DPS Angles for popular Spyderco knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DansGunBlog

DPS Angles for popular Spyderco knives?

Post by DansGunBlog »

Hey guys!

Does anyone have a reference for what the actual "DPS angles" are for popular Spyderco knives, i.e. Resilience, Sage, Military, PM2?

This is a continuation for me of my thread regarding problems sharpening my Sage 1 on the SharpMaker - and thought it could be very useful to know what those angles actually ARE. :-)

Thanks!
Dan
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
The Deacon

Re: DPS Angles for popular Spyderco knives?

Post by The Deacon »

I'm sure you are not alone in feeling that it would be great to know the actual angles. However, Spyderco's knives are all final ground by hand, so the "bad news" is that within a given model the actual angle will vary somewhat from knife to knife, and sometimes from side to side on a given blade. The "good news" is that I'm fairly certain there are devices you can purchase that will give you an accurate reading of the actual angle(s) of each of your personal knives. You'll still be faced with the reality that, without fixtures of some kind holding both the blade and the stone, the human hand is simply not capable of holding any angle, including straight vertical, with 100% consistency. If you want to sharpen with a Sharpmaker, then IMHO, the best you can do is to acquire a coarse flat stone and a medium flat stone, build a simple wooden "ramp" fixture to hold them at a 75º angle, and use those stones in that fixture to re-profile your knives. Once that's done you can use the Sharpmaker's 30º setting, with a couple final passes at 40º, to maintain sharpness.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Just as Deacon mentioned, there isn't a universal awnser to this since it'll vary from knife to knife. Pick yourself up an angle gauge to find out ;) There's even a Spyderco one :p Sad to say they're not easy to find though... Regular angle gauges are, but I've been chasing the Spyderco ones for quite some time...
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

I doubt the variety in angles between specific knives or models is by design.
So I don't think maintaining the original angles offers any special benefits over re-profiling apart from removing the least amount of steel to keep them sharp.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Dan,

We shoot for 30 degrees (15 dps). But as mentioned, there are many variables.

sal