Who else EDC's a UK Pen?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
.357 mag

Who else EDC's a UK Pen?

Post by .357 mag »

I received a combo edge drop point in trade about 4 months ago. Before this knife the delica has been the best edc for me. I was to the point of ordering a new Delica when this trade came in. The Pen knife was like new never sharpened for $25 shipped. Why not?

Well my delica order never happened. I've been carrying this blade everyday since I got it. In my eyes this is my new delica. The UK pen has everything the delica doesn't that I want in a edc knife. Deep wire clip, drop point blade, and a choil. The knife is the newer model with the BD1 steel. I like it. It's a great steel. It's not a super steel or even VG-10 for that matter but it holds an edge long enough for me. The combo edge I'm still on the fence about. Some days I like it. The serrations come in handy. Other days I wish for a little more blade length. I see a full length PE drop point in my future.

As stated above this knife as been used solid since I got it. It's been to work cutting boxes to bags to paper. At home it's been rope/paracord to wire ties to rubber hose. In the field it's covered feather sticks to food prep to skinning and cleaning game. In the 4 months I've used it, I just touched it up on a 600 grit DMT red stone. The days and weeks before today a few passes on a kitchen steel kept the edge uniform.

My last thoughts on the knife is the lock. THE KNIFE DOESNT HAVE ONE! This is my first one handed opener without a lock. Before receiving it I wasn't sure I'd like it. I've always had a lock on my EDC blades. After carrying it for a week I decided a lock wasn't needed. The knife hasn't tried to close on me once.

Overall I think everyone should have one of these in their collection. They are a great value for the money. If you don't like it after you get one just send it to me. I'll make sure it gets used.
Liquid Cobra

Re: Who else EDC's a UK Pen?

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Wow it sounds like you're really putting that thing through its paces. I love my UKPK as well as my Urban. I'm a big fan of slip joints and I agree with you completely about the lock. I don't come close to using my knives like you do, so it's cool to hear that the lack of lock isn't a huge deal for you.

I prefer the G10 models to the FRN, but I'm glad there's the option. That being said, I'm waiting to buy the PITS folder once it is released. I was hoping to get it before Xmas..
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I rotated between a titanium one and my urban leaf for about a year and a half until the Kiwi4 kicked it out of my pocket. I've always wished that they would do mule steels on the UKPKs, or make a UKPK 3.5 on the Caly 3.5 frame.
Skywarp

Post by Skywarp »

SolidState wrote:I've always wished that they would do mule steels on the UKPKs, or make a UKPK 3.5 on the Caly 3.5 frame.
UKPK 3.5 won't happen as blades above 3" are not legal to carry in the UK.
I miss the G10/S30V UKPK. It's one of those I regret selling on.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I think I would like any UKPK but the drop point sells it to me the most. Flat ground S30V G-10 would make the Christmas list.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

All the UKPK and Urban blades are beautiful tools to carry, hold, and use. I've got a modded Urban in my pocket today, as a matter of fact. This one has scales made from Hopea Stone Burl wood.

I'm really excited about Sal's news that they are re-releasing the Urban with FRN scales made in Maniago. Think of it as a "cousin" to the Squeak.

TedP

Donut

Post by Donut »

Skywarp wrote:
SolidState wrote:I've always wished that they would do mule steels on the UKPKs, or make a UKPK 3.5 on the Caly 3.5 frame.
Okay, so we'll call it the USPK. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I'm a big fan of the UKPK's and the other slipjoint Spydies. I'm always ready to see some more orange! Cheers, Radioactive :)

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Donut wrote:
Skywarp wrote:
Okay, so we'll call it the USPK. :)
Yes!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Nice Orange show RA!!! John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Donut beat me to it.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

My leaf-shaped SE Grey UKPK is a great knife. I usually carry locking blades only, but this one is a great cutter and as long as I use the choil I don't worry about it closing on me. I just don't stab anything with it.
delphidoc

Post by delphidoc »

Love me some UKPKs. I started out with a leaf blade and a drop-point in FRN. Then I lucked out and scored a leaf blade with green G10 scales. It's my favorite of the UKPKs and one of my favorite knives, period. Love to carry it.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I love the ukpks...the g10 ones were by far the best. I carried mine quite a lot.

I would love to see maybe a sprint in the g10. And the Urban leaf was a killer knife. One of my all time favorite spydies...just wish I could find another one!!
On the hunt for...
Mr. Shawn

Post by Mr. Shawn »

I have been EDCing a black FRN UKPK with FFG leaf blade for a couple of months now, and I now find it incredibly challenging to even carry my next favorite, the Caly 3. The UKPK is so lightweight and fits my hand perfectly that I cannot do without it. My cutting chores are very slight (mainly envelopes and the occasional loose thread on clothes), but I know the blade is ready to handle heavier use around the house when needed.

I also have a FFG drop-point version, and I enjoy both versions so much that I'm trying to pass my Caly Jrs. (burgundy and gray) on to other Spydie lovers because I totally prefer the tip-up, wire-clip carry of the UKPK / Caly 3 series.
Last edited by Mr. Shawn on Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I pulled out my blue frn plain leaf UKPK this morning. I like this thing a whole lot. The cf Chaparral is my typical work edc, a little more compact and refined, but it needs a break every now and then.

The UKPK fits my hand better. I like it so much as-is that it has also kept me from getting a Caly 3, or at least will tide me over until the next sprint. The "grid" texture is probably my favorite frn, grippy but a little subdued, not too aggressive.
:spyder:
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

The UKPKs are really a great knife for what you pay.

Here are a few of mine:

Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

My most used knife is the G10 UKPK Rescue. It feels like a spyderedged finger and surely is capable of doing hard work.
The other UKPK I often use is an orange FRN PE leaf blade (the FRN Rescue is brown now :cool: ).
The UKPK handle design is perfect for me, no hot spots, perfect ergonomics always directing the edge in the right direction, G10+CF ones feeling a little better than FRN because of width. I really would like to see a UKPK Rescue SE FFG sprint-knowing it is very sure not to happen.
It is not necessary to avoid longer blades or locks in my country so I was hesitant to get a knife designed for restrictions I probably will not experience but the UKPK is the best folding knife design I own!