domino vs rubicon POLL

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

which is your favorite

Domino
70%
Rubicon
30%

Total votes: 30

Popsickle

domino vs rubicon POLL

Post by Popsickle »

Im considering the 204p domino vs the rubicon. Just wondering what others think :)
GoldenSpydie

Re: domino vs rubicon POLL

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Domino 204P because I don't like recurves, 204P is an upgrade over S30V, the Domino is cheaper, it is an exclusive (will become rarer), and I like blue G10.

Last edited by GoldenSpydie on Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Domino is one seriously fine Spydie imo.
Fantastic ergos, and the 204p is awesome. It carries extremely well, flips extremely well. Its hard to beat on so many levels imo. A Taichung treasure, as I'm sure the Rubicon is as well, maybe one of the nicest Spydies to come out. But for me, I say Domino.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Rubicon for sure even with S30V! You get great design and execution. The CF alone is worth over $200! I got my Rubicon for $275 and the Domino CTS-204P / Blue G-10 will cost $290.85 (CA Tax + Shipping)!

The regular Domino with CTS-XHP and CF/G-10 is a really good value at $160!
Last edited by RamZar on Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Sprint/exclusive before production. You'll get both eventually anyway.
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Definitely the Domino!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I want the rubicon so bad I can taste it. However, I own the Blue Domino and I can say, that it is one of my favourite knives. I think you're getting more for your money with the Blue Domino. But like others have said, you'll get both. I know I will.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
swigert

Post by swigert »

I'm not a recurve fan or a fan of the clip on the Rubicon. Domino for me!
quickster47

Post by quickster47 »

I've owned the Rubion for a couple of weeks and used it almost every day in one way or another and can't imagine the plain old little Domio being better.

Rubicon all the way!!!

Carl

Last edited by quickster47 on Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gibbs rule #9. Never go anywhere without a knife.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Oh man, I love my BBS domino, it's got to be some of the finest work I've seen out of Taiwan, the fit and finish is just out of this world, mine came with perfect centering and buttery smooth action with a perfect detent, it flips open with the lightest touch.

I did get a chance to handle rubicon while at SFO and it is a nice piece but not $300 nice and I'm not a big fan of the blade grind but it did feel great in hand.
Last edited by farnorthdan on Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Do you mean the recurve? Because I found the grind (not the blade style) on the Rubicon to be very nice from the pictures I've seen.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Do you mean the recurve? Because I found the grind (not the blade style) on the Rubicon to be very nice from the pictures I've seen.
You are correct LC I meant the blade shape not the grind, just not a big fan of that shape, the knife really was fantastic in the hand and if it was in the $200 range I would pick one up.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Id be paying around 255 for a blue domino and the rubicon at 275 makes them in the same price bracket

RamZar wrote:Rubicon for sure even with S30V! You get great design and execution. The CF alone is worth over $200! I got my Rubicon for $275 and the Domino CTS-204P / Blue G-10 will cost $290.85 (CA Tax + Shipping)!

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Popsickle wrote:Id be paying around 255 for a blue domino and the rubicon at 275 makes them in the same price bracket

RamZar wrote:Rubicon for sure even with S30V! You get great design and execution. The CF alone is worth over $200! I got my Rubicon for $275 and the Domino CTS-204P / Blue G-10 will cost $290.85 (CA Tax + Shipping)!

Then sell the Lil Matriarch and be in it for basically the same as the XHP Domino.
timlara

Post by timlara »

BBS Domino for me, no contest. It has pretty much turned all my other Spydies into safe queens since I got it! The only thing that would make it more perfect for me would be if it had a wire clip like the Manix2.

I handled a Rubicon at the SFO and while the craftsmanship is exquisite -- it seriously looks and feels like a custom piece -- the ergos and blade shape are just not my cup of tea.

As cool as all the Spyderco collaboration knives are, for me the ergos on the Glessers' in-house designs are always just too darn good to beat.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Voted Rubicon! The Southard raised the bar quite a lot, but the Rubicon raises it again substancially. The CF is sweet, the contours are gorgeous, the grind is awesome and the inlaid pivot collar is custom quality :)
On the otherhand I had 2 Dominos, CF and Blue CF, both are gone... not my thing the Domino, I dislike the short wide blade (I'm not a Manix fan aswell, just can't connect with it). I gave the Domino two tries and both failed, compared to the Rubicon the Domino is an ugly knife, I know Spyderco doesn't care about the looks but I do :D
Only advantage the Domino has imo is the steel lock insert, The Rubicon has just like the Slysz Bowie a very late lockup, my Rubicon came out of the box with 60% lockup and has moved to 70%. I keep using it to see what the evolution will be. But I'm confident it will stay around 70%, just like the southard did move over a bit in the beginning, but after 1,5 year in my pocket hasn't moved since it settled in.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

One other thing that I noticed when handling a Rubicon is that the liner lock is flush with the opposite scale, which makes it fairly difficult to disengage. I have the same problem with the Gayle Bradley, and people seem to be fine with it, so I guess it is just personal preference.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

GoldenSpydie wrote:One other thing that I noticed when handling a Rubicon is that the liner lock is flush with the opposite scale, which makes it fairly difficult to disengage. I have the same problem with the Gayle Bradley, and people seem to be fine with it, so I guess it is just personal preference.
The GB was intentionally designed like that. Not sure about the Rubicon
And thx again for Turing me on to the 204p Domino :)
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

GoldenSpydie wrote:One other thing that I noticed when handling a Rubicon is that the liner lock is flush with the opposite scale, which makes it fairly difficult to disengage. I have the same problem with the Gayle Bradley, and people seem to be fine with it, so I guess it is just personal preference.
Its bearly noticable but the liner on the lockside is a 1mm longer in the finger groove and with the has agressive jimping, it grabs onto my tumb quite easily. So no problem with me for unlocking.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Like I said, it doesn't seem to bother most people, but it is the only reason that I don't have a GB. :) (I plan to get one at some point and grind out a divot opposite the lock.)