fixed blade to carry while outdoors and camping. Even then I still pair it with a slicer like a thinned out PM2 or Manix.

I have a 6 inch fixed blade in 3V. The steel have impressed me a lot in terms of how tough it is and how much abuse the edge can take without damage (processing hard knotty wood). It is easy to sharpen, and corrosion resistance is also very good for a non-stainless. For those reasons I could not ignore the Tuff.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
78lilred

Post by 78lilred »

A lot of people say the edge length is a deal breaker but for my uses it does fine, the thick blade stock and wedge grind is the downfall. With that being said still sees regular pocket time cleaning wild game, limbing many trees/bushes and home improvement tasks. I find choking up on the blade for finer work, especially if force is needed. is a better grip than the Manix XL/Military/K2 in my hands ergonomics wise. There's an initial 1 month carry picture thread that I made awhile back for random tasks.
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

I really appreciate everyone's replies, with particular thanks to Invective for researching the length- stats and to 3rdGenRigger for posting great pics of a great modded handle.

To this date, the Tuff is my largest folder, in terms of taking up pocket real estate. For that reason I didn't carry it and for about a year it lived in my Garage tool chest. There it cut any and all I needed it to; radiator hoses, serpentine belts, weed wacker string. It makes a wonderful FOLDING knife, but for me, not so great a POCKET knife.

I wish it had more love.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Knives that garner the most passion are rarely the best sellers. The Tuff joins knives like the Superhawk, Barong and Khukuri (plus many others) that had exceptionally short lives despite how undeniably impressive they were.

The more specialized the knife the more niche the audience. Large knives in 3V that cost $200 I would think make Spyderco a fraction of the sales that more "well rounded" models like the Delica, Endura and Native. If dropping the Tuff gives Taichung the chance to make another slam-dunk seller, while sad to see, it's good for the company and makers.

Personally if the Tuff had a 3.5" blade and more cutting edge I would have bought one. Maybe if it was more boring (drop point, straight handle) others would have eaten it up. Making predictable knives isn't really Ed's style though. That's a good thing, IMHO. I appreciate his efforts for my collection even if the cool kids at the mall don't always.