A Tale of 2 Nilakka's

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MacLaren

A Tale of 2 Nilakka's

Post by MacLaren »

I've enjoyed my Nilakka so much that when the Sports Authority had them for $125 over the weekend, I got a back up. My original Nilakka was born January 2013. The new Nilakka I received today was born May 2014. Both are a little different. Like Blade thickness, Blade thinness, Handle length, and weight to name a few. Overall I like my original early model better. Its lighter, has a keener tip, and shorter for better blade to handle ratio. But, that's just me. I just thought it interesting and wanted to note the differences through the forum for others to compare. Also, the latter Nilakka came with a white card that gives warnings against chopping, and other hard use chores to the edge. Thats cool as the Nilakka is built for speed? For lack of a better word. Kinda like a fine tuned Farrari. At any rate, Ill get on to the pic so y'all can see what Im talking about.
MacLaren

Re: A Tale of 2 Nilakka's

Post by MacLaren »

My original is on the right and bottom in the pics
swigert

Post by swigert »

The difference in overall length really surprises me the most. Anyone know the story behind this? Did people just need more room for griping the knife
?
Bugout Bill

Post by Bugout Bill »

The new Nilakkas are kind of overbuilt.
" Two guns, flashlight, two 12-gauge cartridges, and a knife because—just because—every little boy should have a knife.." -- Louis Awerbuck on his EDC
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I'm not really sure swigert. Also, the action on mine is noticeably smoother. Now, that could just be because mine has been oiled and opened and closed more. However, I don't remember mine being as stiff (that's a bad word, because its really not) mine was just smoothest when new.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Bugout Bill wrote:The new Nilakkas are kind of overbuilt.
Yeah. And in that respect, I do like the newer version. Both are wonderful pieces. I'm just splitting hairs.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

That's really interesting Mac, any precedence of this happening with other models to such a degree (Deacon?)?
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
LC Kid

Nice Comparison

Post by LC Kid »

Hi MacLaren!

THX Much for such interesting comparison.

Most of the differences are not that big, but the closed length is actually a huge one. :rolleyes:
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

That's weird! What's the difference in closed and overall length?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This knife needs S110V sooooooo bad.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Evil D wrote:This knife needs S110V sooooooo bad.
Lol, you just ain't kiddin! It would be incredible.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Here's something to think about. My first Nilakka above my second one.

The second over the first.

Belly to belly

The length difference is an optical illusion caused by the curvature of the handle.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

...or M4, or 10V, or 3V, or 4V, or Cruwear, or,or,or....
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Lmao, you are exactly right! Wow.
I should have investigated further... :eek:
The newer version being a bit heavier, I just didn't think.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I know S110V is very popular right now, but to be honest, I would not buy a S110V version.

I would much rather get a Nilakka with a steel that is designed for high edge stability and to hold high sharpness for a long time than such a thin high carbide one.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
bengaiser

Post by bengaiser »

yablanowitz wrote:The length difference is an optical illusion caused by the curvature of the handle.
But the blade and spine thickness, grind and taper are not. Very interesting thread.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Brock O Lee wrote:
I know S110V is very popular right now, but to be honest, I would not buy a S110V version.

I would much rather get a Nilakka with a steel that is designed for high edge stability and to hold high sharpness for a long time than such a thin high carbide one.
Maybe we have different definitions of high level of sharpness but I've had nothing but amazing results with my Manix. It has held a shaving edge longer than anything I've owned.
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

I think the new version with added thickness has lost part of the original spirit but it's true you can have problems with edge stability in the zero grind S30V blade. If you put a microbevel it's enough to have a wonderful cutter when hard work isn't required.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Evil D wrote:
Brock O Lee wrote:

Maybe we have different definitions of high level of sharpness but I've had nothing but amazing results with my Manix. It has held a shaving edge longer than anything I've owned.
Maybe... In my experience, both my S110V Native and Manix lose their shaving ability fairly quickly, but then keep on cutting at a low sharpness for a long time after that. I tend to sharpen soon after the shaving sharpness disappears.

In general, my Superblues and M4's hold that high sharpness a few times longer than the S110V blades. I think that's why I am enjoying the Stretch so much.

My main concern with S110V is chipping. Especially with a zero-grind like the Nilakka. When I look at the history of the Nilakka, and the initial edge stability issues it had at those very low angles with S30V, I think its safe to say that you will see much more of those same issues with S110V.

I still need to get a Nilakka, it's high on the have-to-get list. But only after I found a backup SB Stretch... :p
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I've got 204p,m4,S30V, 10v,and VG10. All very sharp. But the one I handle with extreme care is that **** 10V K2. That knife will bite ya.
I'm not saying its better or worse at edge holding or anything, just its the sharpest I have.