K2 vs. Lionspy, who wins?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Johnnie1801

K2 vs. Lionspy, who wins?

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I was just wondering which knife would come out on top between the K2 and Lionspy. They are kind of similar and have the same intended use so I was just wondering if one out performs the other or if they come out at about even. I'd like to hear the views of anyone that has one of these knives or both (and please post lots of pics :D )
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Laethageal

Re: K2 vs. Lionspy, who wins?

Post by Laethageal »

Can't say anything positive/negative about the lionspy that would be from my experience so I'll let other discuss it.

On the other hand:

Absolutly love my K2 :)
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I have neither, but the differences in edge geometries and steels will make your question purely subjective depending on the intended use of either knife. Both will perform better doing different tasks...they're only similar in the fact that they're heavy duty knives, but the geometries and steels make this at least somewhat of a moot point.

To answer the question we'd need to know the intended use (More specifically) that you'd theoretically put both knives through in order to be able to make any comment that's actually worth a grain of salt.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

As pointed out already, comparing the two without knowing more context is a fairly oranges and apples comparison.

If I had to choose one for an EDC, I would choose the Lionspy since I can't legally carry a blade over 4" long. Overall the size of the Lionspy would be a big advantage for that purpose. An even more EDC friendly option would be to wait for the Lil' Lionspy.

If I was looking purely for a hard-use folder to use around the yard, the K2 certainly has proven itself in that capacity. The one criticism I have heard about the K2 does make me pause though, the corners of the handles are rough on the hands after prolonged intense use. Wearing gloves probably solves that however.

This is entirely specific to my tastes/requirements however, and YMMV depending on your needs/limitations.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Able Dog wrote:As pointed out already, comparing the two without knowing more context is a fairly oranges and apples comparison.

If I had to choose one for an EDC, I would choose the Lionspy since I can't legally carry a blade over 4" long. Overall the size of the Lionspy would be a big advantage for that purpose. An even more EDC friendly option would be to wait for the Lil' Lionspy.

If I was looking purely for a hard-use folder to use around the yard, the K2 certainly has proven itself in that capacity. The one criticism I have heard about the K2 does make me pause though, the corners of the handles are rough on the hands after prolonged intense use. Wearing gloves probably solves that however.

This is entirely specific to my tastes/requirements however, and YMMV depending on your needs/limitations.
That and Elmax is probably more damage resistant (Though with less edge retention)...hard to say since the geometry is different but I'd wager that the Elmax is tougher. It's entirely dependent on the usage scenario which will perform better, gloved, un-gloved,material being cut, etc. As another example, the rough corners on the K2 may very well be offset by the handle/blade being less "Tall", causing it to be less obtrusive when reaching into a pocket to grab something, which may cause it to carry better...it all comes down to what use you're subjecting either knife to, and also how you intend to carry said knife.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

Seriously this thing about handle isn't that bad as people seems to think. Unless you plan to do hours straight of hard cutting in a row with no gloves at all, in a pace like you were watched over by a boss holding a whip, it doesn't hurt. Yup it doesn't feel like a delicate tool made from the mold of your hand. But I find it pretty decent and in fact don't use gloves unless I'm gonna do so close cutting to the hand holding what I cut(anticut gloves to avoid a big mess if I slip) or when cutting wood just because I like going close to full strength which at the same time give a really high pressure on the handle and brings up the chances of something going wrong. With a knife this size you don't want something to go wrong while putting 30+ pounds of pressure on the knife.
I've hacked down the pile of wood you might have saw in my review in about 1.5hours without wearing glove and had no soar spot in my hand after this. But at the same time I must add that I'm used to work with my hands everyday using various tools so they might be less sensitive then some out there. But in no way do I hand superhuman hands that doesn't feel pain.

It's not perfect but no where close to enough to have you avoid the knife. The stretch hurts my hand 50x more then the k2 because if I ever take a solid hold of the knife my finger squeeze together.
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I agree, the K2 isn't bad at all and I used it for like 15 hours of real blade time cutting cardboard and rope, used gloves for the rope, but not the cardboard.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

The K2 was too wide in the handle for my small/medium hand. The Lionspy is more comfortable for me.
The K2 is ground thinner. The Lionspy should cut less efficiently or hold up to more abuse in stock form.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

For such a large folder, the K2 is really nice.
I would love to check out a LionSpy sometime.
I've head though that the fit and finish is hit and miss. But, maybe that was with the early models?
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Sorry guys I was in a hurry and forgot to mention comparing the knives for hiking/trekking & camping environments. As far as I remember Molletta designed the Lionsteel SR1/Lionspy based on his hiking experiences and Farid designed the K2 for outdoor use. Even though they are different designs they seem to be quite equal in terms of performance. I guess it comes down to 10v vs. Elmax + convex grind :p
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
SpydyLover123

Post by SpydyLover123 »

Lionspy for me.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Hi guy's i also have a little question for the owners of the lionspy.
How is the grind on this one?
Because me and my brother had a few lionsteels sr2's and tispine.. and the grind of those where thickker (at the edge!! :o ) as a blade of an axe should be . terrible for a folding knife!! and impossible to give it a real sharp edge because of that thickness.
Now since spyderco changed the design of the sr1 i was wondering did they make the lionspy thinner behind the edge ( as a normal spyderco) or did lionsteel keep it the same way as there own blades ?
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I don't have a K2.
My LionSpy is pretty much flawless. The blade and grind is a lot sturdier than what will probably be practical for a folder, but after I thinned out the edge it cuts well. It looks great, carries well and it is one of the few folders I don't mind prying a bit with. It feels pretty indestructible and is comfortable even when using a lot of force.

As an outdoor folder I'd much prefer a Military over any of the 2 (Due to blade shape, handle and weight). I normally carry when hiking, hunting or camping though..
Last edited by NoFair on Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Lionspy fit and finish is top notch, no issues. Like I said, it's ground very thick, especially towards the tip. I don't have a caliper to measure but I'd guess that it's thicker behind the edge than most other Spydies.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Wowserz.....Amazon has the LionSpy for $215+free shipping.....
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

MacLaren wrote:Wowserz.....Amazon has the LionSpy for $215+free shipping.....
That is a great deal. Paid something like that for mine as well.