If you could only keep three...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

If you could only keep three...

Post by Surfingringo »

Lol, I know, I know. There's a million of these threads and they are a little silly but I enjoy them. It's really just a different way of asking what your three favorites are. What I like about these threads is they are thought provoking. Sometimes I find that when I really consider the possibility of only keeping three knives (spydercos) it turns out to be a different three than what I would tell you were my three "favorites". Not sure if that makes sense. Whatever.

I would keep...
1. Serrated edge Pacifc salt
2. Spyderco Phil Wilson Souhfork

...The first two are easy, but the third is a tight race. Guess I'd have to go with
3. Green paramilitary 2.
Holland

Re: If you could only keep three...

Post by Holland »

Chaparral 2
Dragonfly 2
Gayle Bradley folder
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

1. Manix 2 S110V LW
2. Southard
3. Yojimbo 2 S90V

This is assuming I didn't have those sentimental knives that I'll never part with, which I wouldn't consider selling/trading regardless of the situation.
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

Well considering I'd want to cover all my cutting needs with 3 but simply can't stand fixed on me, only in kitchen, here would be my choices.

1 - SB ladybug That thing never leaves me and I can get it out of my pocket almost anywhere. I was trimming my nail at school waitig for my boys last week when I realized I was... at a school trimming nails with a knife. Not even 1 weird look (must have been lucky, seriously).
2 - Farid K2 On the big size that's not too big to annoy me, the K2 is simply the closest to perfect I saw. Love it.
3 - Would be a race between my ZDP-189 Endura cause I love it so much, and the CF Chap cause it would fit a better place better the 2 others which I wouldn't change for any other model even if it was given to me for free (well in a 3 spyderco max world).
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I hear you. Although I would surely prefer to pick more than only three, I guess if I were forced to choose I'd go with these:

1. Poliwog G-10 -- Simply because this was the first Spydie my wife bought for me. I see this knife and it makes me smile.

2. Starmate (440V) -- This was the first Spyderco I literally fell in love with. I mean, this was like getting a PM2 long before PM2's came into being. I basically forgot about all my other Spydies for about five years because this knife fit my needs perfectly.

3. Pink FRN Cricket (SE) -- This was the first knife I gave to my girlfriend back in the day. I dunno for certain, but I'll bet this is why she married me. :rolleyes:
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

Yes, the answers are different, because (at least in my case) I have to consider stupid legal blade-length limits. So, my favorites may not make the list because I have to keep that in mind.

1. Stretch FRN, VG-10, PE (C90PBK) - Just perfect.
2. Native 5, FRN, S35VN (C41PBK5) - For when I need the least weight, or to comply with idiotic laws. Preferred over the Delica because it's more comfortable for IWB carry.
3. Karahawk (C170GP) - For self-defense. (I actually have an Emerson Combat Karambit which I prefer for this purpose, though.)

4. Manix 2 XL, G-10, S30V (C95GP2) - I can't remember the last time I carried this one, but it's so nice. :)
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Southfork, Aqua Salt, and Para 2, really glad I'm not limited to 3 :)
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

1. PM2 S35VN
2. Manix 2 LW S110V
3. My trusty always with me Manbug Super Blue
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

1 Southfork
2 Cruwear Manix
3 M390 Para 2/Ti Military (tie/flip a coin)
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

Southard
Caly 3 ZDP
Dragonfly Salt Serrated
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

They're not my favourite three (And I can't decide on three so my third choice is a tie that I'd be happy enough with either option).

1) CTS 204P PM2
2) Seratta
3) Schempp Tuff/CruWear Millie

From an EDC standpoint the Seratta makes no sense on my end (Can't carry a fixed blade as EDC), but if I only had to have 3 for the rest of my life I'd have it in the lineup.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
ForrestChump

Post by ForrestChump »

1) Gayle Bradley

2) Backup Gayle Bradley

3) Backup for my backup Gayle Bradley

:spyder:
The Official, Unofficial Gayle Bradley Picture Thread!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65859" target="_blank
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Hmmmm tough decision. I only have a few spydies right now but I love all of them.

1. Cruwear millie. Amazing knife. Love the steel. Is always in my pocketm

2. Tough choice here. Between my cruwear manix or super blue delica. I think I'll go with my delica. The super blue is again an amazing g steel. I just love how easy it is to make it super scary sharp. I wish it was in g10 but only complaint.

3. I don't even have this knife yet but it's in the mail. Salt Dragonfly. I fish ALOT! not as much as surfingringo but more than others. Corrosion resistance comes in big here. This choice will probably change to a Pacific salt once I can afford it but the dfly will work for now.
Blue Possum

Post by Blue Possum »

Dyad Jr - sprint run

Stretch

Salt Saver
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I'm kind of surprised more folks aren't throwing a fixed blade into their lineup. The truth is, since I got my Southfork earlier this year I have used it way more than any of my folders. A lot of that has been at the cleaning table but lot has just been in the kitchen.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

That's exactly what I did. I had a whole Spyderco collection and sold or traded them all but

Dragonfly ( which is on my keychain)
Caly 3.5
Sage 2 Titanium
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Chokwe
Stretch Super Blue
Aqua Salt SE
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Surfingringo wrote:I'm kind of surprised more folks aren't throwing a fixed blade into their lineup. The truth is, since I got my Southfork earlier this year I have used it way more than any of my folders. A lot of that has been at the cleaning table but lot has just been in the kitchen.
I just bought a Southfork from a forum member we both know, and I've used it for less than a week so I'll need more time to know for sure, but I still think I prefer my Seratta at this point. It's not in my top 3, but it made it into my list. In a "Mad Max, Road Warrior" type scenario it would be the one single knife I'd want more than any other, even though it's not in my top 5 (EDC carry as a priority).

---> Branden
41Mag

Post by 41Mag »

1.) Military
2.) GB
3.) Goddard LW (OD green)
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

41Mag wrote:1.) Military
2.) GB
3.) Goddard LW (OD green)
Your option #3 intrigues me...I have said knife and like it enormously. Not enough to make it into a top 3 all time list, but it's good to see some love for such a great design. I was holding mine not 5 minutes ago and I plan to carry it for at least the next few days.

---> Branden