Post your seconds sale pickups!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
farnorthdan

Re: Post your seconds sale pickups!

Post by farnorthdan »

Wow, awesome scores all around everyone, made it into Denver around noon yesterday from AK, I was pretty burnt out from the flight so a side trip to golden wasn't in the cards, maybe next year I'll time it better. Can't believe those $50 204P pm2s, been wanting one of those forever.
Last edited by farnorthdan on Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Thanks for the descriptions GoldenSpydie and jabba.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Most depressing thread of the year for everyone not from Colorado !

Are all the seconds guaranteed to have a good heat treat?
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Brock O Lee wrote:Most depressing thread of the year for everyone not from Colorado !

Are all the seconds guaranteed to have a good heat treat?
Yes, they should have a good heat treat and safe lock, as Spyderco says that they are seconds because of "cosmetic blemishes." :)
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

As per November Byte
" Items sold are fully functional with minor blemishes. "
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I will just echo what Jabba and Golden Spydie said. It was a terrific experience and I had an amazing time. We hung out on the front steps all night and just talked knives, flashlights, weather, cars and who knows what else. Good company and a good time and it made the wait and camp out go by quite fast. I got to put some names to faces on the forum here and there were some great people there that were not forumites as well. We had good luck with the weather and for me, thanks to another local product (coors light) I actually slept remarkably well and was the last one up, Lol. The Spydercrew had coffee, water and danishes waiting for us in the morning for the one hour or so wait to get in after they got there.

It was quite hectic at the sale but it was very well organized and people were all very respectful. There was a lot of helping each other find knives and I had way more than I could afford in my basket and had to thin it out quite a bit. In the end I got exactly what I wanted and got some great deals. Jabba, GS and myself all made it into the first group so we were able to find some very low priced or exclusive knives. There were a lot of forum natives and 204p para2s at the sale but I already have both of them. There were more high end knives than expected and there were a ton of regular para2s and manix2s.

Sal took the time to talk with four of us for about an hour like Jabba said and that is always fun. I live close by so I have been able to talk with him before and he is such a down to earth guy and a true knife afi. He was very open and actually talked with me about the Chap4 and Chap5 :eek: and I now know what the handle material is gonna be for the Chap5 and whoa am I excited. I better start saving up now. :D He also pulled a Lil' Temp proto from his pocket as well as the new Roadie and let us fondle both of them.

Also, Goldenspydie brought the Foundry as well as his custom SB Stretch he just made and let me see both of them. Thanks again GS, I really appreciated that. The foundry feels great in hand and I wouldn't mind seeing one reach production in a lighter handle material.

I was able to help out Holland and as soon as I get some time he will have three amazing knives heading his way.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

^ That pretty much sums it up! ^ Great writeup. I didn't see the Roadie, but the Lil' Temp proto was fun to see. The blade is slightly stubbier than I would hope for, but it is still going to be an awesome comp lock knife!

I just biked up the NCAR hill here in Boulder to snap a few pictures of some knives in the wild. I hope you enjoy them!

Holland

Post by Holland »

Awesome Photos!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Did they have any s110v frn manix's?
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

Yes
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Johnnie1801 wrote:Did they have any s110v frn manix's?
Yes--$55.
bearfacedkiller

My haul from the sale. :D

The stones. One each of the medium, fine and uf bench stones(302M, 302F and 302UF). A full set of replacements rods for my sharpmaker(204M, 204F and 204UF). Two double stuffs (303MF). Two each of the profile rods (701M and 701F). Two slip files (400F1SP) and an unknown medium stone. Does anybody know the model number on the medium stone in my hand?

The knives.

The $40 Caly3 damascus. :D

Fluted Ti, the two knives I wanted the most. :D

A teaser for Holland. Be patient buddy. :)

Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

^^^ :eek: ^^^

Darby, that sharpening haul is almost as epic as the $40 Caly Damascus. Love that you got some Profile stones and that unknown medium is very interesting indeed!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Holland

Post by Holland »

It's gonna be hard Darby :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
bearfacedkiller

-Darby
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Thanks a lot for all the great photos and information, guys, especially the pics and stories of the inside and outside of the SFO during the event, as well as the glorious loot. It's really the next best thing to being there. Hats off to Gail and Sal and the rest of the crew for running such a class operation. At least we know that some very deserving people got some great deals. I'm only a paltry 1300 or so miles away, but, for me now, it's as remote as for people in NZ, S. Africa, or Europe. Maybe it can be worked out next time. If so, the info will help out a lot. It's some solace to know that I already have about 20-odd of the knives mentioned (though I paid a lot more and could afford it a lot less :rolleyes: but of course that's true for most of us blokes out here in Spydieland :) ).
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

In all these photos I don't see the mark they put on the blade to indicate it is a 2nd. Is it just really small?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
bearfacedkiller

Liquid Cobra wrote:In all these photos I don't see the mark they put on the blade to indicate it is a 2nd. Is it just really small?
It is quite small and it is only on the clip side.
-Darby
Blue Possum

Post by Blue Possum »

GoldenSpydie wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:GS,

I know you said don't ask but I gotta know the details on that necklace. I've seen someone wearing one before...just one man.
As Jabba pointed out, it's a Titanium Value Totem. Sal was wearing one today, and Gail was wearing a gold one. Sal said today that he majored in philosophy, and the value totem was one of his early ideas. It's a pretty cool little thing. (And no, it's not a second.)

I had also wonder myself, and thought there were only two, Sal's and his wife. It did appear each circle represented something. But it seem to personal to bring up. While the circle representation is personal, but as it is with the Glesser family, if others can find meaning and value to help in life's journal with something they know or have, there are also willing to sure it with others.

Glad the event was successful, and enjoyed by all who attended. I am sure it is win, win for all. Spyderco can recoup some it's cost, it seems like a great meet and greet for their customers. And they people that go, can pick up some knives they might not have bought before, or gift to family and friends. I know some will end up on different web site, in fact they all ready are, and thats ok too.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

GoldenSpydie wrote:
Johnnie1801 wrote:Did they have any s110v frn manix's?
Yes--$55.
Sigh.

That does it I am going to CO. when I retire!

The knife deals are amazing but the stones are almost as amazing. So cheap.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.