Justice for the Spyderedge

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Justice for the Spyderedge

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:My main temptation with the Dyad was always that it would basically force me to carry SE even when I didn't think to, so I would inevitably find more uses for that blade. Otherwise I tend to carry 2 knives.
I've sort taken the same path you've stated here EVIL. In the past 3 years I've carried one PE Spyder along with a fully Serrated Spyderco Hawkbill as a companion blade. I've not carried one of my C-44 Dyads mainly because of them getting more rare and worth more as a collectible. Also I've been using a longer PE blade like the one in my Sprint G-10 Ayoob model.

With that being said I still place the C-44 Dyad very high in my all time JD's Top 10 list of favorite Spyders. The concept of the C-44 Dyad still doesn't have a peer in it's class throughout the entire commercial premium knife industry.

What Spyderco did for the commercial knife industry was to prove that a really high quality serrated knife has multiple uses and has a lot to offer for a knife user who knows what serrated blades are good for. Up till that time most serrated blades in the commercial knife industry were for a lack of a better description were nothing but junk. But Spyderco raised the bar and gave us a serrated knife product that really changed the market overall. Spyderco's product is so good that up till this day there hasn't been a premium commercial company compete with them.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

JD Spydo wrote:... Spyderco's product is so good that up till this day there hasn't been a premium commercial company compete with them.
I have an appreciation for Sal's work, but it seems more than a little unreasonable to note that there is no one else making serrated blades which are simply not junk.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Cliff Stamp wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:... Spyderco's product is so good that up till this day there hasn't been a premium commercial company compete with them.
I have an appreciation for Sal's work, but it seems more than a little unreasonable to note that there is no one else making serrated blades which are simply not junk.
I can appreciate what you're saying Cliff and perhaps I didn't communicate what I meant overall. I'm sure some of the other commercial knife companies did do some decent serrated blades. For example I have 2 Benchmade folders that are combo edged and the serration pattern on both of them work very well for the most part. Although I think Spyderco's is better. And as far as selection goes I've not seen any knife company take serrations as seriously as Spyderco has. I've also owned a couple of combo edged Al Mar blades who had decent serration patterns.

I was basically saying that Spyderco is truly the king of the serrated blade and has done an excellent job in marketing the serrated blade over the past 15 to 20 years or so. I never owned a fully serrated folder until I got my first Spyder back in 1995 which was a GIN-1 Mariner and I was just mind blown as to how good it was compared to many other serrated blades I had experienced in the past. No I wasn't trying to assert that all the other commercial knife companies were all trashy by any means. I was just simply saying that I believe Spyderco has taken the serrated edge to a higher level that anyone did previously. And I had never desired to use one until I got my first 3 to 4 fully serrated Spyderedged knives.

If I sounded derrogatory or if I led anyone to believe that no other company had any serrated equipment that was high quality I didn't mean that at all. But I will go on record saying that when it comes to fully serrated folders and fully serrated fixed blades I do put Spyderco at the top of the list. I would more than welcome to try any other company who uses high quality blade steel and a decent serration pattern>> in a way I'm sort of surprised that no other company has tried to compete with Spyderco in that sector of the market. But again I didn't mean anything hostile by what I previously said in my earlier posts in regards to any other company's serrated blades and I'm sorry that some of you may have taken it that way.

JD :spyder: O
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

Cliff Stamp wrote:
I don't see JD implying other are junk but that none attained the quality of Spyderco's work.
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Laethageal wrote: I don't see JD implying other are junk but that none attained the quality of Spyderco's work.
He didn't imply it, he directly stated it "Up till that time most serrated blades in the commercial knife industry were for a lack of a better description were nothing but junk.". While I can understand praise of a particular product, at some point when it is exceeded it becomes damaging. If someone remarked to you that all other liner locks besides Spyderco's were garbage this is unlikely to convince you of the quality of Spyderco's locks as it is too extreme. In any case the followup post clarifies the position.

Spyderco has a very aggressive serration pattern which works well in a variety of media. However there are many people making serration patterns which also have strong performance, but are geared towards other properties. McClung for example uses a chisel tipped, very shallow serration which has durability for chopping/impact. Boye uses a much less aggressive pattern which does far less of the rip/tear of Spyderco's but is much more fluid in cutting. CRK&T are strongly promoting the new Veff serrations which are more aggressive than Boye's but are designed to also be very fluid, Cold Steel was one of the first to adapt that very small serration commonly found on the "never need sharpening" kitchen knife to folding knives. There are also custom knifemakers like Fisher who have many different serration types.

