Yojimassist Mod

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MountainManJim

Yojimassist Mod

Post by MountainManJim »

Morning All,

Here’s a quick post to share a mod I just made and to get some feedback. I call the below a Yojimassist and think that Mr. Janich should consider the Assist for his next modification. The knife has huge potential for defense and hard use.

My question is, currently this regrind is a wharnie profile but I would like to grind off more to emulate more of a Yojimbo angle. What do you think??

Jim
Last edited by MountainManJim on Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twinboysdad

Re: Yojimassist Mod

Post by twinboysdad »

Love it, would look even better under my tree! Does the glass breaker still engage when squeezed? I think Assimbo sounds cool too
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

Assimbo LOL

No the glass breaker is completely disabled with this grind. I should point out that this a a factory second knife without a glass breaker. I would not suggest anyone void their warranty with this mod.

Jim
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Very cool-looking mod on a knife I've never had the pleasure of holding, but really want to! Nice work Jim! :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

I like this a lot. I think if it was a PE it would be a great slicer.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

I like it. Lots of potential.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Actually looks really cool. I'd leave it as is. Still a good stabber with a strong tip. Very nice.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I like it. If you want to take it further I think it will look quite nice. I think it would look cool if you straighten out the curve between the tip and the first ridge on the spine. Maybe put a piece of white tape over it and get an idea of what it will look like.

Or if you want to do something more subtle just keep the curve but take some more metal off to give it a bit pointier tip? Here's a salt I did that I took down to a bit finer tip.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Or just swedge it.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Milkman

Post by Milkman »

Not an entirely new concept. Here's a post from Michael Janich about his Rescue-jimbo.
Michael Janich wrote:Way back when the first generation Yojimbo was still in development I was itching to carry the design. With inspiration from one of my students at the time (who worked in Spyderco's factory) I reground a 93mm Rescue model to a wharncliffe profile. It became my carry "RescueJimbo" for a while until the real deal was released.

If you have Photoshop or a similar graphics program, it's easy to "visualize" modifications like this. If not, a photocopier and some blanks paper goes a long way.

Stay safe,

Mike
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Here're my swedges for example...

- best wishes, Jazz.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Jazz wrote:Actually looks really cool. I'd leave it as is. Still a good stabber with a strong tip. Very nice.
What he said!!!! :D John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

I've seen one like that somewhere ... ;) http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=64" target="_blank

Gordon
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

Wow, some great feedback. I didn't know we had some many people modifying their knives in a similar way. I’ve never seen the Assist II before, pretty cool.

So, last night (before I saw everyone’s posts) I did end up grinding the blade to a more acute angle. I really like it now; very pointy. The tip angle is approximately the same as the Endura 1 tip. It might be almost prefect. And, yes, I did slip up and hit the side of the blade; dang it. I should have taped up the blade before grinding, but I get excited.

Note, I too am not new to grinding rescue knives like this. Naturally, in design, there is nothing new under sun.

One thing that did slow me down on this project was the VG-10 steel. Wow, is it ever hard. The Byrd blades (and I imagine the H-1) are much softer and quicker to grind. No wonder why the knife companys charge a premium for the high hardness steels. Though I would guess that most of the grinding of the blades is done before heat treat which would make things quicker then I experienced.

Based on the geometry of the knife, I find that the Yojimassist is a much stronger self defense knife than the Yojimbo (sorry Mr. Janich). I would really like to see Spyderco do a short sprint of the Assist for defense. Take a look at the pictures below. Both knives are held a “proper” neutral hand position for maximum grip strength as Janich recommends in this style of SD. The Yojimassist has far greater penetration for hitting those tendons. Note, I am a big advocate for Mr. Janich’s SD style.

This is due to the rescue knife design that angles the tip of the knife forward and because the blade is about 0.5 in longer.

Plus, the Assist has a handle with amazing grip retention and the blade has cobra hood. It is really an unstoppable blade. And, it all else fails … there’s always the whistle!!
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Nice wharnies mods, guys! I never knew that there was an Assist 2; that's really interesting.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Nice job on your mods. I too, slip and scratch my blades because I'm always in a hurry to git 'er done.
- best wishes, Jazz.