Caly 3.5 discontinued?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Caly 3.5 discontinued?

Post by twinboysdad »

Cutlery Shoppe shows it as discontinued...this simply cannot be true, right?
MacLaren

Re: Caly 3.5 discontinued?

Post by MacLaren »

It's very true I'm afraid.
The question is whether the Caly 3.5 zdp will be the onky game in town, or.....
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I am speechless...I always have chased the next Spyderco but never considered knocking the 3.5 out of my pocket. I suppose all my new knife money will go to PNR Caly 3.5's. What is next, discontinuing the Ladybug Hawkbill? I am still just scratching my head how the best knife I have ever owned is discontinued...
sok

Post by sok »

Going by Cutlery Shoppe's site, it is only the G-10 version that is being discontinued. That is disappointing. I probably need to pick a couple up.
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Considering that's one of the most talked about and popular models on this forum, I find this very surprising.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

twinboysdad wrote: I am still just scratching my head how the best knife I have ever owned is discontinued...
I am stunned. But this happened with me before as well, when C83 Persian and Caly3 were discontinued. Probably will buy one more back-up.
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

This surprises me, just as discontinuation of the standard PE VG-10 Stretch (C90PBK) surprises me. But I have to think they know what they're doing (other than making us cry on the inside).
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

How many of you are raving over the standard model, or are your favorites the sprint models? Either way the Caly 3 suffered the same fate and if I remember right it took about the same amount of time.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

What !!!!!!! The Caly 3.5 is the best edc Spyderco has ever made. I'm glad I already have a G10/VG 10 version which has been my favorite of all Spydercos and constant companion since I bought it.
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

I have this secret hope that the standard VG-10 version of this knife is moving to an FRN handle as some on this forum have requested to make it more affordable. I know that this is a pipe dream, but it's what I'm clinging to.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Evil D wrote:Either way the Caly 3 suffered the same fate and if I remember right it took about the same amount of time.
Not exactly the same. VG10/G10 Caly3 basically was replaced with VG10/G10 Caly3.5. Will happen something like this with Caly3.5 (I mean that the knife will be replaced with something similar) we do not know yet, but I think that this is unlikely event. I am sad :( :( :( :( :( :(
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

bh49 wrote:
Evil D wrote:Either way the Caly 3 suffered the same fate and if I remember right it took about the same amount of time.
Not exactly the same. VG10/G10 Caly3 basically was replaced with VG10/G10 Caly3.5. Will happen something like this with Caly3.5 (I mean that the knife will be replaced with something similar) we do not know yet, but I think that this is unlikely event. I am sad :( :( :( :( :( :(
a Caly 3.75 would be sweet.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

All we know is the SKU listed by Kristi is discontinued. A group of loyalists being in shock never saved a Spydie from the chopping block. Whether they are tuning up a Caly3.75 or dropping it due to poor sales, who knows besides the maker? :confused:
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Blerv wrote:All we know is the SKU listed by Kristi is discontinued. A group of loyalists being in shock never saved a Spydie from the chopping block. Whether they are tuning up a Caly3.75 or dropping it due to poor sales, who knows besides the maker? :confused:
Maybe he will fill us in ;)
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Regarding the Stretch being discontinued, could it be that the new improved Stretch is just around the corner? No such update to the Caly line has reached my ears, however. Spyderco (like all makers) needs to avoid the Osborne effect WRT new improved models.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Evil D wrote:How many of you are raving over the standard model, or are your favorites the sprint models? Either way the Caly 3 suffered the same fate and if I remember right it took about the same amount of time.
I'm raving over the standard model, but I also love my 3.5 SB even though the F&F isn't great. Either way, they're both discontinued now :(

@liquid_cobra
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Bill1170 wrote:Regarding the Stretch being discontinued, could it be that the new improved Stretch is just around the corner? No such update to the Caly line has reached my ears, however. Spyderco (like all makers) needs to avoid the Osborne effect WRT new improved models.
Seems a bit premature, as Sal said they would first tool up a G-10 version and perhaps make refinements from there before tooling molds for the new FRN version. Seeing as how the G-10 version isn't even out yet, I'd wager the updated FRN Stretch is still a ways down the road.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Happy me ! I allready purchased 3 of them.Now I have to buy me a CF ZDP189 one.Or two :D .But it's interesting since I remember Sal saying that he carries a Caly 3.5.But I have a questions for Caly 3.5 lovers: why do you favor Caly 3.5 instead of Para 2 ? Just curious....
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

bh49 wrote:
Not exactly, Roman. IIRC, there was a gap of several years between the G-10 Caly 3 being dropped and the G-10 Caly 3.5 being added.

Still, it does pay to remember that when Spyderco discontinues an SKU, it does not always mean the knife disappears completely, sometimes it's just a materials change that requires a new SKU. In the case of the Caly 3.5, it could be that they're just switching colors of peel-ply G-10, switching from peel ply to polished or corrugated G-10, or switching to a different scale material altogether, like Nishijin Glass or a Japanese version of Pakawood/Dymondwood. Heck, given the love here for Super Blue, it could even mean the VG-10 is being replaced by that, with something other than grey G-10 to differentiate it from the Sprints. Heck, there even an outside chance that the VG-10 Caly 3.5 and Stretch are swapping blade shapes. :eek: One or more of those things could also be the reason that several other models are on that list. Hopefully, the PDF versions of the 2015 catalog will be out in the next couple weeks and we'll know for sure what's really going away and what's just shape-shifting a bit.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

elena86 wrote:Happy me ! I allready purchased 3 of them.Now I have to buy me a CF ZDP189 one.Or two :D .But it's interesting since I remember Sal saying that he carries a Caly 3.5.But I have a questions for Caly 3.5 lovers: why do you favor Caly 3.5 instead of Para 2 ? Just curious....
All of the blade of the Para without the bulky handle. A more refined knife in every way to me. As I have said many times, almost an Endura blade in almost a Delica handle. Deep wire clip, jimped choil. I mean it has fought a mountain lion and won! My standard VG10 has been my business casual EDC for 3 years now. Zero blade play. Only complaint one might have is it doesn't flick open well which means nothing to me. Better blade shape than the Para too. I truly consider the 3.5 to be a wolf in sheep's clothing. Looks like a gent, performs like a roughneck.