Would you keep this Southard?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
-F1

Would you keep this Southard?

Post by -F1 »

I'm gifting a friend with a black Southard (I know, I'm great, aren't I?). I just received this one from a reputable dealer, and I know it's not a fake.

Anyway, the recipient is the pickiest person I've ever known. So when I saw that the lock on this one is starting out at almost 2/3 of the way over, I wondered if I should exchange it for a new one. (I can't keep this one and give away my Southard instead, as mine has obvious scratches/marks on it.)

There's also a tiny area where the black coating has been ground away, just above where the frame lock meets the tang. The frame lock doesn't touch that spot, so it's not a wear mark.

Also--I have a Southard of my own for comparison, and what's strange is that I swear I can tell that the lock on this one is stronger. I literally mean it takes more effort to disengage the lock. Not because of the extra distance, but the actual amount of force involved to move (not to disengage) the frame lock. It's not "lock stick", it's the strength of the frame lock itself. It's not hugely noticeable or really a problem, but if you pay attention, you can tell.
lock01.jpg
Liquid Cobra

Re: Would you keep this Southard?

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Seems fine to me, but I'm no frame lock expert. I would say, if it's good enough for you it should be good enough for him. I included a shot of mine if that helps.

If he's not happy with it, I'll be your friend :)
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I agree with LC. Mines prolly 50-55% and, it she is just great. Keep it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mine started off at about 35% and settled in at about 40%. I prefer lockup to be at about 50%.
-F1

Post by -F1 »

Thanks for the replies.

I just noticed that there are wear marks on the tang on not just the front but also on the rear, where the frame lock engages. My own Southard has them only on the front. I'm no expert but I thought that only the front should be making contact...
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

If you use your knives, you won't have to worry about looking at them under a microscope. Scratches are a natural problem with coated metal that you plan to do anything with. ;)
-F1

Post by -F1 »

No, what I'm getting at about the wear marks on the rear of the tang isn't a cosmetic issue, but whether it could mean the lock is defective. (I am not making this claim; I am just wondering based on my limited knowledge.)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I hope its okay. The Southard, is one of my very favorite Spydies. Can you post some more pics maybe?
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

I wouldn't worry about the later lockup, lock wear is not a concern with the Southard's framelock. Mine came at ~50% BNIB and hasn't moved much that I can tell by eye.

I can't see the imperfection in the coating you mention, but maybe I'm not fully understanding exactly where it is.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

My Southard is at 50-60% lockup. It did move over a bit in the beginning, but after 1,5 year in my pocket hasn't moved since it settled in. The Rubicon has just like the Slysz Bowie an even later lockup! So his one is good, no worries.
-F1

Post by -F1 »

I really appreciate the replies. I think I will be keeping this bad boy for myself. (I have a Manix2 I can pass off as new to give as a gift. :) )

A few posts up, I mentioned that the frame lock on this one is stiffer than on my own Southard. (I know it sounds crazy, but it's absolutely true. I'd say it takes at least 25% more effort to disengage the lock on this one.) The bonus, though, is that the closed position detent is also stronger. So, it stays closed more securely and opens with much more authority than my old Southard does. I like that.

The lock on this unit started at ~50% and now it's at ~65% after about an hour of fiddling. This bothered me at first, but I'm guessing that it won't keep moving noticeably.

The cosmetic issue on the tang is really trivial. You'd laugh if I posted a picture that pointed it out. My old Southard has a spot on the spine of the blade where the black coating wasn't applied properly, which is more noticeable than this issue.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Good man. That Southard will be just fine.
And, a Manix is a great gift :)
78lilred

Post by 78lilred »

You aren't alone on the detent, I have an earlier Southard and a friend of mine picked up a newer DLC that has a much tighter detent and flips better. Both deploy fine but side by side there is a difference.
-F1

Post by -F1 »

I've found a way to unlock it that makes it easier: I keep it in the normal in-use position, and simply use my right index finger to pull the frame lock over. The blade readily drops down, and I can then flip it over and close it with my thumb.