Any thin blade stock fans?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
timlara

Any thin blade stock fans?

Post by timlara »

I finally got around to picking up a Centofante 3 since I ran across a deal too good to pass up and WOW, what a great knife! The thinner than average blade stock really cuts like a laser. Compared to some of my beefier Spydies, it's almost ridiculous how seemingly little pressure it takes to make light duty cuts like zipping open a bubble mailer package. Just effortless with no drag at all!

Not to say that any of my "heavy duty" Spydies are slouches by any means -- and I guess I'd still probably choose my PM2, Manix, or Domino as an all-around sweet spot between cutting performance and durability -- but man, it's been a while since I carried a really thin blade so I'm loving this thing! :D

Anybody else a fan of thin blades?
yablanowitz

Re: Any thin blade stock fans?

Post by yablanowitz »

Yep. So much so that most of my cutting gets done with traditional slipjoints anymore. Of course, you can start with thick stock and grind it down thin enough to cut well, like the Nilakka, and you can start with thin stock and leave the grind thick enough to cut poorly. My first Centofante 3 went on the belt sander to thin the edge.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Love my Chaparral and wish Spyderco would offer a Stretch with a 2mm or thinner blade.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
78lilred

Post by 78lilred »

Most of my cutting is done with a Caly 3.5 other knives are more for amusement and sloppy/abusive cutting. Chaparral is high on my list since its one of the thinner stock knives, just wish the blade length was similar to the Caly 3.5.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I love thin blades as well. My Stretch was reground by Brad S back in the day and remains my favorite user. :). Put the Cento3 blade at 3.5" into the Stretch handle and my heart might skip a beat!
Holland

Post by Holland »

Thin stocks are my favourite as as well. Wish every knife came with a 2mm option :D I was thinking of regrinding a techno down to 2mm, a lightweight slicer techno!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I love thin blade stocks for most of my cutting chores. Anyone who has used the Catcherman, Vesuvius or any Centofante would certainly agree slicing is a much more enjoyable experience with thin stock.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I wish Calys and Kopas would have 2 mm stock blades. I understood why kopas have 3mm
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Depends a lot on the knife and especially the blade size. I don't mind how thin SAK blades are, but for most of my knives I think 3mm in a blade that's wide enough to allow a FFG to transition and be very thin behind the edge is a nice sweet spot between strength and slicing ability.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Not a whole lot of experience here with thin stock but I did recently order a Nilakka and am looking forward to its arrival, I just hope its not too thin for EDC use, some of the vids I've been checking out on Ytube make me wonder.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Yup, love thin blades. Carry a SAK everyday and love the way it cuts. I have enjoyed carrying a Centofante4 for a while now and just picked up a Chaparral and really enjoy it so far. They are both 2mm.

I also love that the delica is only 2.5mm and would certainly carry a delica at say 1.7mm and love it.

Sign me up for the 2mm stretch as well. :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
timlara

Post by timlara »

The Deacon wrote:Love my Chaparral and wish Spyderco would offer a Stretch with a 2mm or thinner blade.
Oooh...did not notice the Chaparral is also spec'd at 2mm! More wallet damage...thanks a lot, Paul!! :)

Edit: Count me in for a thinner Stretch as well. That would be getting into grail territory for sure!
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Try a Catcherman, even if you have no filleting use specifically.
timlara

Post by timlara »

Evil D wrote:Depends a lot on the knife and especially the blade size. I don't mind how thin SAK blades are, but for most of my knives I think 3mm in a blade that's wide enough to allow a FFG to transition and be very thin behind the edge is a nice sweet spot between strength and slicing ability.
I agree, and assume that's probably why Spyderco seems to mostly use 3mm(ish) stock on the majority of their blades. Still, it's just fun to use a super thin blade for light tasks or just to amaze non-afis who've never used a good knife. :D
timlara

Post by timlara »

Cliff Stamp wrote:Try a Catcherman, even if you have no filleting use specifically.
On the want list, no doubt! (Hint, hint: 2015 sprint ideas?)
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Big fan here of both the Chaps and the Centofante 3 and 4 with the thin blade stock. I would love to see a Super Blue version of the Centofante 3 and 4 especially, and perhaps a SB Cento 4 could be a great sprint idea as well. With some dark blue scales perhaps? Some 2 mm ZDP-189 would also be great in a sprint.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Nilakka, being a zero grind. I really like this knife. So much so, I ordered a back up, when they were $125 from Sports Authority. I've yet to have any problems with mine. Although, it may happen. I believe Spyderco had some issues with the earliest models but, then corrected them? At least that's what I recollect.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I'm a big fan of my Chaparral, I think the thin stock works very well in that design. I don't often find myself wanting most of my other ones to be too much thinner, my Sage 3 is just fine, for instance.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I like thin blades, like the Spyderco kitchen sharps and the FFG Delicas. At work I use my PM2 in ways that require more lateral rigidity, yet I'm tempted to thin the primary grind so it is thinner behind the edge for better performance. Thin to win it.
spyder_happy

Post by spyder_happy »

I am another happy chapparall owner. Actually replaced my centofante 3 which went to my girlfriend!