In the large scale commercial industry, reflected in utility blades and such, serrations are of course commonly used in steak knives, bread knives, sod knives and knives for cutting shingles and such. The most (in)famous being the serration pattern which allowed the Ginsu knives to cut up a shoe/nail/tile and still "slice a tomato".
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

NOT GUILTY!!! OK Cliff and all you other good people here at Spyderville>> I now plead NOT GUILTY to what's being stated about my previous comment I made at my post at the top of Page 3. OK here is verbatim what I stated>>>"Up Till That Time Most Serrated Blades In The Commercial Knife Industry Were For A Lack Of A Better Description Were Nothing But Junk">> Yes that is exactly what I said. OK let's take a close look at that statement. First and foremost I stated that MOST, yes underline the word MOST and that meant MOST knife companies at that time were not leading the way in a quality manner in the serrated knife sector of the market>> which doesn't say that ALL of the serrated blades on the market up till the time were ALL sub-standard quality but many of them were. Spyderco took serrations to a higher level and to me that can't even be debated>> but it does imply that most serrated knives that were in this market before Spyderco were for the most part third world made cheap knives with cheap blade steel and cheap construction. I know my own mother probably went through about a 1000 of them while I was growing up.

I categorically said MOST of the companies at the time that were producing serrated knives were giving us a very bad quality, sub-standard product. I''ll stand firmly on what I said after carefully looking at my previous statement. I didn't say anything that was inaccurate as far as I can tell. And even today the knife companies that make high quality serrated cutlery are so few and far between that I still maintain that most of the serrated cutlery out there on the open market is garbage. Again I will humbly appoligize if anyone took that statement the wrong way. But I still maintain that Spyderco did indeed take serrated cutlery to a higher level and sort of set a new standard of the industry at the time of their coming to the market with their great SE blades.

I just don't see how anyone could construe what I said as being all out hostile and slanderous or inaccurate. I was just stating what I believe to be an absolute fact. I can still only think of 3 to 5 top quality folders on the market that have premium serrated cutlery IMO that I would buy to put to hard use. Spyderco's H-1 Salt Series in flat out unequaled IMO

Come on folks this is an open forum>> don't we have the right and priviledge of talking about the industry as a whole and giving Spyderco credit where credit is due? I actually would like to see some other company compete "head to head" with Spyderco and bring us some newly created cutlery in SE. But so far I'm not seeing it. Spyderco's serrations are the best IMO and Spyderco truly does have the best Hawkbill blades out there IMO.

NO absolutely not>> looking at my previous statement I really don't think I was being hostile or malicious or unfair at all. Yeah I'm sort of predjudice for Spyderco's product line because I do think it's the best out there at this time.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

JD Spydo wrote:NO look at my previous statement I really don't think I was being hostile or malicious or unfair at all.
I noted it wasn't a reasonable claim, there was no mention of it being hostile/slander, etc. . In any case it would not be slander, but libel and arguing for libel is very difficult in general.

As I noted in the above, I think thing references to "junk" products is not a reasonable comparison given the wealth of other serrated blades and specifically stated :

"Spyderco has a very aggressive serration pattern which works well in a variety of media. However there are many people making serration patterns which also have strong performance, but are geared towards other properties. McClung for example uses a chisel tipped, very shallow serration which has durability for chopping/impact. Boye uses a much less aggressive pattern which does far less of the rip/tear of Spyderco's but is much more fluid in cutting. CRK&T are strongly promoting the new Veff serrations which are more aggressive than Boye's but are designed to also be very fluid, Cold Steel was one of the first to adapt that very small serration commonly found on the "never need sharpening" kitchen knife to folding knives. There are also custom knifemakers like Fisher who have many different serration types.

In the large scale commercial industry, reflected in utility blades and such, serrations are of course commonly used in steak knives, bread knives, sod knives and knives for cutting shingles and such. The most (in)famous being the serration pattern which allowed the Ginsu knives to cut up a shoe/nail/tile and still "slice a tomato" ."

The fact that I disagree without you use of a particular adjective doesn't imply anything other than I don't feel that adjective is warranted.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Another sector I'm seeking Spyderedged JUSTICE for is in the "fixed blade" arena. I've said so many times and it bears repeating that the original FB05 Temperance 1 model was truly somewhat ahead of it's time. The size of the Temperance 1 model is ideal for most backpacking, hunting, fishing or even occupational uses. If it were reintroduced in the H-1 Salt Series it would truly be a high in demand. By being in the H-1 Salt Series it would be more affordable than the Temp 2 or the coveted Southfork.

And don't forget that the original FB05 Temperance 1 model was one of the very few fixed blades that was offered in Spyderedge>> and Lord knows that I've used both my PE & SE Temp 1 a lot more than I have any of my other Spyderco fixed blades.

I think it would be also worth considering the STREETBEAT in either full SE or at least Combo Edge. I would ask that they would make the Southfork in SE but that's probably a "win the lottery" type dream :rolleyes:

But having a quality fixed blade in SE just makes sense when you think about it. Go try to find a serrated Temp 1 model and you'll see what I'm talking about.